The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
putnam00

A/C Question

I'm putting a factory a/c in my 71 C-10 that currently doesn't have a/c. I have a serpentine kit, alt, wp, ps, ac, and condenser from a 95 Chevy truck. Am I going to have to get an aftermarket dryer, and special lines? What else am I forgetting? Thank you.
putnam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: A/C Question

I am in the middle of something somewhat the same--in that-- I am changing out the POA system for a cycling system. Getting rid of the 50lb (seems like) A6 compressor and installing an R4 compressor. Rewiring, changed out the condenser, evaporator and receiver dryer already. For you not having an AC cab, how are you going about getting through the firewall with the needed items?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
putnam00

I have a complete factory a/c system including everything inside. You have to trim some of the firewall from a non a/c cab. That was the biggest thing. Here's my setup so far. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  54.2 KB
putnam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
clay68c10

PM F.A.A. Benny, or get ahold of Old Air in Ft Worth TX.
You will want a newer style condenser to run 134.

That's going to be a nice setup.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

The holes in the firewall are different for ac and non ac. See pic in other thread.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
B. W.

the R4 will run 134a fine. Many GM's ran the R4 after the mandated switch to R134a.

Here's what I'm going to use:
stock GM serp belt setup - 95 K1500
stock R4 compressor
stock hoses off of the compressor (has manifold that bolts to compressor, high side hose to condenser, low side hose coming from accumulator)
stock pipe from evaporator to condenser (this pipe houses the orifice tube) May need to shorten/lengthen for proper fitment/routing (or just build one)
stock orifice tube
square body evaporator (haven't tried to install, a member here posted that he'd installed one & if fit)
universal condenser ( forum member posted he used P/N CNFP 1427 from Ebay (14" x 27") Cant go much taller than 14" , hood latch assembly is in the way

Unknowns -
accumulator - need one with the outlets in the correct orientation. Looking for a stock GM application. need pre-'96 (switched to metric fittings in '96)
there are also some stock GM adapter pipes with various curves to connect the evap. to the accumulator ( one possible P/N 15551630)

I have one for a '98 GM truck that mocks up nicely but the threads are metric (option- install metric end on low side hose to compressor & build adapter pipe from evap. to accumulator)

Will need to fab lines from condenser to stock high side hose coming from compressor & outlet of condenser to pipe with orifice tube (or just build hoses, there are many manifold configurations available for the R4, check Murray Climate Control)

Anyway, it can be done nice & clean and look almost stock. It will take some custom work. Many of the parts are stock GM parts making availability/replacement easier ( & maybe cheaper)

If anyone knows of an accumulator that works post it up please!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
rsgt

I don't know if this will help anyone but this is what I did to my 70 El Camino. When I got the car the ac parts under the hood were missing except the evaporator housing on the firewall. I put a 88 Camaro evaporator in the box, it fit perfect. I found an 87 Chevy truck in a salvage yard and I got the compressor, brackets,condenser,all lines and hoses. The dryer is a 95 Buick Century with a V6. I got everything hooked up, no lines or hoses had to be made.
Attached Images

Last edited by rsgt; 07-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
F.A.A.benny

If nothing was altered in that evaporator, it cannot be out of 1998 Camaro. 4th gen fbody evaporators didn't use thread on style fittings. They used pad mount style fittings. A 3rd gen fbody would "fit" but is much shorter. Would be much better to use a square body evaporator..edit.. After looking g around a little it appears they may have made one but both the low and high side lines still come out in the same location. So one would have to bend the high side line so it would come out from the bottom of the housing.

Last edited by F.A.A.benny; 07-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
rsgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.A.benny View Post
If nothing was altered in that evaporator, it cannot be out of 1998 Camaro. 4th gen fbody evaporators didn't use thread on style fittings. They used pad mount style fittings. A 3rd gen fbody would "fit" but is much shorter. Would be much better to use a square body evaporator..edit.. After looking g around a little it appears they may have made one but both the low and high side lines still come out in the same location. So one would have to bend the high side line so it would come out from the bottom of the housing.
Benny, I corrected it. It was 1988. Thanks
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote