The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
cmkruse

Question Help with a couple questions on a 72 w/350

1. How do you remove the bearing and or bearing support in a automatic trans steering column? The bearing is bad and needs replaced.

2. Anyone know a good part number/supplier with the correct pump to carb steel fuel line for a 350 with a Holly carb? I'll try and get a picture of the carb today.
Thanks
Craig
cmkruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
cmkruse

Question Re: Help with a couple questions on a 72 w/350 (Update)

Well I found out how to remove the bearing but I'm still wondering about the fuel line.

Here's a picture of what's on the carb. I think this is what is refered to as a double pumper holley but not sure. I want to get rid of the barbed fitting and use a regular line fitting and a steel line. So if anyone has the same set up I'd like to know where to get the pump to carb fuel line.
Attached Images

Thanks to all the forum gurus for their help past and present.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
FirstOwner69

Re: Help with a couple questions on a 72 w/350

I have a 670 Holley Street Avenger on a GM Performance parts crate 350. It has Vortec heads. I ordered a kit for a 68 Camaro 302 (think that was for a Z28) that came from GM with a Holley and a short water pump. I did have to tweak it a bit. Here's the link www.getdiscbrakes.com/fpc67zz. Pic of it installed is below.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
cmkruse

Arrow Re: Help with a couple questions on a 72 w/350

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I have a 670 Holley Street Avenger on a GM Performance parts crate 350. It has Vortec heads. I ordered a kit for a 68 Camaro 302 (think that was for a Z28) that came from GM with a Holley and a short water pump. I did have to tweak it a bit. Here's the link www.getdiscbrakes.com/fpc67zz. Pic of it installed is below.
Thanks for the response. That's a nice looking installation. I think I'll try and order that from the link you sent. I have a question; Where did you get that goose neck riser. I could use one of those to get over the alternator with my water hose which sits on top the CS130 alt?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkruse View Post
Thanks for the response. That's a nice looking installation. I think I'll try and order that from the link you sent. I have a question; Where did you get that goose neck riser. I could use one of those to get over the alternator with my water hose which sits on top the CS130 alt?
I think I bought the 1" riser under the water neck on eBay. It was tough finding one without ports tapped into it. Here are a couple links, but, since they say "Available with -6AN, -8 AN, or -12AN ports for cylinder head water lines", check to be sure the one you order doesn't have ports if that's what you need. Looks like part #10-2250 should be the one without. If you Google Peterson 10-2250 you'll get other sellers.

Peterson website: http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/engine_cool.html

eBay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/PTR10-2250-P...d0a9c5&vxp=mtr
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
cmkruse

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
cmkruse

Re: Help with fuel line on a 72 w/350 w/holly 4bl carb

Well here's couple pics of the carb. I'm still trying to 1) identify the carb itself. I have found two different listings for fuel lines but not sure which carb I have. I think the numbers were 4150 and 4160. I can't find any numbers on the carb itself. 2) I'd just like to get a line to go from the pump to the existing setup. I'd remove the barbed fitting and just attach the line there. Worst case if I can't buy one is try and make my own if I can determine the size of the tubing.

Well if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images

Last edited by cmkruse; 12-16-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the pictures
Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Gromit

I can weigh in on the carb fuel line (but only to ask the list number of the carb you have)

Here's a photo of where to look - the one in the photo is 3310-3; but that is for a vacuum secondary carb - yours looks like a true double pumper so it'll be slightly different but the number we (your Brothers and Sisters on the board here need) should be in the same location.

Also I tried to attach the quick fuel catalog pdf - 'cause that would help you - but the file size is 10 megs and too big for this site -

Here is a link to it instead:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carb-components/

They have all the parts for holley type carbs and IMO even better than Holley..

Always thought it strange - they are in the exact same city as Holley... Hmmm
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
cmkruse

Gromit, Thanks for the response. I'll look as soon as I can next couple of days but I don't recall seeing any numbers on the carb other than pat pending. Your pic looks like the throttle intake area so I'll check again. I was looking at the body for a number. Thanks for the link also. I'll download it and check it out. I've looked at a bunch of sites and can't believe that no one has just the pump to the carb dual feed fitting.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
geezer#99

No one makes one!
Well someone does!!
You do!
You get to make one from metal tubing. Your auto parts store should have some brake line in 3/8 that is already flared on each end. Find one about the right length and bend one to fit.
You'll need a pipe to flare connector on the carb. Should be a fitting on the fuel pump already.
You also need a tube bender.
Get one at the hardware store like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-bender-3755.html
Buy extra lengths of tubing too. You'll ruin a few in your quest for tubing shaping.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 AM   #11
FirstOwner69

Re: Help with fuel line on a 72 w/350 w/holly 4bl carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkruse View Post
Well here's couple pics of the carb. I'm still trying to 1) identify the carb itself. I have found two different listings for fuel lines but not sure which carb I have. I think the numbers were 4150 and 4160. I can't find any numbers on the carb itself. 2) I'd just like to get a line to go from the pump to the existing setup. I'd remove the barbed fitting and just attach the line there. Worst case if I can't buy one is try and make my own if I can determine the size of the tubing.

