The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
SK Ratchet Update

Wow, they really do exchanges on tools, even if you are not the original owner. I opted for the free repair kit though....a completely new ratchet would be nice but this way the old one gets to live again.

Dear SK Customer Service,

I have bought a used SK ratchet that was seized. I disassembled it completely and found that it is intact, except that the piece that has teeth on either side ("paws?") is losing its chrome finish.

I know your company has a full return policy but I am not the original owner and thus, I would like to purchase just that one part. I want to get a new paws (?) that has a new chrome finish. I would also like to get a new detent spring and a new clip (holds internal part to ratchet head).

Is it possible to purchase individual replacement parts?

Thank you,

RESPONSE FROM SK:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, your ratchet is still covered under our lifetime warranty even if it changes owners. We do have a repair kit available at no cost, would you like us to send you one? If so, please provide us with a shipping address.

Best regards,
Customer Service


I always liked SK anyway so I guess they will become my new Craftsman.
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 17,078
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Wow, they really do exchanges on tools, even if you are not the original owner. I opted for the free repair kit though....a completely new ratchet would be nice but this way the old one gets to live again.

Dear SK Customer Service,

I have bought a used SK ratchet that was seized. I disassembled it completely and found that it is intact, except that the piece that has teeth on either side ("paws?") is losing its chrome finish.

I know your company has a full return policy but I am not the original owner and thus, I would like to purchase just that one part. I want to get a new paws (?) that has a new chrome finish. I would also like to get a new detent spring and a new clip (holds internal part to ratchet head).

Is it possible to purchase individual replacement parts?

Thank you,

RESPONSE FROM SK:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, your ratchet is still covered under our lifetime warranty even if it changes owners. We do have a repair kit available at no cost, would you like us to send you one? If so, please provide us with a shipping address.

Best regards,
Customer Service


I always liked SK anyway so I guess they will become my new Craftsman.

The first 3/8 drive socket set I bought (back in 1963) was an S-K. I still have it and even though it has been used a LOT it still works like a champ....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I got this ratchet from ebay, it was the breaker bar I was really after, I considered the other tools that came with it to be "bonuses." The tools had been used hard and since they had a bit of light rust, probably stored badly. This ratchet was worst of all.....the exterior chrome plating worn completely off in some places.
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Boog
primer is finer
 
Boog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Searcy, Ark. USA
Posts: 6,752
Re: SK Ratchet Update

There are some good warranties out there.
Back in the 70ís my dad had a few snapon tools that had been his dadís and were purchased during the war years so they werenít chrome plated. The 3/8Ē ratchet was bad about slipping and one day he asked the snapon guy if possibly there were parts available for that old ratchet. He took it out to his truck and returned it good as new right there on the spot. No charge.
Dad and i were proud of those old tools. Some time later our shop was broken into and we lost all our tools.
I guess snapon set the standard for warranties.
__________________
Boog
69 Chevy stepside, 358/T350, 4.10 posi, 4.5/4 drop, rallys, poboy driver
09 Yukon SLT 4wd, 06 GMC crewcab Z71 5.3, 4.10
All GM..'nuff said,
Member of Jr Nation 88
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
68Gold/white
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ark City, Kansas
Posts: 1,070
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I believe SK has changed hands a few times in last 30 years or so. Likely a good thing you opted for the kit. I doubt the "new" ratchet would be as good as the oldie.

I read on internet that Lowes will start handling Craftsman tools.At least maybe the Craftsman name will carry on, long after Sears goes away (they are trying to hang on...)

Most all major brands SHOULD warranty their stuff, no questions!!! On another board, one member got asked if he had the receipt on a Snap on tool that need warranty, well of course NOT! The Snap On dealer refused to warranty it....I asked a friend that's a Snap On dealer about that.....he said that was all BULL. The warranty deal is part of what brings customer back!!! And man-o-man is Snap On stuff expensive, these days!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Ironhorse
Senior Member
 
Ironhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wellington, Ks
Posts: 6,021
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Wow, they really do exchanges on tools, even if you are not the original owner. I opted for the free repair kit though....a completely new ratchet would be nice but this way the old one gets to live again.

Dear SK Customer Service,

I have bought a used SK ratchet that was seized. I disassembled it completely and found that it is intact, except that the piece that has teeth on either side ("paws?") is losing its chrome finish.

