The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
HarleyStBob

1957 Chevy Truck Sheet Metal Repair

Hello gentleman. I have been searching for a web-site like this one, where owners of task force trucks exchange information, for a long time. I am currently working on a 1957 chevy truck and need to replace the kick panel A pillar, the whole unit, and the inner and outer roof panels. I need to know if anybody has done this before and if so can you point me to the right direction as to where I could actually read or see pictures on this topic. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
HarleyStBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: 1957 Chevy Truck Sheet Metal Repair

Hello and welcome. Well what your asking can and has been done (probley), but I would not advice it for a first time project. I think I would just change the whole cab. It would save alot of time. But in the end it's your truck, and if that is the path you take besure and take lots of pix and let us watch.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Kim57

Welcome to the board.
blackdiesel is right about that being a huge undertaking.
You may find it cheaper in the long run to find a cab in better shape. They are out there if you look hard enough.
And we do like to see pics of what you have.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
OrrieG

In your part of the world it should not be too hard to find a better cab. Keep in mind that the big trucks up to 2 ton or so shared the same cab as the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. 55-2nd series and 56 will also work for you. If you get off by just a little bit windshield and door fitment will be a big problem. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I haven't done an inner roof panel but I did a outer roof and it was easier than it looks.

Here is a write up on what we did.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...forceroof.html

Here are a lot of pictures of what was done to the cab, It was messed up big time.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/media/Rwilliams/

This was the firewall replacement
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c..._Firewall.html

If you decide to start this project and not get a better cab then start fron the corners and work forward to the front pillars. And of course you can always ask questions here if you get stuck on how to proceed

Last edited by dwcsr; 04-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
55metalmonkey

Pics would help BTW,
I'm a big fan of going the hard route and repairing what you have or banging out your own small patch panels but sometimes it's just not worth it.
There are replacement re-pops available and replacing the A-pillar is sort of common, just do a search in this forum, there was one posted a few weeks ago.
When your talking about the inner and outer roof it's a bit of a challenge getting it in perfect, not overly hard to do but cumbersome and it’s a large piece to line up everywhere before you start tacking.... a hair out affects things elsewhere. Just to move it in place and line it up, you would want a few friends to help out, then clamp and mock up everything that depends on the roof seams for a good fit, tack, tear apart and finish weld.
I would say these guys are right with considering a new cab (again pics help with the advice)
Generally if your cab needs the A pillar and roof done there are likely other areas that look like blistered rust you may find need replacement as well, some type of rust work or (like me) you find areas that someone tried a repaired and just covered up some real bad work i.e. cab corners, front edge of floor pan/ fire wall, inner step, cab reinforcing mounts, ect
For the cost of replacement panels and all the work you may be months ahead by finding a good replacement cab.
Then again if you bought it for a challenge and have the time and patience, sometimes repairing is more rewarding.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
Yellow Cheyenne

Thanks dwcsr for the info and pics. Not trying to hyjack the thread, but have the same basic questions.

Along the same lines, if the outer roof skin has a few pin holes at the front and the inner roof skin has quite a bit more rust at the front edge, what is the best way to tackle this? Rest of cab is in pretty decent shape (except cab corners).

I had considered trying to cut the front of the inner roof out, repair the outer as needed, then form a new inner panel. All of the curves up there makes trying to remake the inner panel look pretty difficult. Trying to avoid paying $400 for a repop inner roof, just to cut it up for the front part. Also didn't know if I wanted to replace the entire inner and outer roof panels when most of mine is in pretty decent shape.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
dicer

The main thing will be a proper jig/ fixture to hold and locate the new parts. I plan on building such a thing for my project. As soon as this site makes space for photos I would post some.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I haven't done an inner roof panel but I did a outer roof and it was easier than it looks.

Here is a write up on what we did.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...forceroof.html

Here are a lot of pictures of what was done to the cab, It was messed up big time.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/media/Rwilliams/

This was the firewall replacement
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c..._Firewall.html

If you decide to start this project and not get a better cab then start fron the corners and work forward to the front pillars. And of course you can always ask questions here if you get stuck on how to proceed
Does the new roof panel have the pinch weld piece thats under the front area?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
HarleyStBob

I appriciate all the feed back all of you have given me. It really has helped me to understand the construction of the cab. I will be posting pics of the cab in its current state so that you all can see it. I would do it sooner but I am a high school American History teacher here in Texas and I am getting my students ready for the TAKS Test for April 29. Again thank you everybody especially those of you who have posted pictures-it really has opened up my eyes.

Ray-God Bless.
HarleyStBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Russell Ashley

If you haven't already found out about the LMC Truck catalog, http://www.lmctruck.com/ you might want to look there. Look at the pages that show patch panels for your truck and you can get an exploded view of the panels that make up the cab and their position. It will give you an idea of how the cab is put together and also show what panels are available.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Does the new roof panel have the pinch weld piece thats under the front area?
The inner and outer both have a lip that forms the pinch around the windsheild.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #13
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyStBob View Post
I appriciate all the feed back all of you have given me. It really has helped me to understand the construction of the cab. I will be posting pics of the cab in its current state so that you all can see it. I would do it sooner but I am a high school American History teacher here in Texas and I am getting my students ready for the TAKS Test for April 29. Again thank you everybody especially those of you who have posted pictures-it really has opened up my eyes.

Ray-God Bless.
Wow how nice. You have a great piece of American History there, you should do a nice factory stock restoration. Why? Because first of all it is not easy.
Secondly there are very few of them around, extreamly rare, as you can see by looking through most all of the posts here. But if your going to drive it there are some very minor nonruining of originality upgrades that should be done. Mastercylinder is number one. And number 2 would be some stainless bolts here and there, and washers under some bolts and such that don't have them. Any little upgrades that don't mean drilling a hole or cutting a panel or frame are okay since it is easy to change back to factory correct.
Keep us updated on the progress.

Oh and if you want to understand the construction of the cab, you need the factory assembly manual, as well as all the other manuals for the truck, most all the parts places have them.

Last edited by dicer; 04-07-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
Yellow Cheyenne

An inside and outside photo of what mine looks like (sorry about the poor quality of the outside photo, but its the only one I've got). After talking to a few people, it sounds like replacing the whole top is the best way to properly repair the problem.
Attached Images

'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote