The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
WyattTX

Why do people ignore square bodies?

In notice people speak highly the 67-72, and GMT400. But the square body is just talked about like it is just another truck. Other than that dumb government, and media frenzy over the "side saddle" gas tanks, what is really wrong with these trucks? Mechanically, it seems just as good, if not better than its predecessor. If you count the EFI trucks made in '86 and '87 they might have a fighting chance against the gmt400. Could someone explain the square discrimination? Thanks.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Why do people ignore square bodies?

until recently they were a dime a dozen, lately they are becoming scarcer forgood OEM parts and the value and desirability will become greater... patience grasshopper

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

different parts of the country I guess but around here the squares rule..there's still a lot of them on the road still being used a "trucks" and are highly sought after for customizing...went to a small local show here last weekend and there were about a dozen squares there..for overall desirability the 67-72s still rule I think..hardly anyone gives a gmt400 a passing glance around here
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

No discrimination here! with a lot of the 67-72 trucks getting scarce and pricier the 73-87 squarebodies are getting a lot more attention
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
Why do people ignore square bodies?
I don't know that they do.

I could hardly put gas in mine without someone wanting to come over and talk to me about it.

Mine has PS/PB, A/C, overdrive trans, disc brakes - to me it is a thoroughly modern truck wrapped in vintage sheet metal.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Mattchu60

They made a TON of these trucks - they were everywhere - so the value has probably got a upper limit as they are not scare.

That said, values are rising, when I got mine 5 years ago it was in nice shape - no rust and recent tires and paint. Got for $5k at the time and there were more to pick from. Now the ones in nice shape are going for more than $10k and restored ones are going over $15k. I think people are starting to move on from the 67-72 generation and the 73-87 is starting to get more popular (people are getting older, so the cars they grew up with and are looking for now are changing to stuff from the 70s and 80s. I think the 80's camaros will be a hot item at some point, just my thoughts.

Everywhere I go with mine I get looks and it draws attention, I'll never win any car shows with it, but its fun to drive, looks cool and serves a purpose (it hauls things). Plus they are super easy to work on vs a new car.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
shp4man

I wouldn't mind having a mid 70's short stepper. It's a nice looking little truck.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
Bobzilla75

Around us, they've almost all returned to their natural elements. There are very few even in the scrap yards at this point.
Bobzilla75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
RDrancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I don't know that they do.

I could hardly put gas in mine without someone wanting to come over and talk to me about it.

Mine has PS/PB, A/C, overdrive trans, disc brakes - to me it is a thoroughly modern truck wrapped in vintage sheet metal.

K
This ^^.

A lot of thumbs up and nods too, even where we live out in the sticks. The other day I had a 16-17 year old ranch kid getting in his farm truck give me a "that's cool". Nice that there are still some young ones that know what cool is.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
RedBed

They get attention from me for sure! But yea, there were a LOT of them made.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Bloodhound

All in due time. As stated, they were made for a looong time and they made a lot of them.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
WyattTX

I love them for the fact, they were some of the last of their kind, which was big sheetmetal,push button doors, and glass headlights. The gmt400 was the entrance to the Tupperware age. Ford, and Chrysler tried to avoid the Tupperware transition, a little longer by making slower, and more subtle changes to their pickups. But by the end of the '90s they had succumbed to the Tupperware influence.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
Dead Parrot

When the side saddle tank thing happened, someone pulled records on how many were still on the road. I don't remember the number they got, but even GM was surprised at how many millions were still running. Not only did we start with a very large number of trucks, they have held up well through the years.

BTW - mine got noticed by the Lowes loading crew who were happy they could get the load of drywall to fit completely in the bed. So many of the newer trucks are crew cab short beds.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've never heard the term tupperware trucks...sadly it does seem to fit
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
ranger danger

In my part of the country, its because of smog regulations. Only the 73, 74 and 75 are exempt. After that your stuck with the government telling you what you can and cant do.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #16
100%Chevy

I have about 10,73/89 Chevy trucks,and I'd rather drive them than any of the newer stuff!
I also have a few 60/66 and 3,67/72 trucks.
And,a nearly new 95,K-3500 dually,with all the extras.It has 73,000 miles on it now!
I still drive this the most.because I can throw stuff in it,at it and on it.Plus I can reach over the sides!Can't say that about the newer trucks with the super high beds.
And,the best thing about them is I have no payments!Low insurance,low maintenance and cheap parts.
Yes,it's ugly,but,of them all,it's my favorite.

Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
When the side saddle tank thing happened, someone pulled records on how many were still on the road. I don't remember the number they got, but even GM was surprised at how many millions were still running. Not only did we start with a very large number of trucks, they have held up well through the years.

BTW - mine got noticed by the Lowes loading crew who were happy they could get the load of drywall to fit completely in the bed. So many of the newer trucks are crew cab short beds.
You are correct, for every '70s or '80s Ford on the road, I see 10 to 15 GM square bodies. For whatever reason they litterally outlasted the competition. It would not surprise me if Ford or Chrysler helped egg on the side saddle controversey, to promote the sell of their own trucks.

Last edited by WyattTX; 05-03-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
beasst

In my area they are very desirable. I looked at one last year, everything worked (ie. factory clock, ac, power windows. etc) Not a straight panel on the truck, cab corners gone, and the guy would not budge off of $3600.
Like above it's rare that I go somewhere in mine and get out that someone doesn't comment on it.
beasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I came out of the parts store a little while ago and there was a guy taking pictures of mine..I just smiled as I drove off..nothing special about my truck from the outside
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #20
Jeff's bowtie's

We were at Cracker Barrel eating this evening and I happened to look out the window to find an older guy giving my 79 C/20 a good looking over
Attached Images

Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
WyattTX

I get looks and points from older folks often. I guess it takes them back. One younger Woman told me she liked my '85 because it reminds her of when she graduated in '86. Nostalgia is a strong seller. That is why yesterday's "junk cars" like the AMC Pacer, and Ford Pinto can fetch decent amounts today. You may have hated the car in youth, but it reminds you of it well. By the way that is a beautiful C20, Jeff.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #22
midniteblues

Had a few 2wd short squares in the past almost all round eye's.
Never had one I didn't like.

In the land of rust they have been bringing a pretty good buck for awhile. Early models are scarce.
Lots of parts around though.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #23
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I have about 10,73/89 Chevy trucks,and I'd rather drive them than any of the newer stuff!
I also have a few 60/66 and 3,67/72 trucks.
And,a nearly new 95,K-3500 dually,with all the extras.It has 73,000 miles on it now!
I still drive this the most.because I can throw stuff in it,at it and on it.Plus I can reach over the sides!Can't say that about the newer trucks with the super high beds.
And,the best thing about them is I have no payments!Low insurance,low maintenance and cheap parts.
Yes,it's ugly,but,of them all,it's my favorite.

Mike.
Like many old work horses, it great ugliness only adds to it's beauty. As it would tell a greater story than show winner, that lives under a tarp all its life.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
In notice people speak highly the 67-72, and GMT400. But the square body is just talked about like it is just another truck. Other than that dumb government, and media frenzy over the "side saddle" gas tanks, what is really wrong with these trucks? Mechanically, it seems just as good, if not better than its predecessor. If you count the EFI trucks made in '86 and '87 they might have a fighting chance against the gmt400. Could someone explain the square discrimination? Thanks.
I don't know why you say what you do. The 67-72s got a head start and have always had a following during the 15-18 years these trucks were made. Just here on this site, if you had been checking this forum regularly since you joined you would know just how very popular they are. If you had been looking to buy one you would see how prices have shot up... and if that isn't an indicator of desirability than there's no such thing as desire.

The only thing that hurts them is they begin the year after most street rod clubs and their shows cut off. Fpr cars, '73 meant 5mph bumpers and a noticeable influx of gov't sponsored design...from lowered performance to various safety designs. The trucks carried on from '72 as merely a style change with relatively the same mechanics, till the 700r4 came along, then in '87 the TBI. Added convenience comes from power windows and inside hood latch.

I was talking to the owner of one of the sweetest '84 shortbeds I have ever seen at the gas station yesterday. I've seen it around and at his house. He is probably about 70 and said he's a hot rodder (I knew that). Slammed, satin turquoise, black interior/tonneau cover, 81/82 bumper for turn signals, and 17" slots. One fine clean machine. People who know whaat they like have nothing against these trucks, as do those who don't care what anyone else is doing. Not that there aren't clubs, groups, and many websites whose sole focus is square bodies.

And I always thought Pintos "could look" cool and Pacers still suck!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-03-2017 at 10:53 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #25
shp4man

They're some nice looking trucks.