The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
jaydex

1972 4 x 4 blazer frame up

Hi guys not sure if this is the correct place to post this so before I post pics please let me know.Long story as short as I can. I bought a 72 blazer last year already disassembled. Basically a frame, diffs out of a 1980 blazer, and a body which is primed and I would say about 75% done. Just needs a rocker box and a few touch ups here and there. I haven't done much rest work for about 20 years so i know I will have lots of questions and have already found lots of answers on this board. I hardly touched it this summer as work was to busy and have started back into it now. I have assembled a rebuilt 350, 700 r4 and np208 transfer case. Took me a while to track down missing cross members and the correct one for the transfer case. Front brakes and diff are all sealed and rebuilt, back ones should be done this weekend. Plan is to mock it all up then remove body and while that is being painted I will disassemble frame and drivetrain and paint it all up. I have already have questions on driveshaft angles etc. So if this is the right place to post pics and ask let me know. Going to be a long project no doubt.
jaydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
tjsblazer

Re: 1972 4 x 4 blazer frame up

This is the best spot for an ongoing project / build. Post pics and ask questions along the way. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your project.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

This is the right place to show the before, during and after pictures....
Use the search for questions and if you can find an answer, just ask...
Did I mention everyone likes lots of pictures.....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
jaydex

Ok sounds good I will get some pics up asap
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
jaydex

I tried downloading pics see if that works. Basically this is where I am at drivetrain is almost complete. Brakes are done,Diffs are sealed and in. I will dismantle everything once I have it all mocked up and paint.
This will be difficult for me because I was not the one who dismantled it and
not going to be totally sure on how it all goes together. I will probably end up buying and old farm truck for the many pieces I am missing and to see
how some of the things go back together. Routing wires, cables, and brake lines is going to be a challenge.
Questions what kind of angle should I put on the rear end to line up the pinion angle better.? Seems pretty steep? Also not sure the lifted leaf springs are proper? Does the frames on these sit slightly higher in the back without a load. I was going for 4" lift front and back but I bought these springs over a year ago now I am questioning if I got the right ones.

Tomorrow I will try and make some kind of jig and find a good place to attach so I can lift body on and off with gantry. Then I can put doors on to check how straight everything is and brace it up. After that body will probably go on a rotisserie.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
jaydex

Once it says a pic is downloaded how do you post it. Or does it just take time?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #7
tjsblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydex View Post
I tried downloading pics see if that works. Basically this is where I am at drivetrain is almost complete. Brakes are done,Diffs are sealed and in. I will dismantle everything once I have it all mocked up and paint.
This will be difficult for me because I was not the one who dismantled it and
not going to be totally sure on how it all goes together. I will probably end up buying and old farm truck for the many pieces I am missing and to see
how some of the things go back together. Routing wires, cables, and brake lines is going to be a challenge.
Questions what kind of angle should I put on the rear end to line up the pinion angle better.? Seems pretty steep? Also not sure the lifted leaf springs are proper? Does the frames on these sit slightly higher in the back without a load. I was going for 4" lift front and back but I bought these springs over a year ago now I am questioning if I got the right ones.

Tomorrow I will try and make some kind of jig and find a good place to attach so I can lift body on and off with gantry. Then I can put doors on to check how straight everything is and brace it up. After that body will probably go on a rotisserie.
I would need to see some pictures to help you with your pinion angle question but a general google search will show you proper geometry for a regular u-joint ended driveshaft. Sometimes you need put a shim under the spring pack to correct the angle but it really should be done when sitting with the truck fully assembled. The angle can vary from un-sprung to loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydex View Post
Once it says a pic is downloaded how do you post it. Or does it just take time?
You have to hit the "GoAdvanced" button to post and then use the paper clip to find the files on your computer. Note they must be under the max sizes listed in the pop up box so you will likely need to resize them first. Once you have them all selected you hit the upload button and they will attach to your thread. Preview the post if you want to see it and confirm first. Hard to explain without screenshots. I hope this helps.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:

My Engine Build:
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
jaydex

pics
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
jaydex

pic
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 AM   #10
jaydex

pic
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #11
jaydex

pic
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Thats a pretty cool shop. How well does it heat?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
jaydex

Heats awesome. I have a infloor heating and a radiant heater at the front and back. They only get used if Iopen the door lots when its really cold.All off of an outdoor wood boiler. The propane tube never gets used
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
jaydex

Any ideas on a lift point. I was thinking about bolting a piece of angle iron just behind the floor drop with a clevice and see if that balances?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #15
jaydex

Well that worked. Simple angle iron, clevice and a spare tire for balance easy to move body one and off. Transfer case is tight but with all the cab mounts in properly I think I will just clear everything. If not I may just have to add a washer or 2. I don't have a transmission hump yet, but it looks like tons of clearance there. I assume I need too find a high hump cover as from what I can determine the 2wd where welded in?
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
jaydex

Tight on transfer case
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #17
tjsblazer

Does look a little tight but not sure since that tranny and transfer case is not the stock version and not sure if you have mounts in place yet. How did you determine the tranny mount height? Just asking because that obviously affects the driveline angle at the transfer case output.

Yes you need a high hump.

'72 Blazer K5

My Blazer Build:

My Engine Build:
Old 02-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #18
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I added ORD 1" aluminum pucks to the body mounts. It helps with clearance on my 4L80e ...

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/oneinchlift.htm

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #19
jaydex

So far i just bolted the crossmember under the frame and it looked about right lol. Engine looks fairly level but kids broke my angle gauge this weekend and I have yet to round up a new one. Engine looks about right I think if I lower the transmission at all I would be tilting the engine back a little much. The only way to drop it would be to block the crossmember lower then the frame. Didn't have all the cab mounts in in the pic so i will try that maybe tomorrow with the new mounts and check the clearance.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:50 AM   #20
jaydex

Those pucks look perfect and I needed to track down the correct bolts anyway. Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #21
jaydex

got it up on the rotisserie to take a look. Rocker boxes are toast, that looks simple enough. Inner fender wells same story. Does anybody make material or patches for bed repair? What about the beam that goes across back of bed. Its a little rotted out. Looks like somebody has patched a little in the bed already
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #22
hemi43

The rear half of the bed is available, as well as the rear crossmember. All good quality too.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote