The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
bloody hammer

'62 C10 w/ 235 - Coil Diameter

I try to not get aggravated with the little things but when I go to do something that should be a simple 10 minute job and can't get it done... well, I know we've all been there. Has anyone else had this problem with replacing the ignition coil?

The new coil has a larger diameter which prevents the bracket from closing enough for the mounting holes to line up with the engine. I'm sure I could get out the Dremel tool and grind out one of the holes enough to make it work but I'm hoping to figure out the better way... buying the correct coil.

The old coil has a diameter of 2.11"
The new coil has a diameter of 2.18"

not much of a difference but still... enough to keep the bracket holes from lining up. In fact, I can't even get it closed enough to get the screw started on the new coil.

1962 C-10 Stepside with a 235

[IMG][/IMG]
bloody hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Llay R. Rac

Re: '62 C10 w/ 235 - Coil Diameter

I had that problem this summer with the coil for my 292, i couldn't even get the bolt to start in the clamp, i ended up buying a NOS coil that had the same diameter as my old one.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
bloody hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac View Post
I had that problem this summer with the coil for my 292, i couldn't even get the bolt to start in the clamp, i ended up buying a NOS coil that had the same diameter as my old one.
Do you recall where you found it? Was it online... ebay or some such?

I'm sure I could use my hillbilly engineering to make this one work but I'm trying to not go that route.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Llay R. Rac

I found it on ebay.
i started to mickey mouse engineer the bracket to fit the new coil , then decided to put my old one back on, while i looked for a NOS.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Isaiah92260

You and I both!
I had this same problem, the new coils sure are bigger, what I did was got a pair of channel locks and squeezed the bracket as tight as I could while my girlfriend threaded the screw into the nut on the back side of the bracket to clamp down the coil. I sure did bent the clamp from its original shape a little, but you can barely tell. Maybe vise grips would work better and be easier on the hands, but try that what I did.
After that, it mounted on to the motor no problem!
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
bloody hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
You and I both!
I had this same problem, the new coils sure are bigger, what I did was got a pair of channel locks and squeezed the bracket as tight as I could while my girlfriend threaded the screw into the nut on the back side of the bracket to clamp down the coil. I sure did bent the clamp from its original shape a little, but you can barely tell. Maybe vise grips would work better and be easier on the hands, but try that what I did.
After that, it mounted on to the motor no problem!
I did sort of try that earlier. Like you, I put some channel locks on it and was leaning down on it pretty hard and just barely got the screw threaded. It probably would have taken another 5 or 6 turns to get the clamp closed enough for the holes to line up. But then I got worried if I tightened it too much I might rupture the coil housing. You know that feeling you get when you just know you probably shouldn't give it one more turn or something will break or snap?

lol... I had one of those moments. Isn't there oil inside these canister type coils?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody hammer View Post
I did sort of try that earlier. Like you, I put some channel locks on it and was leaning down on it pretty hard and just barely got the screw threaded. It probably would have taken another 5 or 6 turns to get the clamp closed enough for the holes to line up. But then I got worried if I tightened it too much I might rupture the coil housing. You know that feeling you get when you just know you probably shouldn't give it one more turn or something will break or snap?

lol... I had one of those moments. Isn't there oil inside these canister type coils?
Haha yup I know that feeling.
Same thing with mine, I only got it screwed on just enough, I haven’t had an issue yet. Maybe go to a hardware store and get a longer screw? Home the mounting holes to line up?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #8
bloody hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
Haha yup I know that feeling.
Same thing with mine, I only got it screwed on just enough, I haven’t had an issue yet. Maybe go to a hardware store and get a longer screw? Home the mounting holes to line up?
You were right about the vice grips. I was able to get the clamp closed enough to where the mounting holes lined up with the engine but there was no way that screw was going to work. The length wasn't an issue this time... it was the angle... the screw holes were out of whack because of the coil diameter. I ended up using a cable tie to hold the clamp closed and the coil bracket mounted on just fine. I'm thinking that even if the cable tie breaks it really shouldn't be a big deal. As far as I can tell the only thing that screw does is hold the clamp closed. It's not like the coil is going to fall out without the screw (or in my case the cable tie).

I appreciate all the responses!

Last edited by bloody hammer; 11-29-2018 at 11:50 PM.