The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
CSHADES

Talking 1939-40 chrome/stainless bumper

i am looking for somebody that has purchased a bumper from one of the aftermarket guys like rock valley or chevs of the 40s. i want a chrome/stainless bumper for my 40 that is like the original with the grooves in it. i have tried to get one of my originals rechromed and polished on both sides, they keep telling me that the ones i send them are not good enough. So i am looking at finding a perfect original or going with a repop stainless. i know a lot of you guys think i am to pickey, but why bother if it doesn't look good?
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
crossfire84

Re: 1939-40 chrome/stainless bumper

www.advancedplating.com Ive had work done by them, fantastic results but $$$ they can fix and plate really bad looking stuff, give them a look.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
CSHADES

update on the bumper---after checking with some of the guys on stovebolt that told me that every one of the grilles and bumpers they bought were ugly after a short time, I decided to give Keystone one more shot with the last 40 bumper I had. This bumper is the original front bumper from the truck. I sent it in just before thanksgiving. It came back this morning, I opened the package in front of the delivery guy and ill have to say they did a beautiful job on it with the exception of the 2 tabs they welded on to the back to hold it in their fixture and then didn't finish removing them. So he took it back again to be repaired. The thing looked so perfect on the front that I almost hated to let him take it.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
paulspickupparts

I used to use Northstar which I believe was bought out by Keystone. This was back in the day before China started selling the knockoffs . The quality was superb. In all the years I had them plated I never returned one. I quit doing it when the repo's hit the shore. The last one I had done was $450, probably more now . Over 10 years old and still looks like the day I installed. Most people cannot afford that kind of chrome .So they buy a repo , and complain . Or they find a cheap chrome shop with poor results and complain. It kind of goes back to the old story line "you get what you pay for" .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
CSHADES

I do believe you get what you pay for. This bumper was 421.00 with tax, picked up and delivered from my shop. I looked at the repops but could not see a clear pic of what they are and everybody I talked to didn't think they were good enough to use.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
CSHADES

I got the bumper back from the chrome plater for the second time. This time it looks fantastic. I installed it on sun afternoon after installing the chin/baffle assembly as I have shown in the other thread, I also used new correct style bolts that I bought from chevs of the 40s instead of the parts store round head ones that were on the bumper before. I also played with the classic farm truck plate and license plate topper. I had a 40-41 farm tag on last summer but I thought the color of it was a bit bland and the license plate topper was for the 1940 presidential election. So being the election is over and wanting something different, I thought I would try a 39-40 farm tag and a soda license topper, I would say the yellow tag definitely pops out at you more than the brown tag does. What do you guys think? Yellow or brown tag?
Attached Images