I know your company has a full return policy but I am not the original owner and thus, I would like to purchase just that one part. I want to get a new paws (?) that has a new chrome finish. I would also like to get a new detent spring and a new clip (holds internal part to ratchet head).

Is it possible to purchase individual replacement parts?

Thank you,

RESPONSE FROM SK:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, your ratchet is still covered under our lifetime warranty even if it changes owners. We do have a repair kit available at no cost, would you like us to send you one? If so, please provide us with a shipping address.

Best regards,
Customer Service


I always liked SK anyway so I guess they will become my new Craftsman.

Now that is Customer Service above and beyond !!

I have both a SK 1/4'' and a 3/8'' drive socket set I bought it early 1970s. When working as a flight line mechanic for Boeing in Wichita I dropped the 1/4'' drive ratchet from the top of a B-52 bomber wing as I was removing the leading edge pneumatic ducts. Watched it fall and hit the cement floor about 25 feet below, hit just right I guess and flew apart. Never found all the internals, went back to the SK dealer, told him what happened. He walked over to the display case and grabbed a new 1/4'' ratchet. I've been a SK owner and user for years. Good tools that last with a bullet proof warranty.
__________________
1971 Chevy 1/2T 4x4 LWB 350 V-8
Was sm465-now 350TH/np205
Tilt, Tach, Towhooks
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 4,093
Re: SK Ratchet Update

great...glad it worked out well for you...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
alsriv2
Senior Member
 
alsriv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Posts: 1,506
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Now that is Customer Service above and beyond !!

I have both a SK 1/4'' and a 3/8'' drive socket set I bought it early 1970s. When working as a flight line mechanic for Boeing in Wichita I dropped the 1/4'' drive ratchet from the top of a B-52 bomber wing as I was removing the leading edge pneumatic ducts. Watched it fall and hit the cement floor about 25 feet below, hit just right I guess and flew apart. Never found all the internals, went back to the SK dealer, told him what happened. He walked over to the display case and grabbed a new 1/4'' ratchet. I've been a SK owner and user for years. Good tools that last with a bullet proof warranty.
I dropped a 3/8" socket in the honeycomb strut of an external fuel tank...Never to be seen again. It was an old G model that no longer exists as the G's have been cut up and turned into scrap metal.
__________________
Alan

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

 
old Rusty C10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Howell NJ USA and a house in Deposit NY USA
Posts: 19,355
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I know a while back that SK was not warrantying sockets that split stating that they had to have been used on an air gun ( Chrome ones) so I kinda stopped buying them... Surprisingly home depot sells their own brand which are pretty good as does Gearwrench which I can get at Advance auto parts I keep tool kits in the tow trucks and they hold up well
__________________
Bob


1982 Chevrolet C10 LWB 2wd
1979 Chevrolet C20 LWB 2wd
1980 Chevrolet C10 SWB 2wd
1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1966 Ford Mustang
2018 Subaru Forrester (wifes ride)
2014 Ram Bighorn SLT 4X4 Longbed Diesel
1992 Dodge Dakota ECSB 4X4
1992 Ford Superduty flatbed tow truck
2004 Dodge reg cab swb 2wd
2014 Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail


"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)


PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
davischevy
Senior Member
 
davischevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Harrison, Arkansas
Posts: 3,293
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
There are some good warranties out there.
Back in the 70ís my dad had a few snapon tools that had been his dadís and were purchased during the war years so they werenít chrome plated. The 3/8Ē ratchet was bad about slipping and one day he asked the snapon guy if possibly there were parts available for that old ratchet. He took it out to his truck and returned it good as new right there on the spot. No charge.
Dad and i were proud of those old tools. Some time later our shop was broken into and we lost all our tools.
I guess snapon set the standard for warranties.
Was that burglary in Pine Bluff Boog?
__________________
other Larry





When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.

This is not what I expected.
davischevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Boog
primer is finer
 
Boog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Searcy, Ark. USA
Posts: 6,752
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Close. West Helena
__________________
Boog
69 Chevy stepside, 358/T350, 4.10 posi, 4.5/4 drop, rallys, poboy driver
09 Yukon SLT 4wd, 06 GMC crewcab Z71 5.3, 4.10
All GM..'nuff said,
Member of Jr Nation 88
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #12
davischevy
Senior Member
 
davischevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Harrison, Arkansas
Posts: 3,293
Re: SK Ratchet Update

In terms of burglary, that's even better.
__________________
other Larry





When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.

