The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Parts ID & Process for removing rear leaf springs on 71 C-10?

This is not a rolling chassis. Only parts on the frame are the front and rear suspension, engine and TH400. I've pulled everything else, but I'm apprehensive about the suspension. Probably getting some help anyways, but the guy has never worked with leaf springs.

1. Can anyone advise the process for removing the rear leaf springs? The image below may help with description.

2. Also, if anyone can ID some of the parts in the image it's appreciated.

On a side, I plan to put the frame on the stands, and lift the pumpkin with the floor jack. I figure it's a good idea to strap the axle to the frame. Better than dropping the axle............I'll secure the pinion side of the differential as well............... I'd use jack stands with the axle, but the stands won't secure the frame and axle. Not without shims anyway. Thank you.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Parts ID & Process for removing rear leaf springs on 71 C-10?

I would put a 4x4 above the axle on the frame and use rachet staps to lift it up.
3. is a spring locating plate
4. is a leaf spring shackle

Question. Is this the original frame? I have never seen a factory leaf spring Chevrolet in the 1968-1972 years. doesn't mean they didn't make them, just havent seen one.
Warrens69GMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
I would put a 4x4 above the axle on the frame and use rachet staps to lift it up.
3. is a spring locating plate
4. is a leaf spring shackle

Question. Is this the original frame? I have never seen a factory leaf spring Chevrolet in the 1968-1972 years. doesn't mean they didn't make them, just havent seen one.
GREAT idea on that 4x4, thank you.

Is the pin or bolt called a spring locator as well?

Both 1 & 4 are shackles? I suppose 1 is a "shackle assembly" and 4 just a shackle?

Yeah, it's the original frame, the leaf springs are to the SPID & build sheet. It's a SWB too, go figure. I know a knowledgeable guy who says every Custom Deluxe he's seen had rear leaf springs, but I think it was ordered this way by the original owner. He used this SWB for all things recreational. You'd have thought he was buying a C-20.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 11-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Warrens69GMC

1. You can disguish between the two by Rear Leaf Spring Shackle (1), and Leaf Spring Pack Shackle (4)

Locating "bolt" "pin" "locating pin" are all the same in this application
Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
1. You can disguish between the two by Rear Leaf Spring Shackle (1), and Leaf Spring Pack Shackle (4)

Locating "bolt" "pin" "locating pin" are all the same in this application
Very cool, thank you. Always a good start to know the names of things.

Any ideas what order to pull the leafs still open. One thing I've heard is to clamp the springs together before you hit the nuts and bolts.

I don't expect to need a torch, and the joints are well soaked. I think I've used heat on a few bolts & brake fittings, and even then just a heat gun.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

I would lift axle, then do u-bolts, front spring hanger, rear spring hanger.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I would lift axle, then do u-bolts, front spring hanger, rear spring hanger.

Appreciate that, thanks a bunch. I updated the image per my edgeucation
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #8
Warrens69GMC

Nice!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Had some family over for super, and my wife's nephew is a seasoned body/paint dude. He's a great guy. Anyway, we were talking about my truck, drinking some beers, and we jumped into the rear leafs..........Literally. He says" let's do it".

Followed your advice 1950 Chevy Wagon (nice), including the 4x4, and things wen't smooth and quickly, thank you.

Smooth until we got to the bottom shackle bolts, wholly smokes. He's strong as an ox and busted a breaker bar (Craftsman). That was a close one. Anyway, he figured we could bust the bolt loose leaving the nut on, because it wasn't budging. I see his point, but these don't work that way, nut has to come first. We pulled the nuts and.............THOSE BOLTS AINT COMIN OUT!....After half an hour or so we declared it a night, twice. Even after "pipes" hit one good and hard with a sledge hammer.

For "one last shot" I hit them with more penetrating oil, trying to get inside the bushing. Grabbed a 3/8 ratchet extension and respectable hammer and gave the "easy side" some good punches, ah, that's the ticket. Grabbed the punch to save the extension......Nope, I'll take the extension (ha!). Not long after the easy one was out. RH wasn't as friendly, but it worked. The "boys" were helping. It was a nice evening.

Not much left on the frame, and I'm happy to say I've yet to cut anything or use a torch. Just penetrating oil and a heat gun where needed. Front suspension will be the only exception, only because of the top ball joints.

Anyway, thanks again Warren, appreciate it. It's nice to know how.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #10
Warrens69GMC

Glad it worked well for you.