The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
1SG.Rob

Everyone, meet Hank!

I was on the board last month asking a couple of questions about engine rebuilds. I went with a local guy and 5 weeks later I finally got my truck back today! I only had it for like 5 days before it went to the shop. I got super lucky with this find. Original owner had it up until he passed away in '89 and then it was kept covered in a garage until this April. I bought it from OO's nephew who was sad to see it go but happy to hand it off to someone that he knew would take good care of it. As you can see it is in incredible condition, not a lot needs to be done to it beyond normal repairs. Only real changes I plan on making in the near future is repainting, new wheels/tires and a RetroSound stereo. I'm calling him Hank in honor of my grandfather.
Attached Images

1SG.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:45 AM   #2
Chevyland

Re: Everyone, meet Hank!

That is a very nice find
I love that color combo
You should think about buffing that paint out
They are only original once
And you will always be able to say "all original"
I've done it to trucks that the paint wasn't half as good as yours
The best thing is you aren't worried about driving it
Like you will be with all that cash in new paint
Have fun, whatever you do
Congrats
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Hank is a sweet looking ride. I see someone already took dibs on that truck. He's got good taste.

Buff the paint out? On that truck I might consider not. Some of these look great faded, and that's one of them That said, sure would be tempting.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
Ken B

That is one sweet truck! I would also try to buff the paint out on your truck. You will be surprised at how good it will look with some elbow grease. My 70 Longhorn has all original paint and it looks real good. The nice thing about original paint is it shows a true representation of what truly original fantastic condition your truck is in and how well it was taken care of. I am often told how nice a job I did restoring my truck but when I tell the person giving me that compliment that it is all original they are more often than not blown away... Even if you don't want to do the work yourself you can find a highly recommended professional to do it.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
yuccales

Great looking truck! Unless my eyes are bad, I see a big brake pedal. Sure would like to see a closer shot of the front & back of it. I'd like to find one that says "power brakes" on it. As others said give that truck a good buffin' out!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
GR8-68

Beautiful find there, I agree, I would try to buff it out before respraying it.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
engineer_gregh

And its a BIG BLOCK! More pictures please.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
1SG.Rob

AS far as paint goes, I'm not convinced that is original. It is definitely the original color though. As I understand the "4 tone" color scheme wasn't an option until 70 or 71, this is a 69 (build date 11 Nov 68). It is flaking around the edges and I'm worried if I buffed it, I would end up doing more damage to it. That said, my annual truck funds went to the engine rebuild so I'm not changing the paint at all until next summer at the earliest. My main issue right now is the cab ac/heater fan has no juice to it, so I want to tackle that this weekend. That brake pedal does say Power Brakes on it, here's a slightly better pic of it. I will get more if you want. That's my little boy, Aiden in the pics. He might just be more excited about Hank than I am, haha
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Only real changes I plan on making in the near future is repainting, new wheels/tires and a RetroSound stereo.
Beautiful truck, people will want those wheel covers.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

If it's original, that's a gem of a blue steering wheel! Those colored wheels don't seem to fare very well over time. My olive wheel is trash.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Very Nice indeed!

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: Everyone, meet Hank!

Very nice....particular with the ultra rare power window option, very cool!!

Seriously tho'...396, a/c but most importantly (to me)....unmolested!!

I love it, great find Rob!

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
1SG.Rob

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. According to the guy I bought it from, the current wheels are not original to the truck but they are period original. My plan is to buy a set of AR Outlaw II wheels and BFG Long Trail T/A tires to fit them. Keep the older wheels but put studless snow tires on them to swap out when the weather gets cold. As far as I know the steering wheel (and dang near everything else) is original.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
cooperhw

That right there is a score. Warms my heart to hear they are still out there. Rare, but still some.
Treat her right. She's a beaut.

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Scale 1-10 in finds that's a 10. You probably know that fuel line should be replaced with hard line. Is that hose strap on the shroud factory?