Well if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Information on the Holley website indicates that the 4150 carbs have a fuel inlet centerline to centerline spacing of 9-1/2", and the 4160 carbs have a fuel inlet spacing of 8-21/32". That should help I.D. what you have. My Street Avenger carb in post 3 is a 4150. You may also need to change the inverted flare fitting in the fuel inlets to accommodate the size of the fuel line you use to connect the 2 fuel inlets. The fittings are available from Holley. They also have fuel lines like this https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys...s/parts/34-150 for both carbs. You'd probably have to bend your own 3/8" hardline from the pump with these.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
cmkruse

Fiirstowner69, thanks for the information. I have yet to get to the barn to check the carb for numbers. Hopefully today! When I ID the carb I can then see if I need to change out the existing dual fuel line arrangement the PO put on there or try and make it work like Geezer says and make a line from scratch. Any way I'll let you know as soon as I can get the numbers or measure the inlet spacing.

Thanks Guys. I'll getter done eventually!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
davepl

As a swag, try the 1967 427/425 fuel line - I'm thinking it might not have the big filter inline. If you don't mind the filter, 396/375 Camaro ('69) should also fit. Most sell it with the splitter block and little end lines for the carb.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
cmkruse

UPDATE: I still haven't got back to the truck to check for numbers but thanks for the info on the fuel line. I'll poke around the website and see if looks plausible.

Craig

Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Gromit

I'm definitely no expert but when I look at the carb in your photo it looks to me like a 4160 vacuum secondary carb to which the previous owner appears to have added a 4150 (double pumper) type secondary metering block...(which is at least 1/2" thicker than the one it replaced)..

They would have maybe done this in order to have control over jetting..

Just a theory but that would explain why they would have cut the perfectly good existing fuel rail (to make it a little longer to accommodate the extra length of the metering block).

That is all just speculation though but it gives you something to think about..

Here is the fuel rail I'd suggest (please see attached photo)

But make sure your dimensions are right first..
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
cmkruse

Okay, I finally made it back over to the truck to check the numbers that GROMIT asked about. The number is LIST 3310-3 and under it is 300B. So what do I have? Any help appreciated. I'm an electrical type guy and this stuff is a bit foreign to me! the spacing of 9 1/2 or 8 21/32 is so close I can't tell without taking the fuel rail thing off which is what I will have to do next I guess. Anyway, I'll google these numbers and see what turns up.

Last edited by cmkruse; 12-23-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
geezer#99

It's a 750 vac secondary.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
Gromit

Here is the one I think would try if I was trying to fit your carb, even though Summit's database says it is for a 4150:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...06-n/overview/

It shows the center to center distance as 9.5 Inches.

You'll need to check the sizes on your fittings too; the -6AN is more common but possible the previous owner has -8 AN in there.

The thing is; yours is a 4160 vacuum secondary; but if you order the fuel rail for a 4160 it won't fit; because (I think) usually a 4160 has a metering plate and your clearly has the thicker secondary metering block.

I would guess yours had a conversion kit added (like in the attached photo); but it is possible that my thinking is wrong and maybe all the 750's came with a secondary metering block instead of the much thinner metering plate?

Anyway; it is important because the metering block changes the distance between the two fuel inlets; and they have to be exactly right or you won't be able to attach or tighten the fittings.

If you have a set of calipers or a good metal ruler that will measure tenths of an inch accurately you can try and measure yours to make sure before you order.

Here is the one Summit shows for a 4160:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220101n/overview/

But notice it gives the center to center distance as 8.8 inches; and says it will not fit the 4150 type double pumpers..

One last important thing I can suggest if you are new to Holley's - notice the 7/8-20 internal threads where the inlets attach to the fuel bowl is made out of zinc (not aluminum) - if you strip them you have to buy new fuel bowls and they are easy to strip and a disaster if they are already stripped and you don't notice..

There are lots of people who know way more than me here about these carbs hopefully someone will chime in if I said anything inaccurate.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Holley_Carb_Data_Specs.pdf (182.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf Holley_torquespec.pdf (96.1 KB, 271 views)
File Type: pdf Holley_4160_Adjustments.pdf (131.6 KB, 33 views)