The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
hotwls13

Windshield install + dash + trim questions

My windshield was trashed. Just pulled it and this is how my area around the windshield looks. Mine had the stainless trim. I was able to save both the trim and the seal/rubber. I plan to go with the "no trim" rubber though. My dash is a bit rough. Looks like I need at least one vent cover. Looks like truckandcarshop.com has the vent covers in black or chrome. Anyone used those vent covers? Are the chrome ones metal? Is my dash pad worth saving?? I don’t care about it being correct, just want it to look clean. Not sure one of the black caps would fit over mine the way it sits. Lastly, I plan to paint both the dash and around the windshield (and probably the top of cab). Cab will be satin white, dash will be the satin Sea Glass (green color similar to original). The rest of the interior metal will be satin white.

Any tips or “you should do this while the windshield is out” kind of things is appreciated.

Last edited by hotwls13; 05-29-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Need to be a premium member to sell.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
hotwls13

Re: Windshield install + dash + trim questions

Pics
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you can sandblast around the windshield opening that would be the best bet. Then you can replace any rusted out metal. Be sure and check around the inside behind the visors to make sure it isn't rusted out there. If you have any bubbles in the paint inside, there will probably be some pinhole rust in it..... I doubt that you can save the dash pad.

You have to be a premium member to buy or sell parts on the board. If you see something for sale in the classifieds you can buy it but you can't post a "Want to Sell" "Want to Buy", "Want to Trade", or "Whats it Worth" unless you are a paying member. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain all of the membership options.....

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
If you can sandblast around the windshield opening that would be the best bet. Then you can replace any rusted out metal. Be sure and check around the inside behind the visors to make sure it isn't rusted out there. If you have any bubbles in the paint inside, there will probably be some pinhole rust in it..... I doubt that you can save the dash pad.

You have to be a premium member to buy or sell parts on the board. If you see something for sale in the classifieds you can buy it but you can't post a "Want to Sell" "Want to Buy", "Want to Trade", or "Whats it Worth" unless you are a paying member. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain all of the membership options.....

Thanks,
LockDoc
Thanks LockDoc, I am now a premium member and will only post classified stuff where they belong.

As for sandblasting, that's not an option. Gonna use a wire wheel and maybe a DA sander or flap wheel on angle grinder to clean things up.

This is a driver truck that is being done 100% by me on a budget (though I'm having windshield installed by a pro). This truck won't be done "right" but it will be better than I found it. It will live it's time with me under a carport in Bakersfield, CA (so not a lot of rain in a very dry climate).

So if the dash pad isn't worth saving, a couple questions:

1. How do I get it off?

2. What's my cheapest option for a replacement?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
notsolo

I have the chrome vents, they are plastic....I would go with regular plastic and scuff them up and paint them to match. Chrome looks odd IMO...Also a good time to paint the top of the dash....Flat color is best,.....dash pad has 5 or so tin nuts up under, a little hard to get to.....Also about 4 screws through front.....Car and Truck shop should have dash pads...I think I followed Leon (LocDoc) advise and reused rubber windshield gasket, it was in good shape, cleaned with soap and water, treated with Wintergreen oil and Xleen. If the Chrome trim is nice you should consider reusing it..

Last edited by notsolo; 05-29-2018 at 11:57 AM.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I have the chrome vents, they are plastic....I would go with regular plastic and scuff them up and paint them to match. Chrome looks odd IMO...Also a good time to paint the top of the dash....Flat color is best,.....dash pad has 5 or so tin nuts up under, a little hard to get to.....Also about 4 screws through front.....Car and Truck shop should have dash pads...I think I followed Leon (LocDoc) advise and reused rubber windshield gasket, it was in good shape, cleaned with soap and water, treated with Wintergreen oil and Xleen. If the Chrome trim is nice you should consider reusing it..
Cool thanks for that info. I thought the “chrome” ones were plastic. I’ll just get the black ones then and paint them.

I’ll start working on getting the dash pad off also.

I was able to keep/preserve the original gasket and the stainless is in good original shape (faded and would need polishing). I don’t want to deal with the possible headaches of the windshield guy putting the trim back in. Plus I like the look without the trim better.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
hotwls13

Another question...

The colors i'm going with on this truck is a Satin sea glass (seafoam green) for the main color and Satin White for the Cab top and interior.

It looks to me that the original color of this truck would have been the green and white (interior is white, dash and dashpad is green and also door panels/steering wheel and column are green). I'm not going "original" but I was planning on keeping original color on the door panels/steering wheel/column. At least for now. I may change the color on those later.

So, after all that, since I plan to paint the rest of the interior metal Satin WHite (it is white now), should I paint the top of dash (behind dashpad) white or sea glass green? It's currently painted the original green with green pad (I'll be using a new black pad).
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
hotwls13

So thinking the green was original color of outside (and maybe inside?) of truck?? Dash is matte green, white interior and exterior but it looks to me like the exterior was repainted white a couple times. No outside green to be found. ???

I’ll post pics later, for some reason I always have problems posting pics from my iPhone. Ugh
Old 06-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
CC69Rat

You want to sell your windshield trim?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
You want to sell your windshield trim?
Feel free to message me about it. Don’t want my thread getting locked.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
hotwls13

Pics....
Attached Images