The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #51
Rusbuilt

Re: Project: Rufus Restoration

Man that wiring looks like fun! Ouch!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosteve View Post
Is that a 'drive by wire' throttle assembly?
The throttle assembly is drive by wire as mcmlxix pointed out. I will likely mount the ecm, tac, and engine fuse box under the dash behind the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Man that wiring looks like fun! Ouch!
It's not as bad as it looks. Plenty of research and I finally almost know what I'm doing! The true test will be when it's time to fire. We shall see.

Rus, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the swap meet this coming weekend. If anything else comes up in the near future, please let me know. I'd like to meet the local guys sometime.
shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #53
DBear

Off base question.....what brand tires are those on the rear of the rolling chassis? Truck is looking great!
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #54
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Off base question.....what brand tires are those on the rear of the rolling chassis? Truck is looking great!
I don't really know off hand what brand they are. They were on the truck when I bought it a couple years ago. I'll check next time I can, and let you know.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #55
Rusbuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
Rus, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the swap meet this coming weekend. If anything else comes up in the near future, please let me know. I'd like to meet the local guys sometime.
Its ok friend there will be other times I'm sure!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #56
slosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
The throttle assembly is drive by wire as mcmlxix pointed out.

It's not as bad as it looks. Plenty of research and I finally almost know what I'm doing! The true test will be when it's time to fire. We shall see. .

I'm using a 2006 Trailblazer I6 in one of my projects; I got all of the harness to where it passed through the firewall which is where the interior fire had fried it, and the drive by wire pedal assembly.
I also have to go through my harness and delete the wiring that I don't need, which I'm not sure of. Did you use a wiring schematic and if so where did you get it?

Last edited by slosteve; 10-03-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add question
slosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #57
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosteve View Post
I'm using a 2006 Trailblazer I6 in one of my projects; I got all of the harness to where it passed through the firewall which is where the interior fire had fried it, and the drive by wire pedal assembly.
I also have to go through my harness and delete the wiring that I don't need, which I'm not sure of. Did you use a wiring schematic and if so where did you get it?
I used information gathered from lt1swap.com and from various other builds on this site to determine which steps to take next. Lt1swap had the pinouts needed to determine which wires to keep, which to eliminate, and so on. There's plenty of info on the net, it's just sometimes difficult to find exactly what you're looking for. I'm happy to help if there's any info you need from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #58
shearjs

I've been gathering parts the past several weeks, but I just haven't had the time to get in the garage. My wiring harness is ready for a test run, and I've had my ecu reflashed and ready to go. New plugs, wires, oil, and filter are in a box and ready to go on. Purchased an auxilary battery box to put my battery on the driver side, and utilize some more of my LS wiring. Also picked up a rear disc brake kit from Truckmanloco. Now, if i could just make some time to get my hands dirty.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
shearjs

Just picked up a rebuilt tilt from 70shortfleet (les). This packaging was unbelievable. I dont' know where my project would be without this site. It truly is a great place, with great people.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #60
steelhorse

Nice looking truck. The old 54 is pretty cool to,my stepdad has one that I have been trying to get from him for years.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #61
69sinker

Great build, are those thorleys 323's (1 7/8)and what color of blue is that, looks awesome
Posted via Mobile Device
69sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #62
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Nice looking truck. The old 54 is pretty cool to,my stepdad has one that I have been trying to get from him for years.
The 54 was a lot of fun. Look forward to the day that I get it on the road again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69sinker View Post
Great build, are those thorleys 323's (1 7/8)and what color of blue is that, looks awesome
Posted via Mobile Device
The headers have the 1-7/8" primaries. I can't remember the part number off the top of my head, but they were the newer ones at the time. I've had them since this time last year, and have yet to hear that engine sing. Hopefully soon. The color is imperial blue metallic. It's the dark blue they've been putting on the new body style Camaros, as well as some other vehicles I'm sure. I saw a project a while back that had midnight blue metallic, and fell in love with it, so I wanted something similar, and that's whe.re I ended up. Glad you like it. Can't wait to see the truck with some color.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #63
Rusbuilt

WOW! Nice tilt column!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #64
shearjs

Quote:
WOW! Nice tilt column!
Thanks buddy. Can't wait to see a little blue paint on it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #65
shearjs

UPDATE!!!!

