The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Boring HEI Dilemma?

Ever since I brought the truck home from the big part of the build, I've had surprises in the area of "no-start". Never can tell when it's going to happen.
Once I got the timing dialed in, the drivability has been perfect. Starts at the touch of the key.....Except when she doesn't. I can go two weeks and it just
starts and runs and fun is had by all. Until, like this morning, out I went and crank, crank, crank...no fire.

Never happens when it's been running the same day. I've been through all sorts of fixes. To the point that I now know it's spark related.

If anyone has read this far, then maybe you like puzzles enough to give a guy a tip or two.

Even though I'm afraid to lose you, here's what I've done over the time trying to stop the intermittent starting problems:
I'll leave out the fuel side of it, because I've been from tank to manifold, including adding an electric fuel pump. It's electrical.

Here's how I know:

I connected the timing light and, with the hood open, I shoved the nose (of the light) between the cowl and the hood and made a shadow box so I could
see (from the drivers perch) if the light flashes while I'm cranking...trying to start up. It doesn't.

The distributor is an Accel HEI that came with the truck. My bias leans in favor of it being screwed up...But that's why I need to ask you all....

During all of this, earlier I replaced the coil, being careful to get all the parts in the right place. The truck ran fine after that and didn't display starting problems.
But that was a couple of months ago.

Today, I checked for 12v at the connector. It had it. Even so, today I again tried a direct line to the battery in the engine compartment for a test. Used a decent gauge wire. No change.
Previously, during my trying to figure out the starting issue, I had moved the wire into the cab..... I went (same decent gauge...I think 10g) directly to the fuse block for the juice.
She ran and started fine until today.

Today, I pulled the new(ish) coil off of the top of the dizzy to check the ground, "Tach" and "Batt" blades, the rubber doughnut and the spring and "plunger". There was still a small amount of the
dielectric (sp?) grease on the rubber "doughnut", and everything *looked* okay.

Buttoned it back up and, for the test, went back to a direct wire from the Batt on the dizzy to the + side of the battery, re-connected the timing light and put it back in its viewfinder between
the hood and cowl.

"Crank, crank, crank, crank, crank."

I have to say that all this time, in between tests and no-starts, I'm checking for over 12v at the battery and the batt connector on the distributor. And, just because I'm paranoid, I'm looking
down the gut of the carb to make sure the "squirt factor" is there.

So, I'd love to have any comments. Particularly, I'm scratching my head over the fact that it starts (fires right up) enough of the time to make me thing that she's now reliable.
Until, like this morning, she didn't....And WON'T.....until I do SOMETHING. In fact, I was so p*ssed that I couldn't figure it out (when I thought I HAD long before this), that I just took
the coil back off, put the air cleaner back on, and hooked up the float-charger to the new, disconnected BOSCH battery.

I'd LOVE a hug!!!
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 05-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Re: Boring HEI Dilemma?

I would look at the control module for an intermittent spark issue, over the years I have had a few bad ones produce the same results you are talking about. Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
magwakeenercew2jh

Hey, Mel. Thanks.

Don't have a control module. Maybe that's the problem?
One wire set-up on the harness for the alt.

The only wires in the HEI set up are the Tach to the + of the tach, BATT to 12v in the harness, the coil on the top of the HEI, and the plug wires to the plugs.
There ARE three wires that run from the lower body of the dizzy to the general area that the BATT and TACH connectors attach, though.
But always a rat.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'd bet the module is your culprit.

The module is the little flat electronic box thats under the distributor cap screwed to the distributor housing. It's held down by a little screw on each end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh

Cool. That's my next check.
Thanks, Guys.

I bet you are correct.....I didn't even know it was there. Hahahaha!!!!
But always a rat.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter

Ignition modules are one of the places where quality is paramount. No Chinese cheapies here. Step up to an AC Delco module or similar quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Hey, Mel. Thanks.
Don't have a control module. Maybe that's the problem?
No problem, I circled the module in the below picture. I have had to replace a more than few of these over the years and as a side note make sure that your motor is grounded well as that can also affect the longevity/life of the module. Figured out the engine grounding issue only after replacing three of them on the same truck over a six month span. Most likely not your issue, but I will also mention another problem head scratcher that took a bit to figure out, be sure that your coil mounting screws are the right OE factory length. I had a truck come in with an hei that had a single oddball wrong length screw which had pierced the inner cap (firing) area which in turn would ground the ignition system, and this was also an intermittent issue that would come and go. Good luck on the fix, Mel.

Last edited by Classic Bowties; 05-05-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Forgot pic...
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
magwakeenercew2jh

You guys just made my night a lot better.....In fact, you made my next three weeks waaay better.

The Boss (42 yrs so far) and I are taking off for Europe tomorrow morning. I would'a spent too much time thinking about this
while strolling the streets of Paris. (I'm a cheap date...that's what we do on a trip).

Now, all I'll have to do is find the correct module (agreed on the quality thang TxFF), and try that out when we get home.

Feelin' good about that as a fix.

You guys are at the very top of my "Good Guy List" today.
Thanks again.

Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

Rock auto has the AC Delco module. It could be waiting in your mailbox when you return from Paris.

If you want, here is my 5% discount code they emailed me recently. Help yourself.

Code....1417751610932017
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

Man I know you hate to see your stuff on a rollback. I sure do. I've had my share of dist issues just like yours. It's good insurance to carry a spare module in the glove box. One day you will need it. Have a nice trip.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Rock auto has the AC Delco module. It could be waiting in your mailbox when you return from Paris.

If you want, here is my 5% discount code they emailed me recently. Help yourself.

Code....1417751610932017
Posted via Mobile Device
Very cool. Like Boog says, I'm gettin' two of 'em....
Thanks a bunch for the code.
But always a rat.