The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
TxCajun

Starter for Frankenstein Project?

I'm having trouble finding a starter for my truck.

My barn find 1966 C10 Short Fleetside six cylinder with three speed manual was an old farm truck that had hodge-podge repairs over the years and is a bit of a Frankenstein.

I've rebuilt the engine (1973 to 1979 250 cu in), installed a new clutch, rebuilt the transmission, and have re-installed the drive train in the truck.

The truck came with a 3815891 Bell Housing which was broken in the area of the starter, and had some other cracks. I found another Bell Housing (same casting number) and installed it when rebuilding the drivetrain.

The truck came with a starter that had inline bolts for mounting to the block, but it no longer fits with the new bellhousing. I now realize that previous owner(s) must have busted out this part of the old bellhousing to make the starter fit because the cast nose of the starter won't fit in to the new intact bellhousing.

I tried getting a rebuilt starter that bolts to the three bolt holes in the bellhousing, but it won't engage the flywheel which is the smaller 153T (12.5").

Possible solutions:

1. Find the correct bellhousing that will work with the starter that bolts to the block. Anyone know what casting number that might be?

2. Install a 168T (14") flywheel if I can find one that is drilled for the smaller 10"/10.4" clutch.

3. Starter
a. Find a Chevy starter that will work with this bellhousing and 153T flywheel combo. Any ideas on what Chevy starter or application might fit this?
b. Buy a Mini High-Torque Starter. It looks like these bolt to the block, work with either 153T or 168T flywheel, but don't have the large casting nose of the Chevy starter that currently interferes with the bellhousing. Summit and others appear to offer some of these for about $120 so that may be the least expensive and quickest solution.

Any thoughts on compatible parts or solutions would be appreciated!
TxCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Starter for Frankenstein Project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCajun View Post
Possible solutions:

1. Find the correct bellhousing that will work with the starter that bolts to the block. Anyone know what casting number that might be?
I don't happen to know any of the casting numbers offhand, but there are likely several that will work with the block mounted starter and the 153T flywheel. However, I don't think any of those bellhousings will have the mounting ears necessary to attach to the truck's crossmember. You would likely have to change over to a crossmember under the tail of the transmission to make use of one of those bellhousings.

Quote:
2. Install a 168T (14") flywheel if I can find one that is drilled for the smaller 10"/10.4" clutch.
I believe the 168T flywheel with the smaller clutch bolt pattern was stock equipment in these trucks with inline-6 engines. So this option would probably be the closest to factory original.

Quote:
3. Starter
a. Find a Chevy starter that will work with this bellhousing and 153T flywheel combo. Any ideas on what Chevy starter or application might fit this?
b. Buy a Mini High-Torque Starter. It looks like these bolt to the block, work with either 153T or 168T flywheel, but don't have the large casting nose of the Chevy starter that currently interferes with the bellhousing. Summit and others appear to offer some of these for about $120 so that may be the least expensive and quickest solution.
As far as I know, there is only one GM starter that bolts to the block and works with the smaller 153T flexplate or flywheel. And this is likely the same starter as what you received with the truck and found no longer fits the un-modified 3815891 bellhousing.

The aftermarket mini starter sounds like it might be worth a try though. As you've noticed, they don't have a nose that protrudes into the bellhousing area so that should avoid any interference issues there.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote