The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
Belsh

How low can I go?

My truck has the CPP lowering springs and shocks (2’’ front and 4’’ back) I’m wanting to covert to discs all round and not sure if I could use the 2’’ drop spindles? Would that make it too low without having to make bodywork changes? Is there a way to measure how far the wheel will travel vertically, do I just measure the gap to the rubber stop? Sorry again for showing my ignorance!
Belsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: How low can I go?

You can never be too low!

Seriously though, a 4" front drop is pretty standard and you won't have to do any body mods to make it work. You can keep your stock inner fenders as well, no problem. As far as suspension travel, I have measured mine to be roughly +/- 2" under normal conditions. There are plenty of threads on here that list drop specs and what needs to be done to achieve a given drop.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #3
pjmoreland

The outer diameter of your front tires, the width of your tires, and the rim backspacing will also have an impact on how low you can go in the front without having fender clearance issues. Generally speaking, front wheels that are more tucked into the wheel wells will be less likely to scrub the edge of the fender opening. I have rather small diameter and narrow front tires compared to most people these days (215/70R15, 3-7/8" back spacing on 7" wide rims), and they barely work with 1" drop springs and 2-1/2" drop spindles.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
Belsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
You can never be too low!

Seriously though, a 4" front drop is pretty standard and you won't have to do any body mods to make it work. You can keep your stock inner fenders as well, no problem. As far as suspension travel, I have measured mine to be roughly +/- 2" under normal conditions. There are plenty of threads on here that list drop specs and what needs to be done to achieve a given drop.
Haha yeah, I like em low but for now I just want to get her built up running nice and safe. Come the future I will probably look at adding air but don’t want to make all those mods just yet. The plan is to be a work in progress over the next few years that I can still use for the odd weekend run.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:08 PM   #5
Belsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The outer diameter of your front tires, the width of your tires, and the rim backspacing will also have an impact on how low you can go in the front without having fender clearance issues. Generally speaking, front wheels that are more tucked into the wheel wells will be less likely to scrub the edge of the fender opening. I have rather small diameter and narrow front tires compared to most people these days (215/70R15, 3-7/8" back spacing on 7" wide rims), and they barely work with 1" drop springs and 2-1/2" drop spindles.
Yeah my wheels might throw me the curve ball, they’re 20” with 275/40 R20 tyres on. I’m not actually sure of the actual wheel width. They came with the truck and I will be changing them out, the extra drop might force that to be sooner rather than later!!
Old 04-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
Jason Banks

275/40 R20 might rub in the front. But maybe you could get another size to make them fit. I have a 4/6 drop with 255/45 R20 in the front. On an 8 inch wide wheel.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote