The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
350TacoZilla

Any opening,roll down rear windows around?

Ok so crazy idea #32105. I had an 06 tundra with the power rear window and ever since then I have wanted that feature in every truck I drive, I was thinking of maybe trying to use a power sunroof as a rear window in my small window 63....has it been done?

Thinking was I would cut a flange from donor car maybe 2" all around and weld that into opening on cab then line up the mechanism on inside rear cab wall and make mounts for it. I should note I will not have the tank in cab no matter what.

Simpler approach would be one of the little manual ones that you just tip up at rear in stock form so it would tip from bottom in truck.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Any opening,roll down rear windows around?

Unfortunately, I don't have any productive input for you, but I am interested to see what you end up doing. I saw a '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser recently that the back windshield rolled up and down on and I thought it was super cool.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
SkinnyG

I was thinking of making the back window pop open at the bottom, much like a quarter window on a hatchback. I haven't thought it through all the way, though.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #4
65ChevyUtah

I have done some research on this with my big back window. I was looking at using the guts out of a 73-87 Blazer or suburban with a roll down window tailgate or a Toyota 4 runner. In the end I decided it was too much of a project. At the rate I am going if I continue to modify things I’ll never finish the truck. I’ve had it torn down for 14 years now.
65ChevyUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I was thinking of making the back window pop open at the bottom, much like a quarter window on a hatchback. I haven't thought it through all the way, though.
How about the old flex thru rear windows from the 80s-90s that popped out on the ends?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7325872
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
350TacoZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Yeah thats what my back up plan mentioned meant, I might not have worded that well. Basically the universal manual sunroof where the back of them tip up, it would tip out at bottom like your saying so even light rain should run right off it.

I am lucky to have the SBW, when I was first thinking about this and looking into it the BBW would be a huge pain to get to work. I just loved how much less wind buffering happened with window open even a tiny bit.

I read where the SBW is 10x38 and BBW is 14x60 so I'm guessing any sunroof that is between those should be doable . I might have to just grab a measuring tape and walk around few JY's to get idea of what is available. I'm certainly not against the easier manual option if the power will end up being a huge fuss. I dont plan to do power windows in truck either but do want 1 piece ones also.

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 11-21-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
WhippinSaw

Seen this at a local car show,
bouncy air bags and
Shoots fire out the back way cool
Has some of his build at a link at bottom of page.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=636208
Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
350TacoZilla

Thats a pretty slick install on rear window for sure. Hopefully once weather is above 32 and stops with the freeing rain I'll be able to snout something out at local JY.