The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
Paul Y

Fusebox. Anyone used a modern on in a C10?

As progress on Woody continues I am now planning the electrical instal and had a thought - always dangerous.

I am swapping in a LM7 which has the fusebox from (I believe ) a 2007 Escalade with it.

After looking at the fuse box in the truck and the one with the engine it looks as if I could transfer over the wiring from the old to the new and have modern fuses plus relays etc built in for...stuff...

Now, the question is has anybody gone down this route? I had a look and could not find any reference to this swap which usually means it is a bad idea.

I am no electrical genius but it does look like a put wire a in slot a type of deal.

Over to you!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Fusebox. Anyone used a modern on in a C10?

Here is my thoughts on this. Use a stand alone harness on the engine with its small fuse box for what the engine ecu controls. The Put an American auto wire harness in the truck to bring it up to date. Trying to intermingle the two could be bad.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #3
Paul Y

Thanks Jimmy.

My thoughts were, as I am on a budget, that as I am going too use the standard fuse box and ECU just to get Woody mobile integrating my wiring harness into the more modern fuse box would be relatively simple.

There are not that many circuits in our trucks so really it is just the lights wipers and horn that are going through the new fuse box.

Will have a closer look and see how feasible it might be.

Or just buy a new loom!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
MT65

PG has the best scenario, stand-alone harness for engine, American Auto Wire harness for the truck, it will be much simpler for you...you can get a harness specific for the truck, which will cost about double or a universal which will do the same thing..depends on how you want to deal with your wiring investments...
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
1G1YY

Paul. I also am on a budget and have done what you were thinking. Since I am running a TPI and T700 system, with 3 thermo fans, cruise control, 6 relays, elec fuel pump, stereo, separate front light to rear light and indicator wiring and more... I used an old C4 Corvette fuse box that had all of the wires cut about 2" from the back of the fuse box. I then went ahead and rewired everything that was going to be used on my truck to the different circuits on the later fuse block. It is very time consuming and you really need to focus on the job, as it can get very confusing as well. When it was done and working I printed up a conversion chart, as many of the "labels" imprinted on the new fuse block did not marry up to some of the circuits I had wired. If I was to do a rewire again I would find the bux to buy a generic fuse block as others have said, and probably done it more simply. Apart from cost the only other advantage for me has been having over 20 circuits fused, meaning that I have been able to isolate many circuits that often run off of the same fuse....again, very time consuming.
1G1YY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Justin71105

I put a entire new body harness in mine from speedway motors. I had no harness at all to start with. Have a stand alone harness for my L59 engine as well.

Even with nothing to go by it only took a day or two to run all my wires to rear and front.

Used that fuse box to feed switched power out to my cooling fan relays/starter relay and stand alone ls harness.

Just started motor this weekend for the firat time and that side works. Have yet to install any lights/radio.

Mine was a 21 circuit but wish I had gone with a 12 circuit now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin71105; 04-27-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Justin71105 is offline   Reply With Quote