She's alive!! Finally got a chance to see some action from all that time spent tangled up in wiring. It's still needs some rearranging and combining, but my harness is finally where it needs to be. After a few minor issues, we were able to get the beast to fire, and what a relief it finally was to hear her purr. Also got the tilt column painted and installed. I got caught up in the moment a little, so my camera man skills need some work, but you should be able to get the jist of it. Enjoy!

First Start Up!!

I posted a link to the video on my FB account. I don't know how to embed the video here, so if anyone can enlighten me, please do.
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 01-21-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed Facebook link.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #66
67cheby
67cheby

AWESOME congrats on bringing her to life !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #67
Rusbuilt

the link says the content is unavailable. Do you have a youtube account? If not its free then you can link it here!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #68
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
AWESOME congrats on bringing her to life !
Thanks buddy. You'll be firing that new beast of yours in no time.

Quote:
the link says the content is unavailable. Do you have a youtube account? If not its free then you can link it here!
Maybe this will work.

First Start Up!!

Last edited by shearjs; 01-21-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Fixed Facebook Link.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #69
Rusbuilt

Sounds great!!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #70
shearjs

Put in a few hours with pops and made some progress over the previous weekend. Recently ordered a Lokar column cable shift and was able to get it mostly installed. I'm having a little trouble getting the gear indicator on the column to match up exactly with the actual gears on the tranny. It may just need more adjusting though. Also spent some time trying to figure out where to mount the ecu inside of the cab. We searched high and low for a spot under the dash, but just never really found a place that I really liked, so I decided to mount it under the seat, just behind the transmission hump. Hopefully it works out at that location. We also figured out a dilemma we've been pondering on regarding which rearend to use. Since the truck was originally a long bed GMC, it had a leaf rear suspension, with the narrow rearend. The donor frame we used came from a 72 stepside with a trailing arm suspension and the wider rear end. I had initially planned on using the wide rearend, but found a crack in the pumpkin and decided to go with the narrow. Bought same axle mounts from ECE a while back, and finally got those welding into place. Swapped in some 5 lug Mosers and bolted on the rear caliper brackets. Still need to get some rear rotors on order but that should finish up the rear end, aside from brake lines for now. I plan on doing a gear swap and a posi at some point, but the current goal is to just get back on the road. Also measured for a new driveshaft and plan to get that order in soon. All that progress and only 1 picture. What a shame.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #71
Rusbuilt

Still great progress though! We do need more pictures, you should be ashamed of yourself! lol
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #72
shearjs

Got a weekend with Pops coming up, so I'll make sure to document some progress this time around. I've been collecting some parts and put together a small list of things that need to get done soon. I'd like to have my exhaust figured out this weekend, and at the very least, tacked together. Also have a new power steering gear box to install, so that I can return the core for a few $ back in my pocket. Picked up a high hump trans cover that will hopefully allow me to raise the tailshaft on my trans a couple degrees at the very least, to reduce the difference between that and the pinion angle. I also recently picked up an American Autowire Classic Update kit, but I likely won't dive into that for a few more weeks. And for the biggest news, I have a sale pending on my motorcycle, so if that goes through in the next couple wks, I'll have plenty more new parts!!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #73
Rusbuilt

Sweet! can't wait to see updated pics!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #74
JRANGER

^_^ yeah...You sir have been slacking on the pics..Remember April 13th...Come visit
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #75
shearjs

I made a trip up to KY over the weekend to spend some time with pops in the garage. We were able to complete the weekend's agenda and get everything done that was on the to do list. First on the ticket was swapping in a remanufactured power steering gear box from napa. Next up was getting the back half of the exhaust mocked up and welded into position. My welding skills need some serious practice, but we were able to get it together. It may not be the prettiest but it'll at least be functional. Also took some 1/8" steel and bent up a mount for my LS computer. I took a page out of BuckSS book and created a mount similar to the one he made for his '68. And best of all, I remembered to take pictures!
Attached Images