The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Radford46

Daily driver

I’ve been trying to get a pic of this truck for awhile. I pass it on the road a lot, but haven’t caught it parked until today.
This is a farmers daily driver. He drives it at least 20 miles a day up a steep mountain and back down.
He really is using it for farm use, picking up groceries and hardware are where I’ve seen it, besides parked at his farm.
Attached Images

Radford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Daily driver

-
Makes you wonder whats actually holding it together....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
geunther

That is a bit awesome. Got to be some sort of cost per year record.

When I was a kid there was a rancher just like that. He would buy a brand new blazer and drive that thing into the ground. The first I noticed was a 70. Then go buy another brand new one.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
truckster

I'm guessing it's exempt from any safety inspections...
Old 10-07-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I'm guessing it's exempt from any safety inspections...
I don't think that it could possibly pass a safety inspection. It says "Farm Use"; doesn't that mean it isn't supposed to be used on the road, as in not paying for license tags?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
Blue GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Makes you wonder whats actually holding it together....

LockDoc
My bet is duct tape and strong faith in God.
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
painterljp

At least He doesn't have to worry about anybody stealing it or banging there doors into his or scratching it up. Way to go. Bet people walk way around it in parking lot. Be funny watching people all day. Good for him. Paid for itself many times over. Probably pretty happy guy. Cool!!
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
va72longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I don't think that it could possibly pass a safety inspection. It says "Farm Use"; doesn't that mean it isn't supposed to be used on the road, as in not paying for license tags?
Actually, here in Virginia, putting “ Farm use” on it restricts you to 75 miles from your farm and only farm use. Getting groceries isn’t considered farm use, though many push it. No registration, no inspections, No insurance ( though you’re still liable). Has to be 7500 gvw or more, I believe. You can also get a state issued “farm tag” that expands your use, as you’re considered registered then, but it’ll cost you a small yearly fee.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #9
Radford46

I’m not positive, but farm use applies to using it for anything pertaining to your farm. Getting groceries and hardware fall into those categories. He probably passes several Roanoke County cops and the Roanoke and Floyd state troopers at least weekly. As a farmer once told me about driving a tractor on a slanted field,’ you just have to find your balls’.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
dmjlambert

I'm gonna drive mine until it looks like that!
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:24 PM   #11
va72longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radford46 View Post
I’m not positive, but farm use applies to using it for anything pertaining to your farm. Getting groceries and hardware fall into those categories. He probably passes several Roanoke County cops and the Roanoke and Floyd state troopers at least weekly. As a farmer once told me about driving a tractor on a slanted field,’ you just have to find your balls’.
No, I can assure you that groceries doesn’t count. Hardware, yes. Been down that road. Like I said though, 9 out of 10 of Virginia’s finest won’t challenge ya unless it’s you really take advantage of it.
From the dmv website;
You are not required to register a vehicle (obtain license plates and decals) or pay a registration fee for any pickup or panel truck, sport utility vehicle, vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds, trailer, or semitrailer used exclusively for agricultural or horticultural purposes on lands owned or leased by the vehicle's owner. Although registration is not required, such vehicles must be titled. This registration exemption applies only to vehicles that are not operated on or over any public highway for any purpose other than:
Crossing a highway;
Operating along a highway for a distance of no more than seventy-five (75) miles from one part of the owner's land to another, irrespective of whether the tracts adjoin;
Taking the vehicle or attached fixtures to and from a repair shop for repairs;
Taking another vehicle exempt from registration under any provision of Va. Code §§ 46.2-664 through 46.2-668 or § 46.2-672, or any part or subcomponent of such a vehicle, to or from a repair shop for repairs, including return trips;
Operating along a highway to and from a refuse disposal facility for the purpose of disposing of trash and garbage generated on a farm; or
Operating along a highway for a distance of no more than seventy-five (75) miles for the purpose of obtaining supplies for agricultural or horticultural purposes, seeds, fertilizers, chemicals, or animal feed. (Va. Code § 46.2-665)
Transporting the vehicle owner between his residence and the land where such agricultural or horticultural activities take place.

What would be neat to know is whether or not he’s the original owner and is getting every cent out of it ! I’ve driven farm trucks like that to where you had to keep the windows down to let the exhaust fumes out that were coming up through the floor.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:47 PM   #12
geunther

I keep looking at it. Is it an optical illusion with no two panels on the same plane?
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It looks like the frame is broken. That's scary!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #14
toms68cst

It's got cool patina where the rust holes aren't. At least the drivers door is pretty well aligned. (As long as it's closed.)

