The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #201
buffydores

Re: 1978 Russet Metallic 4x4

Still working on my plan. I'm probably gonna swap the fuel system out for a intank setup from Aeromotive. They have this Phantom kit that looks trick.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #202
phillipm

You should think about doing a OEM fuel module like I did. I've had a 50% failure rate with Aeromotive products and will never use or recommend them. None of the aftermarket companies have a fuel pump that will even come close to the longevity and engineering of a GM OEM designed module.
Posted via Mobile Device
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #203
buffydores

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
You should think about doing a OEM fuel module like I did. I've had a 50% failure rate with Aeromotive products and will never use or recommend them. None of the aftermarket companies have a fuel pump that will even come close to the longevity and engineering of a GM OEM designed module.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK. What's the setup you recommend. Could I swap out the Aeromotive pump and swap with an OEM in the Phantom kit. I ordered a AC Delco Sending Unit.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 AM   #204
phillipm

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693077

Here is what I did. I could help answer questions if you've got any.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #205
buffydores

Hmmm. May leave well enough alone and keep a spare inline pump in my saddle box.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #206
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
Hmmm. May leave well enough alone and keep a spare inline pump in my saddle box.
Well don't get me wrong, I'd run any intake before an inline. Haha. But seriously. The only difference between mounting an Aeromotive phantom and the GM OEM is drilling a larger hole and welding in a ring vs using the Aeromotive foam gasket.

In fact bring your tank with you in January and we'll cut and weld the ring in while you're here

Let me ask you this?? How low can the fuel get in your current setup before the sloshing causes fuel delivery problems? Do you have to fill up at 1/2 tank? 1/4 tank?

Last edited by phillipm; 06-29-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #207
buffydores

Quote:
Let me ask you this?? How low can the fuel get in your current setup before the sloshing causes fuel delivery problems? Do you have to fill up at 1/2 tank? 1/4 tank?
Well that's the thing. It's never happened. I'm obsessive compulsive. I never get close to empty. It's just not gonna happen. With a 31 gallon tank, I'll go down to 10 gallons, but not much lower than that. I was jacking around with the fuel situation because I was having some engine squirrelly behavior on the Ramjet with cold start up that I was thinking was fueling, but I've now ruled that out in my mind. That's a tuning problem.

The other thing is your setup looks like there's plenty of OEM connectors and such. I'd like to keep running a factory AC Delco sending unit and just add an extra hole with a cute baffled thingy to manage sloshing. That's what's cool about the Phantom setup. That said, what's your problem with the Aeromotive stuff. Are the pumps crapping out. Because that's a very attractive thing about the inline pumps. I can swap that in a pinch.

Last edited by buffydores; 06-29-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #208
phillipm

Quote:
Well that's the thing. It's never happened. I'm obsessive compulsive. I never get close to empty. It's just not gonna happen. With a 31 gallon tank, I'll go down to 10 gallons, but not much lower than that. I was jacking around with the fuel situation because I was having some engine squirrelly behavior on the Ramjet with cold start up that I was thinking was fueling, but I've now ruled that out in my mind. That's a tuning problem.

The other thing is your setup looks like there's plenty of OEM connectors and such. I'd like to keep running a factory AC Delco sending unit and just add an extra hole with a cute baffled thingy to manage sloshing. That's what's cool about the Phantom setup. That said, what's your problem with the Aeromotive stuff. Are the pumps crapping out. Because that's a very attractive thing about the inline pumps. I can swap that in a pinch.
Yes the Aeromotive products (I've used both Phantom in-tank and A1000 external) have a short lifespan. Especially the external. The heat just kills them. They are a great product if you're drag racing or doing other sports like that, but to me if you're trying to drive 3k miles across the country or even 500 miles across west Texas in 118* weather, they just aren't up to the task. Last one left us stranded in El Paso, TX. That was it for us. No more external pumps. Next we installed a Phantom kit, 1st one was bad out of the box, second one lasted Hot Rod Power Tour but you couldn't get below about 1/2 tank before the sloshing caused engine stumbles around corners. And with a vehicle that gets 10MPG that really sucked. ALWAYS stopping for fuel.

With the GM Fuel module you don't need to put gas in every 10 gallons. You'll be able to drive it like a normal vehicle and get gas when it's on E. Or before if you like, just not needed. The Jet pump will keep the bucket full and the pump covered and cool even when there is very low fuel level in the tank.

The reason we put the pump right where the factory sending unit was is because this is the Vapor Dome location. This is where the tank needs to see it's vent located to function properly and not get fuel coming out of the vent system of the new fuel module.

Last time I had idle trouble with my RAM-JET it was an O2 sensor that went bad. I know those engines are supplied with a code reader, but let me tell you, a bad O2 won't throw a code on the MEFI3 (upgraded) or the MEFI4A/B. I'm not sure which you have.

If you still have trouble after that, or if you've got a non closed loop upgraded MEFI3 I'd check for vacuum leaks and check the MAP sensor signal.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #209
buffydores

And that's why Phillip is a badass.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #210
buffydores

Quick question, can you use a standard OB2 reader on these things. I don't see a standard hookup. I do have one of those marine EFI code readers that came with it. Kind of goofy. It would just be nice to see if it's sending clean numbers.