This is not what I expected.
davischevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
Boog
primer is finer
 
Boog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Searcy, Ark. USA
Posts: 6,752
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Yeah, i should have left sooner.
__________________
Boog
69 Chevy stepside, 358/T350, 4.10 posi, 4.5/4 drop, rallys, poboy driver
09 Yukon SLT 4wd, 06 GMC crewcab Z71 5.3, 4.10
All GM..'nuff said,
Member of Jr Nation 88
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Well they said they shipped it. They don't ship to PO boxes so I had them send it to my parents' address. (After a mail box theft and then a home break in attempt, I stopped getting mail at my house).

I emailed them about posting our emails to a discussion forum, they thanked me again for that. I figure they desire the good publicity.

*I split a Proto socket once, cracked it. It was a 1/2 inch and a friend helping me with those welded in front cab bolts did it with a breaker bar so it is possible to crack one without using an air tool. It was dad's, I replaced it with either a Gearwrench or Autocraft piece. Old set too....the cracked socket was probably made in the 1960's or 1970's. *The other cab bolt I took out alone, using a lot more Dremel Tool time on the spot weld.
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #15
nds1968
Registered User
 
nds1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,548
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I called early this year for a repair kit for my 3/8" ratchet, they sent me a whole new ratchet... So I still have the broken one LOL.
__________________
Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #16
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
I called early this year for a repair kit for my 3/8" ratchet, they sent me a whole new ratchet... So I still have the broken one LOL.
What is the chrome finish like on the new one?
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Received the new kit from SK yesterday.

They sent instructions, the new ratchet part (main casting and all internals), snap ring, and new selector bar. They even sent along a sealed clear plastic packet of grease.

There is no excess grease on the main assembly, I assume they know exactly how much to put in there on those parts. I hope to assemble it tomorrow, using the bench vise as detailed in the instructions.

I'll keep you guys advised.
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #18
joeydurango
Just a nostalgist
 
joeydurango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 664
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I've got some old S-K wrenches and sockets from my grandpa-in-law. They must be at least as old as my truck, and I love 'em.

Helpful hint for the future (not even being snarky): If I understand which parts you were trying to describe correctly (spring-loaded ratchet teeth, right?), those are "pawls". Funny enough, though, the gear ring they engage with is sometimes called the "dog ring", which might make more sense with what you thought you heard them called!
__________________
1972 K10 Cheyenne | SWB, fleetside | 5.3/4L60 | SOLD
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super | LWB, fleetside | 350/350
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 AM   #19
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I've got some old S-K wrenches and sockets from my grandpa-in-law. They must be at least as old as my truck, and I love 'em.

Helpful hint for the future (not even being snarky): If I understand which parts you were trying to describe correctly (spring-loaded ratchet teeth, right?), those are "pawls". Funny enough, though, the gear ring they engage with is sometimes called the "dog ring", which might make more sense with what you thought you heard them called!
You have to admit "spring-loaded ratchet teeth" is pretty accurate.

In the instructions SK sent along with the parts, I saw the word "pawls."
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 AM   #20
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Put the new repair kit in the ratchet today. It was very easy, I didn't even need the snap ring pliers, I just used the 90 degree bent needle nose pliers I have. The new snap ring in the kit has longer ends that are easier to get hold of over the old snap ring.

I used the supplied grease on the teeth of the pawls and on the ratchet head itself. Seems to be working great!

I am now a lifelong SK devotee!
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
Tynee
I miss this truck.
 
Tynee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lexington, KY U.S.A.
Posts: 2,852
Re: SK Ratchet Update

I've bought some used Snap-On stuff lately, and a couple of the ratchets needed rebuild. everybody told me that for the price, Snap-On should warranty their product even if ownership had changed. I checked their warranty, and it states that their warranty only applied to the original purchaser.

My local driver looked at me like I was insane when I stepped on the truck and told him I needed 2rebuikd kits and no, I didn't want them under warranty. I may be crazy, but I sleep like a little baby at night.

On a slightly more related note, I really like the SK wrenches I have, but I've never cared for their knurled handle on their ratchets.
__________________
'07 GMC Acadia SLT. Sweet ride.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #22
In The Ten Ring
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,340
Re: SK Ratchet Update

Tynee, I like you!

What feels good in one man's hand feels terrible in another. One big reason I like SK so much is my dad used and still uses those.
In The Ten Ring is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com