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #15
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by va72longhorn View Post
No, I can assure you that groceries doesn’t count. Hardware, yes. Been down that road. Like I said though, 9 out of 10 of Virginia’s finest won’t challenge ya unless it’s you really take advantage of it.
From the dmv website;
You are not required to register a vehicle (obtain license plates and decals) or pay a registration fee for any pickup or panel truck, sport utility vehicle, vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds, trailer, or semitrailer used exclusively for agricultural or horticultural purposes on lands owned or leased by the vehicle's owner. Although registration is not required, such vehicles must be titled. This registration exemption applies only to vehicles that are not operated on or over any public highway for any purpose other than:
Crossing a highway;
Operating along a highway for a distance of no more than seventy-five (75) miles from one part of the owner's land to another, irrespective of whether the tracts adjoin;
Taking the vehicle or attached fixtures to and from a repair shop for repairs;
Taking another vehicle exempt from registration under any provision of Va. Code §§ 46.2-664 through 46.2-668 or § 46.2-672, or any part or subcomponent of such a vehicle, to or from a repair shop for repairs, including return trips;
Operating along a highway to and from a refuse disposal facility for the purpose of disposing of trash and garbage generated on a farm; or
Operating along a highway for a distance of no more than seventy-five (75) miles for the purpose of obtaining supplies for agricultural or horticultural purposes, seeds, fertilizers, chemicals, or animal feed. (Va. Code § 46.2-665)
Transporting the vehicle owner between his residence and the land where such agricultural or horticultural activities take place.

What would be neat to know is whether or not he’s the original owner and is getting every cent out of it ! I’ve driven farm trucks like that to where you had to keep the windows down to let the exhaust fumes out that were coming up through the floor.
There is another paragraph in those regs:

You are not required to register or pay a registration fee for any farm vehicle if the vehicle is making a return trip from any marketplace, transporting back to the farm ordinary and essential food and other products for home and farm use, or transporting farm supplies to the farm. (Va. Code § 46.2-673)

So he’s good.

I don’t know why there isn’t a paragraph in those regs regarding a requirement addressing the basic safety of the vehicle (specifically brakes)….

It would be interesting to get the history of the truck….
Old 10-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #16
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I understand things can change over the years, but looking at the truck I would ask how does a C10 qualify for "Over 7500" GVWR.

Thoughts?

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
BigBird05

Like a Rock.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #18
Radford46

If y’all saw the mountain he travels up and down every day with hairpin turns and a 55 speed limit, you like me would think he’s apparently an excellent mechanic.
The rotting(?) of the bed mounts causing it to tip, is a relatively new issue. It does make it look like the frame is gone, but I don’t know how it could be with his traveling.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #19
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
It's got cool patina where the rust holes aren't. At least the drivers door is pretty well aligned. (As long as it's closed.)
That door is keeping it from folding up.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #20
68Gold/white

It makes The Farm Truck (from the street outlaws) look pristine!!

I’ve never seen the lack of a license plate, like that, ever....to be on a road, some sort of a registered plate has to be on it. Oklahoma has farm use plates, not the Mr. Haney type, as pictured!!!!

I’d like to have it!!! Put a LS3 in it, and of course good brakes and all fundamentally proper safety items....

Looks like something, Too Much Stuff has at his house!!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #21
yuccales

I don't know why, but the second I saw this old truck, I thought of this old flag! I love that song.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #22
HotWheelsFan

And the truck looks like it falling apart "one piece at a time".

HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #23
67RS/SSx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
I understand things can change over the years, but looking at the truck I would ask how does a C10 qualify for "Over 7500" GVWR.

Thoughts?

Smitty
My thoughts exactly. My C20 door plate says 7500 is the most my truck rating could be (and is). If the reg says it must be "greater than 7500"... Have to be a C30 or larger???
1972 Chevy C10 Cheyenne Super (sold)
1984 Chevy Silverado C20 crew cab (bought new by my uncle, in the family until I sold it)
67RS/SSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #24
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radford46 View Post
I’ve been trying to get a pic of this truck for awhile. I pass it on the road a lot, but haven’t caught it parked until today.
This is a farmers daily driver. He drives it at least 20 miles a day up a steep mountain and back down.
He really is using it for farm use, picking up groceries and hardware are where I’ve seen it, besides parked at his farm.
If ya ever get another chance, get some more pictures of this beast!!!

Thanks for this one great picture!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #25
Radford46

I’ll be on the lookout. I don’t want to cause him any problems though.