The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Engine and Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #26
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Thanks for the heads up. Will read up on it. Since I have LOTS of time. You did go to a parallel flow condensor... didn;t you? You gave me a link for one. Did you get a further improvement?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #27
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
Ya,the parallel flow condensor help greatly,esp. with idle vent temps.
I was just in Phoenix this Memorial day weekend and the ambiant temps were around 103 or so.
I had no cooling problems at idle or while moving.I didn't have a thermometer to check vent temps but I was comfortable in the truck.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #28
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

It's me again. I have gotten a little closer with the required parts. Just got in my parallel flow condensor (thanks BobbyK for the link) and a new R-4 compressor. I allready have a new poa elimenator kit, a new thermostatic expansion valve, and a new reciever/dryer. Re-using the evaporator. All that is left is to fab lines and decide if I am going to a Fixed Orifice Tube instead.

Here comes the question:

Where did you get the parts to fab the rigid lines? What size tube? Looks like 2 differant sizes in BobbyK's pic (3rd pic in 21st post). Do you use compression fittings?
Any help appreciated.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #29
BobbyK

The aluminium lines are the stock hard lines.I just turned the larger line horizontal and it lined right up to the new condensor(lucky).The upper,smaller line,is just rebent(carefully).It looks like crap though and I'll most likely make a new,rubber,hose for that connection.

The Pic your talking about is a pic of the hard lines connected to the orig. style Condensor.I had only Laid the bottom line down in the horizontal position when I took the pic.I hadn't and still do not have a pic of both lines connected.Here is all I have of the connections to the new Parallel flow condensor.

The hard lines use the factory style O-rings.

You can get the hard lines from any-one of the vendors on the board.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by augie; 04-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #30
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

BobbyK: Thanks for the responce. I hopped on last night and looks like you edited your post a little. You have helped me generate even more questions.

I remember seeing #'s 8 and 12? for the hose. Is the tube sized in gauges also or is it a standard measurement like 1/2" and 3/8"? If so, do you know the diameters? Understand you have reused factory hard lines. Do you think I can fab the rigid lines myself? Was thinking of finding the tube (somewhere) and using compression fittings. Think my bender goes up to 1/2". Understand you were adverse to using compression fittings for your FOT mod. Do you have the same missgivings for these lines?

The larger line in this newest pic is pressure from the compressor? I was under the impression this line should be connected to the upper connection. It must work either way. Just a maximum efficency thing?

Sorry for all the questions... I can definately wait until you are back from your trip for a reply. Still gathering all my marbles.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #31
BobbyK

"Larger line on bottom"
I've never heard if it makes a difference to be truthfull.
Yes,it's from the output of the compressor.

The hose sizes-I believe it's just an industry standard thing.
Like the #12 ia about a 1/2" i.d tube,#10 is something like 5/16",#8 is 3/8" etc.

the compreson fittings are on the market so they must work but for how long is the question.Our trucks are not the smoothest running vehicles out there and a compression fitting will prob. fail eventually.

If you want to splice in a tube so you can reuse the fatory "o" ring ends I'd get it tig'd together or aluminium brazed together.I'm going to try my hand at aluminium brazing some lines once I'm off vacation and back to work.

"Edit"

I've since learned the larger line from the compressor (high pressure vapor line)should be connected to the top of the condenser.
As it cools going through the condenser it turns into high pressure liquid,then into the into the receiver/dryer and then off to the FOT where it gets metered into the Evap. Core.

Last edited by BobbyK; 03-01-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: new info.