The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
imsuchaman55

New project. 1973 2WD Blazer

So I had a friend that started converting this 73 blazer from 4x4 to 2wd, but is tired of looking at it and needed it out of the way. It has a TBI engine with 700R4 on the back of it, but he wants the engine, so I got the trans and the rest of the truck from him.

It is a little rough around the edges, but Im excited to do a full frame off on this. I like that it is an A/C cab truck, so everyone riding along can stay comfy. Plans include
-6.0, 4L80
-all new interior with late model seats ( have a baby due in a few weeks and like the idea of the late model seats with the car seat mounts built in, and integrated seat belts)
-around 5 inch drop
-Old school wheels with the old school fatty look (50 series)

I dont think we will move as fast as the last project we did in my sig, but should be able to make plenty of progress with lots of pictures

Here she is

I need to replace both doors since someone had the genius idea to cut speaker holes, and huge open holes on the underside of the doors (one of the pictures you can see the ground)

On the fence about doing the 91 suburban swap. I like the look of them, but then it takes away the fact that its a 73, it will look like an 80s blazer with a full convertible conversion, so Im thinking I will keep the 73 front grouping.

So for now I am working on getting the front grouping off, engine and trans out, and gutting everything off of it to see how extensive the rust is. Once I get it all stripped down I think i will get the tub media blasted. After the wire wheeling on the 68 GMC we built, I would rather pay someone to do it.

The interior is missing a majority of its parts, so I will most likely be replacing it with all new stuff. Dash, door skins, carpet, etc. Also planning on converting the doors to power windows and locks, so might get newer doors with all this stuff in them and cut the top window frames off to work with my roof.

The back seat is original and seems to be in good shape, think I might try to find someone that wants it to help offset the cost of everything else. The front is an aftermarket seat and is trashed.

Im on the fence about colors also. Looking for any input. I think I will do the entire interior in black as thats what most of the late model seats come in that will match what I order. But for the body Im not set on anything. I would like to make the top White. Was thinking blue/white?? Or even a orange??

Also have my feelers out for a complete 6.0/ 4L80E with not a ton of miles. They are hard to find but am sure I will get one reasonably.

Thats about it for now. Will be posting more pictures as I go along
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote