The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #76
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Re: Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project*

looks good. very nice

jeff
2012 Chevy Avalanche
2003 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RA_Jeff
64 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295915
98L150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #77
XXL
Seņor Member

Mild chop + trim...
Attached Images

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #78
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Mild chop + trim...
FF, after you get done with my Suburban Tahoe chop (note to self... need to get a Suburban first), you ought to get rid of the C-pillar and the fixed window. On the driver's side, just go large window from B-pillar to rear. On the passenger side, do a frameless glass on the door so it looks like it's one piece to the rear of the truck as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #79
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
FF, after you get done with my Suburban Tahoe chop (note to self... need to get a Suburban first), you ought to get rid of the C-pillar and the fixed window. On the driver's side, just go large window from B-pillar to rear. On the passenger side, do a frameless glass on the door so it looks like it's one piece to the rear of the truck as well.

Heck if he does that he might as weld up the 3rd door, give the b-pillar a forward slant and call it a NOMAD.

That's another phantom idea as I love Nomads and can't afford one as the prices keep climbing....
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #80
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Firewall at work Hopefully you can see them from another comuter.
Maybe, I have not ever had problems seeing picts before? Is it the blue one XXL posted a pict of? I'd love to see it, can someone copy and paste it into a post? I might be able to see it then!? I am feeling way left out!?
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #81
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Maybe, I have not ever had problems seeing picts before? Is it the blue one XXL posted a pict of? I'd love to see it, can someone copy and paste it into a post? I might be able to see it then!? I am feeling way left out!?
Here you go. Link to the Photobucket account
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #82
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Let's see it!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #83
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Mild chop + trim...
Not diggin the chop. Makes it look like a Suburban again Love the trim and clean-up though
Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #84
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Heck if he does that he might as weld up the 3rd door, give the b-pillar a forward slant and call it a NOMAD.
I was grafting in the rear side glass shape on the back of the door when I realized I should do some real work today.

Quote:
Let's see it!
Ditto... though I did complete a rough of this. I'll post it tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #85
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
I'd love to do another one. It'd probably take less time and turn out better!

Thanks guys

Ok great just PM me on how much its gonna cost me ...lets see...if I sell the 58 ford wagon project and my recently acquired 51 ford coupe project...and and and...

Mark
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #86
Faster57

That has to be one of the best documented and coolest jobs ever. I get started on something and forget to take half of the pictures!!! I had a thought for the top if someone does another one. If you left the back section a 1/2" long and flanged the front I bet it would come together with just small cuts on the rear section at the drip rail. My hat is off to you!!! Dave
Faster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #87
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ok great just PM me on how much its gonna cost me ...lets see...if I sell the 58 ford wagon project and my recently acquired 51 ford coupe project...and and and...

Mark
Thats your first problem...Need to get rid of those FORDS!

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #88
69clark

Let me just say, "You are the Man", sweet project!
69clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #89
jseifert

WWWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWW

I knew that Iwould see some cool stuff when I joined this board, but I didn't think that it would be something THAT awesome!!!! That is absolutely incredible...

And I am not sure what your occupation is.... but I noticed that you said that you do this as a hobby.... You could be the next Boyd Coddington!!! Great body work, motivation, and will to complete..... My hat is off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frizzle Fry the Great ----- Master of the Tah-burban
jseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #90
abebummy26

An angle grinder?? I cant even draw a straight line period hats off to you bro only thing i would have done was find one with barn doors I always liked that look otherwise, its the most bad ass thing i have ever seen. ranks right up there with the 69 Daytona I saw. Talk about some amazing metal work every thing on those is steel & lead course all the lead workers are all dead. This is bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #91
earl87gta

I love it. I wonder if 1 peice glass could be made to get rid of those small rear widows or would it not work in the door.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #92
gregfull

Awesome Work! You definetely follow the rule of the 5 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. You planned for a year, and your performance definetly shows. By your step by step procedure, I could see alot of people following suit and building their own Tahoe. Thanks and congrats!
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #93
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl87gta View Post
I love it. I wonder if 1 peice glass could be made to get rid of those small rear widows or would it not work in the door.

