The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Yearn4Classics

1972 Hub n Rotor jambing on install?

Hey guys need some guidance! This is my first attempt at replacing hub and rotors on any 4x4 and its not going so well on my 72 1/2 ton GMC. I got a pair of Raybestos hub and rotor assemplies with new inner and outer wheel bearings. And yes ive packed the bearings and put all new grease in. I tried to go off the specs that ive seen posted on the forum, but its jambing up the rotor preventing it from spinning at 35ft lbs of the inner nut. I did over tighten to set the bearings and retorqued to 35ft lbs.

So i went by feel on the inner nut and placed the lock washer on, linning it up with the nut pin. once i put the outer lock nut to torque (75ft lbs), it jambs the rotor again preventing it from spinning as it should. So i went by feel again on the outside nut and the rotor spun "ok". Then once i put all the inner hub parts in, it greatly affected the "spin" of the rotor!!!!! What the hell is going on?? This happened on both sides but the drivers side didnt jamb up once i put the inner hub parts in.

Ive been on youtube on my cell and cant find anything matching my set up. Please help
Posted via Mobile Device
Yearn4Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
classicundercar

Re: 1972 Hub n Rotor jambing on install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearn4Classics View Post

So i went by feel on the inner nut and placed the lock washer on, linning it up with the nut pin. once i put the outer lock nut to torque (75ft lbs), it jambs the rotor again preventing it from spinning as it should.
Posted via Mobile Device
this seems suspicious, almost like the tang on the washer is not catching on the spindle allowing that inner nut to tighten more.

for what it's worth I just put a raybestos hub/rotor assembly on my truck with no problems.

one side is OK tightened to 35/75? I also did mine to 50/50, not sure where I read that.

Past:
1972 c10 lwb
1969 c10 swb
1977 c10 lwb
more old jeeps than I want to remember!
classicundercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
john
member #16

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but after seating brgs to 35 ft lbs the inner nut has to be backed off approx. a 1/4 turn before the outer nut is torqued.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/solution...gs_English.pdf
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
kwmech

Way too tight, tighten to 35. Make sure the rotor spins, this assures the bearings are seated.... BACK OFF the nut about 1/4 turn or more until you feel like a release on the assy. Turn the socket by hand until the socket just barely stops. Line up the pin with the washer then torque the outer nut.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

I normally crank the locknuts down as I rotate the hub well past hand tight. (35 is probably good) and then BACK THEM RIGHT OFF just to the point that there is no play, and then do them back up hand tight plus a little tap.

There shouldn't be any preload on the bearings!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Yearn4Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Way too tight, tighten to 35. Make sure the rotor spins, this assures the bearings are seated.... BACK OFF the nut about 1/4 turn or more until you feel like a release on the assy. Turn the socket by hand until the socket just barely stops. Line up the pin with the washer then torque the outer nut.
Alright guys, thanks a ton for the advise! Im going to wrench on it in a few, after my morning java boost ofcourse. ill post up the results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yearn4Classics is offline   Reply With Quote