The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Rod Run

E-brake cable w/700r4 question

I'm looking to order my new e-brake cable set-up but I'm not sure which way to go.

They all list kits with TH400 or without. I know that has to do with the cable lengths, but I'm curious what one everyone with a 700 has used?

Thanks and anxiously waiting for everyone's input
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: E-brake cable w/700r4 question

When I installed my 700-R4 I used the factory cables. I didn't change anything. I had a straight drive when I swapped it out. The 700-R4 is just like a 400 turbo just has the overdrive in it. That should work just fine.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Rod Run

Re: E-brake cable w/700r4 question

Thanks for the response. I was kind of leaning that way, but I wanted someone else's input on it too.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
randy.powell

Same here - installed 700R4, no issues with the stock emergency brake cables
71 Cheyenne Super longbed.
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Rod Run

I ordered the onw for the TH400 last night. I hope that's the one you guys are using, because there a two different "factory" cables. One for the TH350 and one for the TH400
Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: E-brake cable w/700r4 question

As I stated mine was fine. I had the one for a 3 speed on the column and it was fine. I had to let all the slack out of the threaded rod under the truck but it works just fine.
I now have a 4L80E in the truck and it is fine to.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Rod Run

Well. the quest goes on. I ordered the intermediate cable last night through Year One and as I said earlier I ordered the one for a TH400, but they didn't have a front cable.

Today I'm trying to place another big order through Classic Industries, for the stuff Year One didn't carry. They have a front cable, but they only carry the one for use with the TH350.

I hate to keep gambling here on different parts, because it could get expensive. Hopefully someone else can chime in with what they have used in this situation. I have been burnt way to many times when I've used the "it should work" advice, without getting solid answers. I'm actually starting to wonder if the intermediate I ordered is going to be the wrong one, after Andy4638 says which one he is using (if he means he had a standard shift tranny before). I've got hundreds of dollars in parts in my garage from time I've gone that route, but I'll lose 75% of the value just from shipping if I send them back

Using factory cables leaves to much to chance if it isn't known which cables were used. I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes. I know one is 69" and one is 71", so I'm wondering if both will work, just with more or less adjustment needed.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want to waste money here. These little cost overruns are starting to add up to much now
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
dennislbrooks

Try -- Rockauto---- for all

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 12-29-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: words
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: E-brake cable w/700r4 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
Well. the quest goes on. I ordered the intermediate cable last night through Year One and as I said earlier I ordered the one for a TH400, but they didn't have a front cable.

Today I'm trying to place another big order through Classic Industries, for the stuff Year One didn't carry. They have a front cable, but they only carry the one for use with the TH350.

I hate to keep gambling here on different parts, because it could get expensive. Hopefully someone else can chime in with what they have used in this situation. I have been burnt way to many times when I've used the "it should work" advice, without getting solid answers. I'm actually starting to wonder if the intermediate I ordered is going to be the wrong one, after Andy4638 says which one he is using (if he means he had a standard shift tranny before). I've got hundreds of dollars in parts in my garage from time I've gone that route, but I'll lose 75% of the value just from shipping if I send them back

Using factory cables leaves to much to chance if it isn't known which cables were used. I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes. I know one is 69" and one is 71", so I'm wondering if both will work, just with more or less adjustment needed.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want to waste money here. These little cost overruns are starting to add up to much now

1971 LWB with 3 on the tree transmission with foot e brake.
I swapped a 305 TPI with 700-R4 transmission in it for about 20 years no isues. $ years ago I installed a 6.0 with 4L80E transmission no issues. Under the truck on drivers side is a threaded rod that the rear cables hook to. Run the nut all the way out and make sure they clear everything thing. Then tighten the nut up enough to set the e brake.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post

1971 LWB with 3 on the tree transmission with foot e brake.
I swapped a 305 TPI with 700-R4 transmission in it for about 20 years no isues. $ years ago I installed a 6.0 with 4L80E transmission no issues. Under the truck on drivers side is a threaded rod that the rear cables hook to. Run the nut all the way out and make sure they clear everything thing. Then tighten the nut up enough to set the e brake.
I guess with that, I'm going to order the non-TH400 cable front cable tonight, eventhough I already ordered the intermediate cable for the TH400 the other day. I hope they work with each other. Worse case scenario if it doesn't work, is I'm out about $100.00 between parts and shipping. Like I said earlier I've already wasted hundreds on wrong parts, so what's another $100.00?