No the small door section is their so the large section can go up and down with out hitting the structure.

So do you thing the welding up will take longer then the total chop job? I love doing this stuff but hate the slow weldind process.

And what the heck do you mean about the 4th door and knowing your limits! Although your method is almost what has been done in my head over the last year (minus the 4th door) you pulled it off before me and my hats off to ya!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #94
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

Mark
Those will be cool projects. Just follow the procedure I just documented. It'll be much cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster57 View Post
That has to be one of the best documented and coolest jobs ever. I get started on something and forget to take half of the pictures!!! I had a thought for the top if someone does another one. If you left the back section a 1/2" long and flanged the front I bet it would come together with just small cuts on the rear section at the drip rail. My hat is off to you!!! Dave
Well, the top is all lined up and tacked now. I'll post more pics today. I like the freedom you have to shape the panels when they are not touching each other, which influences their shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69clark View Post
Let me just say, "You are the Man", sweet project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
An angle grinder?? I cant even draw a straight line period hats off to you bro only thing i would have done was find one with barn doors I always liked that look otherwise, its the most bad ass thing i have ever seen. ranks right up there with the 69 Daytona I saw. Talk about some amazing metal work every thing on those is steel & lead course all the lead workers are all dead. This is bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys. You know you can get "lead-free" body solder now. I'm going to use it an a bumper I modified and need chromed for the 61.

Quote:
I've seen it done actually. There is room on a Burb apparently, but not on this. My wheel wells took up any space for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfull View Post
Awesome Work! You definetely follow the rule of the 5 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. You planned for a year, and your performance definetly shows. By your step by step procedure, I could see alot of people following suit and building their own Tahoe. Thanks and congrats!
Thanks. I hope they do! I honestly think this is the first done this way. Unless someone has pics to prove otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
So do you thing the welding up will take longer then the total chop job? I love doing this stuff but hate the slow weldind process.

And what the heck do you mean about the 4th door and knowing your limits! Although your method is almost what has been done in my head over the last year (minus the 4th door) you pulled it off before me and my hats off to ya!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Ya, I love the build, but the finish work can be tedious It'll take some time for sure.

I have no doubts I could pull off the 4th door. Just not in the timeline I had available to get this thing back on the road. Maybe a future upgrade
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #95
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Here's one like that, but it has a stock wheelbase and a chopped @$$-end.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #96
70rs/ss

Thanks for the link FizzleFry, now I can see why everyone was oh ing and ah ing, very nice. I had thoughts of doing this (No time and my skills are not up to you ability) so I have placed it into the when I retire file. I'll retire in about 18 years at 52yo so I'll hopefully have the gumption to tackle this type of chop.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #97
earl87gta

The windows on my 95 Tahoe dont go all the way down becuse of the doors have the cut out for the tires if you can live with form over function I would go for it. every one would think you had some rare concept from GM they cant even get the windows all the way down on the new Tohoes.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #98
jimmydean

That looks AWESOME!
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #99
RANDY COX

my God Man Are You Insane.excellent Craftsmenship.very Impressive.very Unique,very Talented.sweet Fancy Moses.[/b]
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #100
Frizzle Fry

Appreciatin the props guys. I love how it turned out.

I got the top all lined up and tacked the way I wanted it. Since the mis-match was high-front/low-back, I could have either brought the front down to match the back, brought the back up to match the front, or moved both to meet half way.

Well, after looking at it and looking at the pictures I decided the back needed to come up to give it the roof line I wanted.

So I made two relief cuts in the rear roof and added more high density foam under the rear most roof support. Those have this foam strip in the center of the ribs factory so I took the strip out of the one that got cut out along with the 20" of roof, and added it to this one.

Extra foam:

I also cut the upper trim and put in in place for a test fit (ya, a little ahead of myself, but I wanted so see it...).

All lined up...