Last edited by buffydores; 07-15-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #211
phillipm

Quote:
Quick question, can you use a standard OB2 reader on these things. I don't see a standard hookup. I do have one of those marine EFI code readers that came with it. Kind of goofy. It would just be nice to see if it's sending sending clean numbers.
I've never actually tried to scan it with a new OBD2 scanner. From what I remember the MEFI connector was a 10 pin and OBD2 are 16? However I never really looked that close.

Do you have an O2 version or no? If so you could try testing the sensor first. I would say that's the biggest hang up with the factory Ram-Jet electronics. Not a very good supply of information for the diagnostics. I used to have the factory Ram-Jet manual but can't remember if I still do or not.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #212
buffydores

Quote:
Do you have an O2 version or not.
Yep. Got the O2 sensor. I have some suspicions there because the harness for it was leaning on the exhaust and melted a bit before I noticed it and zip tied it out if the way. It looked fine, but who knows.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #213
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
And that's why Phillip is a badass.
Ain't it the truth? I was reading the explanation thinking "I'm sold." I've never heard anyone else explain how steep the downside is to aftermarket fuel pumps.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #214
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
Ain't it the truth? I was reading the explanation thinking "I'm sold." I've never heard anyone else explain how steep the downside is to aftermarket fuel pumps.
If I can save one guy from being stuck out in the middle of no where with his family I feel good. Problem is you don't know that's going to be you until it happens. Converting the Blazer tank to a late model style module isn't the cheapest option, but it is the best in my opinion and is a great candidate for the fuel module upgrade. Many people talk and ask about if the tank they want to purchase is "EFI Baffled". If you've looked in any GM fuel tank after 1998 there are no baffles, that's because they aren't needed anymore and just take up space. The module is the pump/baffle/sending unit all in one. I hate to call it a magic bullet but that's pretty much what it is.

My buddy Carl lays out all of the information on his website.. Here is a direct link: GM Fuel Modules
Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #215
buffydores

Let's see how the native gallery works:
Attached Images

Last edited by buffydores; 07-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #216
phillipm

Is that a grill you're towin?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #217
buffydores

That's our smoker. I'm pretty good on it.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #218
buffydores

And again, behold the awesomeness of Phillip. After our earlier conversation, I asked Phillip if he could put together a solution for me. He was kind enough to send me an exact parts list (very detailed) and I had everything shipped to him. Here is what he produced. I can't tell y'all how grateful I am. We have a solid community.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #219
buffydores

I forget to show y'all the addition of the Vision X LED headlights. The Vision X LED headlights required me pulling out the crappy HID equipment, resoldering fresh lamp plugs and cleaning it all up. Should have took some pictures. I didn't wire in the halos. I just can't handle that much trendy. I could always hook them up to a relay/switch later on.

The low beams are good. The high beams are great.

I also pulled the batteries and cleaned the terminals. I only needed to POR15 the auxiliary battery tray. Apparently, the factory tray never saw any acid.

Just as an FYI, using the [Go Advanced] button and then [Manage Attachments] is a super easy way to add photos from your phone. It automatically adjusts the size of the photo. I'm hoping the admin will allow us to use this function to repair our threads. No more crappy Photobucket.
Attached Images

Last edited by buffydores; 07-27-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #220
buffydores

Just as a heads-up, I pretty much restored all the pictures on this thread the hard way. Painful, but who wants dead links.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #221
phillipm

You'll have to send me a tutorial on using the native image hosting. Can't figure that out to save myself!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #222
buffydores

Quote:
You'll have to send me a tutorial on using the native image hosting. Can't figure that out to save myself!
I'm probably describing it poorly. When I mentioned native gallery, I was actually not talking about the gallery, I was talking about the ability to embed. The only drawback to that is that you loose the ability to edit it after 10080 minutes (1 week).

The more flexible way to do pictures is to upload them two-at-a-time to your gallery on this site. There's a 500kb limit on size, so most people will need a phone app to resize their photos. I have an Android phone. I downloaded a free app called "Photo & Picture Resizer" to help me handle the duty. Strangely, most of the free photo editors don't allow you to resize your photos, which seems terribly strange to me. If I need to do edits on the photo, I'll just use a free photo editor app and then resize. It, honestly, sucks. It would be cool if the upload functionality of this site were more robust, but I'm still happy they're willing to host all these pictures.

Last edited by buffydores; 07-23-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #223
buffydores

Purchased this twin stick kit from Offroad Design. When the NP203 comes back from rebuild, I'll have the shop install this. Kit comes with simple black knobs. I had it powdercoated flat black. Don't want it to be distracting:

Last edited by buffydores; 07-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #224
buffydores

So the Offroad Design kit came with this glossy, vinyl, faux metal sticker. A bit disappointing for the price of the kit. Who do we call for an upgraded plaque? That's right....Phillip. Phillip took a digital image of the sticker, redrew it in his vector software, made a few subtle improvements and is producing an appropriate plaque. I'll post when I receive the finished product.

Last edited by buffydores; 07-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #225
buffydores

The TH350 is being rebuilt, the NP203 was shipped off today for rebuild, ECM was sent off for reflash, delivered the fuel module and twin stick kit to the mechanics.....Now we just wait.