I didn't know "4 tone" (i.e., 2-tone deluxe) wasn't an option on a 69, learned something new. If no one has mentioned it, see post #7 here. His knowledge of truck SPIDs & data is first rate. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534738
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Scale 1-10 in finds that's a 10. You probably know that fuel line should be replaced with hard line. Is that hose strap on the shroud factory?

I didn't know "4 tone" (i.e., 2-tone deluxe) wasn't an option on a 69, learned something new. If no one has mentioned it, see post #7 here. His knowledge of truck SPIDs & data is first rate. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534738
Tony, I will take a look at that fuel line, thanks for the heads up. I couldn't tell you for sure about that hose strap on the shroud.

This is the thread where I learned about the 2-tone deluxe being an option only on 71-72. Though I freely admit that I could be reading it wrong, this is all new info for me. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12&postcount=9
Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Tony, I will take a look at that fuel line, thanks for the heads up. I couldn't tell you for sure about that hose strap on the shroud.

This is the thread where I learned about the 2-tone deluxe being an option only on 71-72. Though I freely admit that I could be reading it wrong, this is all new info for me. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12&postcount=9
Yep, same guy. Other than that, only thing I see missing, which I'm assuming was on a 69 is the heat stove and pipe. Doesn't appear the carb. is original either, but I'm no expert. That said, the air cleaner looks original by my untrained eyes, and I don't see a tube at the bottom for a stove pipe.

Hard line from the fuel pump to the carb. is the ticket.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Yep, same guy. Other than that, only thing I see missing, which I'm assuming was on a 69 is the heat stove and pipe. Doesn't appear the carb. is original either, but I'm no expert. Hard line from the fuel pump to the carb. is the ticket.

Nah, you have a good eye. That's an Edelbrock carb I had put on as part of the rebuild. I have the original one though, it needs some work. I plan on rebuilding it in my spare time. HAHA! Spare time...
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
Dirt's72

Great truck and thanks for sharing. I have a 69 big block all original truck and it is two tone but is called out "special paint" on the spid. I'd be curious to know if yours is original paint it sure looks like it. Mine also has an air cleaner like yours with no tube or heat shield. How many miles on it? I'd drive it just like it is.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
toiletbowl54

Check the ground wire coming off the blower motor. If you dont have a good ground it will act like it has no power, at least that is how mine acted.
toiletbowl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That is a very nice truck you have there! How do you like the power windows in it? I've only ever tried some spal power window kits on a 1970 when they first came out many years ago, and they didn't work all that great.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #22
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
Great truck and thanks for sharing. I have a 69 big block all original truck and it is two tone but is called out "special paint" on the spid. I'd be curious to know if yours is original paint it sure looks like it. Mine also has an air cleaner like yours with no tube or heat shield. How many miles on it? I'd drive it just like it is.
it has just under 75K original miles, I got super lucky on this find. Guy wasn't even asking too much, if he was more patient he could've likely got quite a bit more. It is a daily driver for me, I don't plan on fancifying it too much at all. I love it the way it is already.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That is a very nice truck you have there! How do you like the power windows in it? I've only ever tried some spal power window kits on a 1970 when they first came out many years ago, and they didn't work all that great.
The power windows are pretty cool, but just a gimmick for me. I wouldn't mind normal roll-ups. In fact both window motors aren't sounding too healthy and slow way down as the window gets near the top. Finding the right replacement motors might be challenging.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Very nice find indeed. Congratulations and enjoy it

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
hdff

Nice truck! Love the originality and of course the big block. You might consider to keep the originality instead of getting a retro sound radio send in your stock a.m. radio to someone like Gary Tieman and let him put a modern AM/FM receiver in your stock radio. Still looks stock but plays AM/FM and you can also get Bluetooth and output wires put on it also. I had my done and I'm very happy with it, I also had Bluetooth put on it and it picks up my phone and plays music through the radio. the originality is pretty cool. Here's mine after the conversion and install.....
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote