The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Yet more interior questions

Apologies for practically monopolizing the forum over the past couple of days with questions, but I'm going to try to get a ton done this coming weekend and want to know stuff in advance.

Q1. Has anyone used a sound deadener (dynamat) THEN a foam decoupler (think dynaliner) THEN Mass loaded vinyl under a carpet set or is this too excessive and heavy?

Q2. Does anyone have (or could take) a picture of how and where the vinyl trim that fits by and over the vent in the passenger footwell attaches. There are two pieces and I took them off two years ago, but I cannot remember where exactly they go back.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Electricduane

Re: Yet more interior questions

Q1: seems like overkill to me. . . how quiet do you expect a 30 year old vehicle to be? Even if that area is totally insulated, there is still noise from wind, engine/tranny, tires, etc etc.

I am having line-x sprayed in the trunk/rear seat area. Then might lay a piece of foam rubber in front of the rear seat for the kids. . . the spare tire holder has a 1.5" hole with a plug. . I will be able to hose the entire rear/trunk out, let it drain out that hole.
Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
TKCR

Answer to question #1. Yes I have in my 86 C10. Just check out my build thread and it has what I did. And it is not overkill by any means. It really made the truck much quieter. Post #20:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654972

Another member used a product that looks and sounds like it is easy to work with. It starts on post #483:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...705824&page=20
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
SilverMiner

eighteenninetytwo -

To answer your Q1, that is what I have done in my 1980 Suburban. I don't have a build thread to show you full of useful photos, unfortunately. Also, I have not completed the process throughout the entire rig, so my results are still preliminary.

What I did was lay down FatMat over nearly the entire floorpan, then cover everything with closed cell foam from Lowes or Home Depot, and then instead of purchasing relatively expensive mass loaded vinyl with it's expensive shipping I instead put down one of the heavy vinyl floor mats from LMC and put new carpet over top of that. One problem I do see coming up is correctly reinstalling the sill plates with all that thickness. Probably will have to trim the foam and LMC vinyl back.

I have not completed the rear cargo area or the headliner upgrade yet - waiting for warmer weather. Despite not being done, the difference is remarkable and noticeable even to people who rarely ride in my old beast. I can already tell that by reducing road and engine noise I will have comparatively amplified the wind noise, so I am resigned to the fact that I'll never achieve Cadillac levels of quiet. So far the improvement has been more than worthwhile, and I look forward this spring to finishing the headliner and cargo compartment and seeing just how far I can go. Using an un-calibrated free decibel meter app on my phone I've already reduced overall noise levels from ~81db down to ~69db, completely un-scientific but nothing to sneeze at.