The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Question Dana 44 (front) fill hole Q

Well, I ruined the fill plug trying to remove it, and ended up buying a junkyard cover so I can change fluid. But the fill hole on the newer cover is about 1/2" higher than my old original. Called the yard about returning it and was told there was an oiling problem with some early Dana 44s so they raised the hole for extra oiling capacity, and I should just go with the newer cover. Makes sense, but I Googled it anyway, and so far haven't found any verification.

Has anyone heard of this? Or was I fed a line....?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
b454rat

Re: Dana 44 (front) fill hole Q

Never heard that but wasn't into trucks back then. But I know that Fords used a different one cause of the tie rod would hit the plug, but run it, it be fine.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dana 44 (front) fill hole Q

No, but shouldn't hurt. I don't see a '72 as being an early Dana44, though, and never known of any failures due to poor lubrication. But many these days only know the Dana44 as what comes in a Jeep Rubicon. The Dana44 was used in the rear of many vehicles, so constant use with no failures. Still not a bad idea.

What I don't like is this finned aluminum cover I'm about to order (though hesitant). They put a "fill" hole in it on the side, which is nice. But, they also put a drain plug in the bottom. I guess they think they are kicking it up a notch providing a convenience. But, I see absolutely no use for a drain plug and see it as a minus. First of all, when it's time to drain fluid you want to pull the cover anyway. You want to use the chance to inspect the condition and mostly...drain any crap out and clean. That stuff won't all come out the hole and you'll never see what you left behind. It's really easy to remove and install a cover. Reason #2 is the drain plug is in the most vulnerable spot it could be for damage passing over object, such as rocks. Not a very good combo if you think about it. I just bought a used aluminum Dana60 cover for the rear and it only has the side fill hole. On the bottom where the drain would be on these other ones, the cover is gouged out from going over a rock or something.

Didn't mean to side track, but I'm in differential cover mode right now. I decided to run these covers to compliment the vintage 4wd look with the aluminum slots. It was time to drain housings and fill with fresh anyway (and thinking about popping a posi I have up front)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote