The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #2476
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Allan keep focused on your truck, and the depression will go away, at least temporally. You need to stay busy at some thing to take your mind off what is depressing you. It might as well be your truck. Kick that depression atta here.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #2477
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

I wish I could do that, but I dont have all the stuff nor the money to finish mine right now.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #2478
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Hey Alan ,Remember we are all pulling for you.
I get bad mood swings in the winter. SADD. Seasonal attitude disorder or something close. It goes away when the sun and spring time returns . I use a sunlamp when I am at the computer in the winter which seems to help. I find things that make me happy and just do it even if it is silly
My doc says that testosterone levels go down as men get older and that can affect moods . And the sun lamp helps the serotonin in the brain. Had a check-up lately?
It really bites to get older..everything is wearing out and I am just turning 49.-- hang in there!! bubba
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #2479
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Heck i'm only 28 and feel like i'm 60.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #2480
cl08

Quote:
Thanks Man, for taking the time to read my build. It's worth all the work and time it takes to document all of my steps when people like yourself can get something out of it. Your comments came at a great time. I've been down in the dumps for a few days. Your comments picked me up some. Depression is a lonely Bit*h. I won't be there long I hope. I can't stand it. It's very unproductive.
Chief, I know the feeling. I have not even worked a project in over 6 years (VW beetle). That to me is depressing in its self. I have been a car nut my whole life. I eat sleep drink the automotive world. I want to build a truck so bad. Maybe one day......

Keep up the work, I will be reading on.
cl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #2481
Vernski

Hi Allen just wanted you to know that IMHO your build thread is the best,and has inspired me and I'm sure allot of us Truckies to hang in there an keep going on there projects. Not only the great pictures, also a wealth of info on how to get things done and done right. If I ever get mine done you will always be a part of it for sure and thank you for that....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #2482
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
I hear you there Alan, going to the box so many times has screwed me up. I'm being put out for PTSD and my back know.
Hope it all goes well and they take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Allan keep focused on your truck, and the depression will go away, at least temporally. You need to stay busy at some thing to take your mind off what is depressing you. It might as well be your truck. Kick that depression atta here. josh:
I hear ya. I get sad sometimes when I think of all the money it will take to get the truck on the road. Can't pay the bills as it is with the tiny checks I've been bringing home. A good paying side job would help out tremendously right now.

Quote:
I wish I could do that, but I dont have all the stuff nor the money to finish mine right now.
I hear ya brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Hey Alan ,Remember we are all pulling for you.
I get bad mood swings in the winter. SADD. Seasonal attitude disorder or something close. It goes away when the sun and spring time returns . I use a sunlamp when I am at the computer in the winter which seems to help. I find things that make me happy and just do it even if it is silly
My doc says that testosterone levels go down as men get older and that can affect moods . And the sun lamp helps the serotonin in the brain. Had a check-up lately?
It really bites to get older..everything is wearing out and I am just turning 49.-- hang in there!! bubba mm:
It's not SADD now it's MADD "Money Account Drained Down"

Quote:
Heck i'm only 28 and feel like i'm 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl08 View Post
Chief, I know the feeling. I have not even worked a project in over 6 years (VW beetle). That to me is depressing in its self. I have been a car nut my whole life. I eat sleep drink the automotive world. I want to build a truck so bad. Maybe one day......

Keep up the work, I will be reading on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Hi Allen just wanted you to know that IMHO your build thread is the best,and has inspired me and I'm sure allot of us Truckies to hang in there an keep going on there projects. Not only the great pictures, also a wealth of info on how to get things done and done right. If I ever get mine done you will always be a part of it for sure and thank you for that....Vernski:metal
Thanks Vernski!!

The fuel door is ticking me off. The door install is OK, but the bedside was lumpy to start with and the welding aggravated it. I've been chasing highs and low spots. I don't have my shrinking hammer at home. I'm not very good at shrinking yet. I've done some but need more practice.

First I tried putting some pressure out at the fuel door while drawing the wheel arch in with a rachet strap, while I welded the rest of the fuel pocket up. It didn't help.

The profile looks good until I put a straight edge on it.

This is the high spot was was chasing around. Had some tin canning going on. You can see some heat spots where I tried to heat shrink some by quenching it. It helped with the tin can some.

I cut slits in the BS to remove the tension on the metal. I got it tacked to gether and it helped a lot. Still not the way I want it, but it might stay that way.

Storms rolling in time to get off the computer.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #2483
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Do you have a pin pull gun at home?
the bodyman I used to work with would use his pin pull gun on high spots to shrink them.
we welded in some flush mount door handles on a firebird, and I bet he put 50 shrinks in a 4X7 area..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #2484
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I've been working on my truck this past week. I needed to finish the drip rail shaving and flaring. I ground some paint off the roof and found an inch of bondo. I ground it off, and started to shrink it. My friend that owns a Body Shop and is a master in metal work gave me some tips on shrinking. He said don't get it cherry red, and start from the inside of where the low spot is. Then spot cool it a little at a time. It seemed to work and took some time. Now it's only about a quarter of an inch low in only one spot. I think it OK for Bondo now. I'm impatient. My friend said he'll come up and give me a lesson. I'm going to hold him to it.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #2485
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I gave him a FORD tailgate that I was installing on a FORD bed that was on a Chevy Truck. He shrunk the FORD raised lettering to a flat panel. He blew me away. It looked like he replaced it with a new metal panel.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 04-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #2486
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
Do you have a pin pull gun at home?
the bodyman I used to work with would use his pin pull gun on high spots to shrink them.
we welded in some flush mount door handles on a firebird, and I bet he put 50 shrinks in a 4X7 area..
Mine is at work and it does seem to work good as long as you know what to do. I guess I need to practice and get on youtube to see how people do it. I've had 3-4 people show me and each one had a different wayof doing it. Like body work I've seen different ways people do things and adapt it to my style. I just don't do enough metal shrinking to get good at it.

Quote:
I've been working on my truck this past week. I needed to finish the drip rail shaving and flaring. I ground some paint off the roof and found an inch of bondo. I ground it off, and started to shrink it. My friend that owns a Body Shop and is a master in metal work gave me some tips on shrinking. He said don't get it cherry red, and start from the inside of where the low spot is. Then spot cool it a little at a time. It seemed to work and took some time. Now it's only about a quarter of an inch low in only one spot. I think it OK for Bondo now. I'm impatient. My friend said he'll come up and give me a lesson. I'm going to hold him to it.
I might need to fly out for that lesson.

Quote:
I gave him a FORD tailgate that I was installing on a FORD bed that was on a Chevy Truck. He shrunk the FORD raised lettering to a flat panel. He blew me away. It looked like he replaced it with a new metal panel.
Got any pics of that. Maybe you could video it if he schools you.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 04-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #2487
Strodder
Daring to be Different

That's a good idea. He's always in a hurry though. If he does, I'll try to do a video.
Or you could fly out.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 04-24-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #2488
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Sunchaser Tools. Shrinking Disk. Has anyone tried it. He offered a 3 day course for working metal. If you can't get it the first time your invited back till you do. He was booked unfortunately when I had a layover in Ca. couple a years back.
http://64.78.59.162/merchant.mvc?Scr...tore_Code=STOS

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 04-25-2010 at 05:36 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #2489
tommys66

Alan, every time I catch up on your thread, you add weeks to my build! I wasn't going to use a fuel door in the bedside, but I like how yours turned out so now I might cut one in too. Exceptional work once again!

I am glad to see you keep your head straight when you get bummed out. much better to go to the shop and do nothing if you have to, than turn to the bottle or a fake fix, keep it up man your truly an inspiration...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #2490
Bkndsdl

Alan, looking good! I have a question; on your patch panels, what are you using to sand the weld seams down? I'm getting ready to tackle patch panels soon, and need all the help I can get!
Dirty Dan - '80 Short Fleet
Bkndsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #2491
EVLPMKN

Alan,

It has taken me a long time to finally get to the end of your thread. I love all of the detailed information you are providing. So many times while I have been reading I remember having the same if not similar problems to tackle. That is one aspect of building I have enjoyed the most is the problem solving. Sometimes trying three to four different things before you get it right.

I hope knowing that we are all truly enjoying your thread will help keep you excited and motivated to work on your truck.

As I read through your thread I was so sorry to hear about your dad and I have kept you and your family in my preyer's. I lost my Grandpa in November which is one reason I have not spent much time on the forum since I joined. I spent all of my free time this winter helping my parents get my Grandmas' house in order so she could move into my parents house before the Arizona heat arrives.

One thing I did get from my Grandpa was his '66 Ford (excuse the bad language) one-ton truck that he bought new in 66. This helped me deal with his loss knowing I will always have this truck that he loved so much. Now, I have to figure out what kind of build it should be.

Hope this reply was not too long. I wanted to chime in many times while reading but it took me months to get through this thread with the little time I have had lately.

