The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
dicholscrn

1979 (?) K10 Project

Hello Guys.

Im obviously new here but have been using your forum lately for research, ideas, and entertainment, so thank you for that. I have always wanted either a 70's K10 or K5 and with my birthday a couple weeks ago, the wife finally said she would not complain TOO much if I went out and bought one. So i brought this thing home the next day. It is a 1979 K 10 and at that point thats about all I'm certain of, and even the year gives me doubts. More to that below....

To be completely honest, anything larger than a 2 stroke motorcycle engine and I have about zero idea what I'm doing. But I know how to read and enjoy learning and most importantly I have ALWAYS wanted one of these trucks. The body is straight, has about as little rust as possible, and it starts and drives pretty well. But I have a lot of questions already and will have plenty more throughout.

Told my 6 year old that this will be our project together and in 10 years if she wants the keys we can work out a deal.

Plans for now are to redo the interior, maybe make some engine modifications, upgrade a few things here and there, and eventually maybe paint the thing.
dicholscrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
dicholscrn

Re: 1979 (?) K10 Project

So to start off with there were a couple little surprises when I started taking things apart.

First off I realized that the steering column has been swapped out at some point while trying to trouble shoot the windshield wipers not working. The wipers have controls on the turn signal but when i took the dash off to start tracing wires, I found the wiper/washer switch underneath a blank off plate. to back track a bit I bought a Chiltons book off Ebay that hopefully will be here any day and I will go back to this issue.

Secondly (and most confusing to me) the truck has dual tanks. Currently it is using the passenger side as the drivers side does not have a filler neck (I have since found a neck at a pull n part to replace). While researching what I will need to do to get this drivers tank operational is when most of my confusion has started and hope you guys can shed some light. It is my understanding the 78 was the last year of the exposed gas cap and starting in 79 they started using doors? This is not the case with my truck. There are no doors and appears there never was any. There also is no LH/RH selector switch in the cab and also appears there never was one. No screw holes. No patch. Nothing.

Obviously the second tank could have been added and the bed could have been swapped at some point but Im hoping there is some other explanation. I am at least the third owner and the guy I bought it from is not much help, but he also says the second tank is original and the bed has never been swapped.

I usually just read forums with an occasional 1 or 2 line reply and honestly between this post and the last, this is the most I've typed in a long time and I don't even know if it makes sense. I will continue to update this thread though with more progress and pics and hopefully become a better author.

Ryan
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 AM   #3
71veronica

Great start finding one that isn't rusty. Your bed is probably off of another truck. as for the gas tank it probably only came with one if yours is a base model truck reason being not having the fuel tank switch.Is yours a custom deluxe? Others will be able to help you out more than I came.
71veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
dicholscrn

I honestly do not know as at this point I don't necessarily trust anything the PO told me about it. Per the VIN though it originally came with the 250 I6 so I need to try and find what trim levels came with that engine combo.

I am wondering why the second tank was added with lines to the engine, sending unit (?), etc were installed yet no selector switch? Would it have been possibly to connect the two tanks in a way that the pump near the engine would draw from both tanks?

When the sun gets a bit higher I will head outside and get under it to start following lines.

Ryan
Old 06-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
natedogg

Looks like your truck is pieced together from several different year models. The steering column is out of a 84-87 and the bed is 73-78. The original cab has probably been swapped from a single tank truck. Look under the dash and see if the wires are still there for the tank switch. I'm sure you can cut a hole and install a switch. I would find a correct year steering column. I think the column would be 78-83.
natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
dicholscrn

Yes I have added the correct column to the ever growing list of things needed. To be honest I'm getting a bit frustrated at this point. Mainly at myself for not doing my due diligence and acting like a kid in a candy store after the wife gave the go ahead.

But I reckon at the end of the day I knew I was getting a project truck to tinker with over time so these little hurdles are nothing that can't be corrected. And it has straight rust free panels and a good running engine so I have that going for me.

Question though. While in trying to determine what was original (cab, frame, bed, etc) should there be any stamping or casting on the frame so I can try and match that with the can/title?

Thanks for the help and replies.

Ryan
Old 06-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
dicholscrn

Screwed up pictures.

Last edited by dicholscrn; 06-13-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
Matt Man

I know how you feel with being overwhelmed, I had to put a new motor/brakes/whole new interior/ and lots of other misc crap in mine and thought I was stupid for buying the truck, but when you fix things properly the anxiety slowly goes away, my truck had rust too and im in "California" where vehicles "never" rust.

I would say your truck looks like its in better shape than mine, don't give up just yet.

Matt
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
dicholscrn

Nah not even close to throwing in the towel. But like I said, anything bigger than an2 stroke MC engine and I'm starting at square one. My biggest issue I'm having is a strategy/organization issue. I start trouble shooting one thing, research it, test, find parts, and then wait for the parts to ship nap while waiting start trouble shooting another issue and next thing I know it seems like I'm rebuilding the entire truck!

But before I get to ahead of myself I need to go through the "want" versus "need" list. I took the door panels off and ripped the old final covering off and think I know what I'm doing with those as I do the seat and most of the interior trim. But this leads me to yet another question. This being my first vehicle that has not been driven off the lot with a warranty and maintenance schedule I do not know where to start. The brakes are sluggish and the e brake is pretty much useless, and the light stays on all the time. So I have some new pads and a new e brake cable on the way and might end up having to get new rotors for the front. I'm also going to change the engine oil/filter tomorrow. But, has anyone ever put together a checklist of items that should be addressed right off the bat? Or a top ten critical items? My concerns are items like bushings/bearings, seals, gaskets. The behind the scenes-non glory items.

I appreciate the motivational words though and thanks!

Ryan
Old 06-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
BBM3

Nice Truck.
I bought my first used truck in January and I am going through the same process as you.

Your plan to make a list is the right place to start. Without a plan it is too easy for me to become distracted, start too many projects and finish none.

I have been working on one system at a time and trying to complete one before moving to the next. I started with reliability, drivability, and safety items. Second group is making all electrical and secondary mechanical system work. Last cosmetic items.

1) I started with steering and replaced everything from the rag joint forward.
2) Adjusted park brake and clutch.
3) Worked on the fuel tanks, senders, selector valve, and ground wiring.
4) Hunted down and killed all of the oil leaks.
5) Installed a new dual exhaust system.
6) Flushed the cooling system, replaced the radiator, and fan clutch.
7) Tuned the engine new plugs, wires, carb adjustment etc.
8) Repaired turn signals, horn, heater control, lighting, and wiper washers.
9) This weekend I replaced all of the front suspension bushings.
10) Next: flush, fill, and bleed brake fluid.
11) Begin cosmetic items in a couple of weeks.

If I had not worked in a logical sequence I know my truck would be in a million pieces and I would have lost interest.

Even though my truck is a hobby project and I don't need to drive it I made sure that it was always drivable after finishing each task. I think that really helps me stay on track.

This is what my truck looked like before I bought it.
Except for the dual exhaust it looks exactly the same today even after all I have done so far.
That is about to change.

BBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote