The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2023, 12:17 AM   #1
Yamariv

Power steering box install - Are there washers that go between frame and the box?

I'm halfway through installing power steering on my truck and came across a thread that said there were "large washers" that go between the power steering box and the frame, is this true? My manual box I just took off didn't have any washers though.. what would these washers be on there for?

If there are washers, could someone show me how big or thick they need to be and I'll pick some up before finalizing everything on the install.

Thx!

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Power steering box install - Are there washers that go between frame and the box?

No washers , Bolts directly to the frame .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
Yamariv

Re: Power steering box install - Are there washers that go between frame and the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
No washers , Bolts directly to the frame .
Thank you Sir! Thought the washers didn't make sense..

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 04-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

This picture is of a non dimpled 67 frame and shows just how small of a dimple needs to be made to have a power steering gear fit the 67 frame without adding spacers/ washers or beating it with a BFH , I used a map gas torch and a ball pean hammer to massage the frame rail just enough to have it fit without deforming the top rail . Adding spacers will not work on a 67 frame .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I found mine as: secures with four (GR 8) 5/8" hex bolts and split washers, with the bolts inserted from the inside. The bolt threads are 7/16-14 x 1.1/4”, and the heads are stamped “L8”.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
RichardJ

I used 3/32" washers between the PS box and my '67 frame. I looked at the steering linkage as a whole and not just as a mounting problem.
Place the manual box on your work bench and measure from the bench, up to the center line of the pinion shaft. You can't do the same with the PS box, because it is too fat.
Find three equal spacers to set under the mounting ears and measure from the pinion center to the bench. Recheck that distance again on the manual box with the spacers.
You will find that the PS pinion shaft is closer to the bench top than the manual box by 3/32".

The drag link has a fixed length. You want the pinion arm and the idler arm to swing through the same arc with both the manual and the PS box. The idler arm shaft and the pinion shaft need to be the same distance away from each other with both boxes and the washers do that.
I used chalk as witness marks and ground a little off the side of the frame and also ground some rough casting areas on the PS box. Some grinding, but no heat or hammering. Unfortunately, if I replace the box, I'll have to do some refitting.
I did spot weld the washers to the frame, because it was difficult to hold them in place while bolting the box in place.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
I used 3/32" washers between the PS box and my '67 frame. I looked at the steering linkage as a whole and not just as a mounting problem.
Place the manual box on your work bench and measure from the bench, up to the center line of the pinion shaft. You can't do the same with the PS box, because it is too fat.
Find three equal spacers to set under the mounting ears and measure from the pinion center to the bench. Recheck that distance again on the manual box with the spacers.
You will find that the PS pinion shaft is closer to the bench top than the manual box by 3/32".

The drag link has a fixed length. You want the pinion arm and the idler arm to swing through the same arc with both the manual and the PS box. The idler arm shaft and the pinion shaft need to be the same distance away from each other with both boxes and the washers do that.
I used chalk as witness marks and ground a little off the side of the frame and also ground some rough casting areas on the PS box. Some grinding, but no heat or hammering. Unfortunately, if I replace the box, I'll have to do some refitting.
I did spot weld the washers to the frame, because it was difficult to hold them in place while bolting the box in place.
Wow, very interesting! So theres no way to measure the PS box this way? Is it possible that the power steering box doesn't need these washers?

Little too late on my end, finished the install today. Everything bolted right up!
Attached Images

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 04-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #8
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I found mine as: secures with four (GR 8) 5/8" hex bolts and split washers, with the bolts inserted from the inside. The bolt threads are 7/16-14 x 1.1/4”, and the heads are stamped “L8”.
This is what I mounted with as well. Grade 8 bolts with lock washers on them

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)