I'm just glad there are people like you on here to help, when an idiot like myself doesn't know what I'm doing
Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Rod Run

Well.....

After a month and a half backorder, I finally got my cable in today and it isn't even close to fitting.

Without even using the side supports (for lack of a better word) that go into the frame, and just trying to use the front cable off the brake assembly and the support rod that is opposite of that under the frame, I'm still about 6" short (at best) of even being able to connect it to the cable (with the double nuts) coming off the brake pedal.

**** like this drives me completely nuts, because my truck didn't originally have one when I bought it and no one had an answer for me when I was asking.

I guess there are only two more options for cables with a coil spring rearend, so I guess I'm now down to a 50-50 shot of possibly ordering the correct one on my next order. I just hate wasting money like this on things that should be simple to do
Old 02-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
geezer#99

Must be somewhere you can get one custom made.
I had one made by a Napa parts store once.
Ask at the parts stores.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Must be somewhere you can get one custom made.
I had one made by a Napa parts store once.
Ask at the parts stores.
That's a great idea!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
geezer#99

If you have no luck there, try a big rig shop. Big trucks have need for custom cables too.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
AussieinNC

There are different cable lengths for different year models, plus different transmission options...

As I dont see an accurate description of what handle or foot mechanism you have installed, all I can offer you is this link to LMC page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=152

Is this a LWB or SWB?

Handle under dash or foot operated e brake?

Six inches is not much...did you think to pull the cable forward to compress the e brake springs inside the drums?

Or have yo alos added rear discs for a hybrid rear cable length?

We can usually help out, but need this basic info to assist...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
There are different cable lengths for different year models, plus different transmission options...

As I dont see an accurate description of what handle or foot mechanism you have installed, all I can offer you is this link to LMC page

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=152

Is this a LWB or SWB?

Handle under dash or foot operated e brake?

Six inches is not much...did you think to pull the cable forward to compress the e brake springs inside the drums?

Or have yo alos added rear discs for a hybrid rear cable length?

We can usually help out, but need this basic info to assist...

Thanks for responsding

My truck is a factory 71 shortbed with rear drums and foot pedal. the only difference from stock is the 700r4 transmission. Even without using those two "hooks" that pull the cable to towards the side of the frame, my cable is way to short.

I would love to be able to buy the proper cable, but instead of wasting more money and shipping costs, I think my best option is going to be to try and get a custom one. I know lots of people have done this, but since they all seemed to have already had a factory cable in their truck, they don't know which one they had, especially with all the possible changes their trucks could have had done over the years.

Usually it's pretty easy to get a quick straight answer on this board, but not this time, even with all these great people trying their best to help.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
AussieinNC

34-3828 from LMC is the correct intermediate cable for your SWB truck.

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: E-brake cable w/700r4 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
Well.....

After a month and a half backorder, I finally got my cable in today and it isn't even close to fitting.

Without even using the side supports (for lack of a better word) that go into the frame, and just trying to use the front cable off the brake assembly and the support rod that is opposite of that under the frame, I'm still about 6" short (at best) of even being able to connect it to the cable (with the double nuts) coming off the brake pedal.

**** like this drives me completely nuts, because my truck didn't originally have one when I bought it and no one had an answer for me when I was asking.

I guess there are only two more options for cables with a coil spring rearend, so I guess I'm now down to a 50-50 shot of possibly ordering the correct one on my next order. I just hate wasting money like this on things that should be simple to do

Sorry to hear that the cable didn't work as you wanted. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work unless there is a difference between a 67 hand cable and a 71 foot cable.
One thing also to look at. Is the cable in the right fire wall hole? If it's not it could make it short. You could even drill a new hole maybe.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #19
Rod Run

[QUOTE=Andy4639;8189806][B]
Sorry to hear that the cable didn't work as you wanted. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work unless there is a difference between a 67 hand cable and a 71 foot cable.
One thing also to look at. Is the cable in the right fire wall hole? If it's not it could make it short. You could even drill a new hole maybe.

It is 100% in the correct hole, even in the correct grommet too, but thanks for your input
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #20
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
34-3828 from LMC is the correct intermediate cable for your SWB truck.

I'm definitely not taking a chance on that one. First off, it doesn't have a length mentioned and secondly it's for 4 wheel drive