Michael

1965 C10 Long Bed Fleet Side
1963 Falcon Convertable
1998 Mustang (1st new car, still my daily driver)
2008 SRT4
1966 Ford one-ton work truck (from Grandpa - orgional owner)
EVLPMKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #2492
Alan's Classic

Quote:
That's a good idea. He's always in a hurry though. If he does, I'll try to do a video.
Or you could fly out.
I've got some vacation coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
Sunchaser Tools. Shrinking Disk. Has anyone tried it. He offered a 3 day course for working metal. If you can't get it the first time your invited back till you do. He was booked unfortunately when I had a layover in Ca. couple a years back.
http://64.78.59.162/merchant.mvc?Scr...tore_Code=STOS
I would like to try one of those. Thanks for the link. I've seen videos of it being used, but there is nothing like seeing it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys66 View Post
Alan, every time I catch up on your thread, you add weeks to my build! I wasn't going to use a fuel door in the bedside, but I like how yours turned out so now I might cut one in too. Exceptional work once again!

I am glad to see you keep your head straight when you get bummed out. much better to go to the shop and do nothing if you have to, than turn to the bottle or a fake fix, keep it up man your truly an inspiration...
Sorry for creating more work for you. Don't send any hate mail if it doesn't flow right. It hasn't been tested yet.

Thanks for the comments. It's hard sometimes to stay focused, but so is getting up and going to work at times. We get up and get the job done anyway. One thing I'm proud of is that it's been over 3.5 years since my last beer. It's too the point now I don't even think about it. It's a good thing cause I couldn't afford it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl View Post
Alan, looking good! I have a question; on your patch panels, what are you using to sand the weld seams down? I'm getting ready to tackle patch panels soon, and need all the help I can get!
Here are some weapons of destruction. I use the 1991 (in left of picture) to grind the weld down almost even with the sheet metal. The I use the 1407 36 grit the finish it out prior to filler. BTW thanks for the comments.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #2493
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLPMKN View Post
Alan,

It has taken me a long time to finally get to the end of your thread. I love all of the detailed information you are providing. So many times while I have been reading I remember having the same if not similar problems to tackle. That is one aspect of building I have enjoyed the most is the problem solving. Sometimes trying three to four different things before you get it right.

I hope knowing that we are all truly enjoying your thread will help keep you excited and motivated to work on your truck.

As I read through your thread I was so sorry to hear about your dad and I have kept you and your family in my preyer's. I lost my Grandpa in November which is one reason I have not spent much time on the forum since I joined. I spent all of my free time this winter helping my parents get my Grandmas' house in order so she could move into my parents house before the Arizona heat arrives.

One thing I did get from my Grandpa was his '66 Ford (excuse the bad language) one-ton truck that he bought new in 66. This helped me deal with his loss knowing I will always have this truck that he loved so much. Now, I have to figure out what kind of build it should be.

Hope this reply was not too long. I wanted to chime in many times while reading but it took me months to get through this thread with the little time I have had lately.

Michael
Thanks Michael for the prayers. I'm also sorry to hear about your Grandpa. If you do anything to your Grandpa's truck post it up in the altenate tinkering forum here on the board so we can watch.

God Bless!!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #2494
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Progress is progress Alan.. Im sure you will figure out the shrinking issue. thanks for posting the wheels and rolocs you use. keep at it my friend!

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #2495
Bkndsdl

Quote:
Here are some weapons of destruction. I use the 1991 (in left of picture) to grind the weld down almost even with the sheet metal. The I use the 1407 36 grit the finish it out prior to filler. BTW thanks for the comments.
Thanks, Alan! How do you grind the weld down, with the grinding wheel 90 degrees to the weld, on the edge of the wheel or does it matter? Also, how and what is your 1407 grinding pads attaching to? As you can tell I am a greenhorn to the tools of the trade.........
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #2496
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

[QUOTE=Bkndsdl;3943274]Thanks, Alan! How do you grind the weld down, with the grinding wheel 90 degrees to the weld, on the edge of the wheel or does it matter? Also, how and what is your 1407 grinding pads attaching to? As you can tell I am a greenhorn to the tools of the trade.........[/QUOTE]

They are called Roloc Mandrels.... the 1407 are roloc discs so they screw onto the mandrel via a plastic nub.
Attached Images

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #2497
Bkndsdl

Talking Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
They are called Roloc Mandrels.... the 1407 are roloc discs so they screw onto the mandrel via a plastic nub.

Ok, so what does the mandrel fit into? It looks like it'll fit into a drill, but I know that's probably not what's used in the industry......

Sorry, like I said - green, green, green...........
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #2498
Strodder
Daring to be Different

You put them in a angled die grinder.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #2499
Bkndsdl

thanks guys........sorry for hijacking, Alan.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #2500
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I wouldn't call it hijacking. We are all here to help.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE: