The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
41_rat

Wider steelies for my s10 frame

Hey
New to the boards, and I have a question.

I'm currently building a 1941 chevy pick up on an s10 frame. It currently has really narrow rims and tires. I would say the rims are 15x6" maybe even 5". I need new tires anyway, so I figure I'll get wider wheels. I have the red steel rims with the small moon center caps. I would like to maintain this look but with a more aggressive stance. Something like a 16x8 all around. Where can I find steel rims for my truck? Also what specs do they have to be. I have read some threads about back spacing, and I just want to make sure I buy the right size first time around. I am relatively new to the Gm building game and I'm learning more and more every day. I believe my s10 frame is a mid to late 80s frame.

Also if someone could tell me where to find the serial number and how I can find what year my frame actually is that would be great help.
Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
41_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
jhaymon

Re: Wider steelies for my s10 frame

2wd s-10 and Sonoma (other than extreme or zq8)" came with 15x8.5 aluminum or 15x7 steel with a 0 offset (4" backspace) with a 5 on 4 3/4 or 120.65mm lug pattern. a 16X8 with -6 to a +10mm offset is very doable. and thats with the limitations of an s-10 body. i run a 10x16 with a 6" backspace on the back and 8.5x16 with a 5" on front on the back on little s-10 with no issues. I physically lowered mine 3" from factory in the front and im sure that v8 drops it at at-least another inch so you should be fine.

ild imagine with all the room in the 41 wheel wells you could get 10s all the way around as long as you watch your offset.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
41_rat

Ya I was considering 10s but I'm pretty slammed. The reason for just getting seteelies with moon caps for now is so i can run a wide white wall. Eventually I think I want to go with AMerican racing torq thrust II 20x10 rear, 20x8.5 front. So basically I need nothing less than a 4" back space. That's what you are saying.? How do you measure the back space?
Posted via Mobile Device
41_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Wet..Paint

It's very simple, and as you have a 41 truck on a s10 frame, the fender is probably wider than the s10 box was... Im guessing, I am building a 51 chevy on an s10 frame and I fit 15x10 Rallyes with 4" backspace with 15" wide x 31" tall M/T's.

The stock s10 wheels fit waaayyy to far in on my truck. I dont have pictures, but I would have had to run a spacer for sure, or cut the inside box, but again, they were way to far in and looked silly.

You might be able to cut your inside box panel to get a big tire all the way to the leaf spring like I did. You could also buy a wheel spacer to go between the drum and rim if you need it out further than a wheel you can find.

backspace is measured from the wheel bolt face to the back of the wheel. you can find exactly what you need by centering something 10" wide in your wheel well, (like a 10" block of wood, for visual aid) between the inside fender or leaf spring and outside fender, and then measuring to the back of that piece and the drum face. that will center your rim in the wheel well and will allow you the biggest tire, or if you want it closer to the outside fender just use your guide and put it where you want and measure from the back to drum face.

Then you can measure for you biggest size tire by keeping atleast a 1/4" distance from fender edges.

Theres lots of diagrams showing this if you google.

Wet..Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Wet..Paint

Oh ya, check out wheel vintiques they make all kinds of factory replica steel rims, and custom widths and backspacing etc.
Wet..Paint is offline   Reply With Quote