The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
72bigblock

title services

hi all has anyone used a lost title service like broadway title service. i have a truck i need to retitle. came with no title! thanks chirs
72bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Can't you apply for a lost title in IL? That sounds easier to me, but admitedly I've never done it.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Will67

I wanna buy a monte carlo but the people dont have a title...ive never applied for a lost title..what do u have to do..like how much is it..etc..sorry to but in on post
Will67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
ablack

I have no idea how to do it in your states, but I know that in CA it's very easy. I went through it a couple of months ago when I bought my Mini. The seller and I just went into the DMV office (with the vehicle) and they verified the VIN we were claiming was actually on the car, had the seller fill out a statement stating the title was lost and issued a new title in my name. In my case, the vehicle hadn't been registered in 27 years so it wasn't in their system anymore. If it is still in the system, then the owner of record in the system will probably have to fill out a "Duplicate Title Request" form and that and a Bill of Sale will work instead of the actual title.

Alan
Elk Grove, CA
ablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
Will67

Thanks..
Will67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

If you look in the back of Hemmings motor news theres a few firms that will officially title your truck or other pre 74 ( ? ) vehicle in Alabama for a few hundred bucks. They send you the title . You get it transfered to your state and you never ever have to enter the great state of Alabama. Aint that great !
Old 02-03-2003, 11:40 PM   #7
72bigblock

ok here's the deal on mine bought the truck from a guy who had it out by the road didn't run he wanted $1.000 for it i offered him $450. he took it he gave me the title it looked like it matched next day he towed the truck to my house it didn't match truck gs259p744959 title gs2598744751 i say it's a typo. the state says no the guy i got it from and the pepile who had it before him there name is on the title have disappeared chris
Old 02-03-2003, 11:58 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The thing about fileing for a lost title, is whom ever the car/truck is titled to right now, is the one who needs to file for it. If the seller never put it in his name, or never had a title to begin with, then you are up the creek. Otherwise, its as simple as a trip to the DMV and a small fee...15 bucks here last time I had to do it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:02 AM   #9
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I still have all the stuff for a 72 C20 with lots of options. title, glove box door, vin plate. email if interested.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:13 AM   #10
72bigblock

i almost did the vin plate changover found out if you get cught the state will impound the truck by the time you get it back if you get it back at all it maynot be worth anything! chris
Old 02-04-2003, 12:32 AM   #11
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Don't get caught... easier said than done, huh?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:21 AM   #12
jeffbo
D.U.F. Member

Here is what they told me about lost titles in South Dakota. I bought a '68 last summer without a title. I went to the courthouse and asked if I could obtain the title. They did a search and found the last know title holder of the truck. They said the vehicle hadn't been registered since the '80s or something. So they gave me his name and address, and told me I had to write him a certified letter, asking for a bill of sale from him. If the letter was returned to me unopened ( which is the most likely scenario, since the owner is probably deceased, or no longer is at the same address from 1980something), or if I received a bill of sale from him, I could then be issued a new title for the truck. As of now, I still haven't got around to doing it yet, but I hopefully will soon.
I could just imagine a worst case scenario in a situation like this, though. The old title owner could still be alive and upon receiving my letter could come to my house and legally reposses his truck from me, since he is the title holder. He could just take it from me and I would be out what I paid for it. That would suck. I know this is very, very unlikely, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

'72 C-10 LWB Highlander, A/C, tilt TH350 w/ B&M shift kit, 327LJ bored .040", cast flattops, forged crank, L31 Vortecs, 9.25:1 CR, Comp conical valvesprings, Crane Energizer single pattern 216/.454", Professional Products Power Plus Crosswind intake, Edelbrock #1406 600cfm, HEI, dual exhaust, open 3.08 12bolt
'68 C-10 4spd (not running)
'79 C-10 LWB Mild 350
'80 Caprice Classic, 2-dr
'97 GMC K-1500, SWB, Reg. Cab, Z-71, 5.7, Auto
jeffbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:41 AM   #13
jenna's 71
my '71

Isn't there some place that sells the original rivits for our trucks?

In California they only checked my door plate. In hollister Ca. anyway.

We are having the same kind of drama with my hubbie's truck. The Id #'s dont match. The cab plate's last two digites are 95, and the pink slip is 95. But the frame is stamped 94/5 so we are having drama getting it regestered. any ideas?
Attached Images

KEVIN'S 4x4 PROGRESS PIC'S ON THE LINK BELOW.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=41708
jenna's 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:56 AM   #14
ablack

It really does depend on which office you go to and who you talk to here in CA. A friend of mine went to register a '67 Travelall that was "lost title" and the person in the office went as far as to verify all the numbers, took teh time to look in the books to make sure they got it the right year etc, and did a good job. With my Mini, they found the number, but had no idea what year to call it, so they called it a '61 because the guy I bought it from told the lady that he had another with the title and it was a '61 and the body style on both was the same. Well, anyone who remembers and knows the Mini, knows that the style was the same from 1959 when the 1st one came of the line until 2001 when the last one rolled off the line! Also, note that the verification does not have to be done by a DMV employee, but can be done by any law enforcement officer. If you know any CHP/Police/Sheriffs, they can do the verification, sign the form, then you can just take that form into DMV and not the entire vehicle. Unfortunately in your case, it does sound like your only option is to get it verified while they don't look at the frame number.

Alan
ablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:18 AM   #15
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Let me add to this.

First, unless it's changed the firms that provide title services do not send you a title from their state. What you get is a bill-of-sale and some paperwork from their state DMV indicating the vehicle is exempt from title requirements. Then armed with that paperwork you can go to your state's DMV and it has to honor the "sellers" state's DMV laws and issue you a title.

Second, before paying for the service, check with your DMV as to what their requirements are for vehicles purchased from a state where they are "exempt" from title requirements. Don't let them tell you they can't title it as each state has to abide by the other's laws otherwise inter-state commerce gets all but impossible. Make sure the title service will supply you with the documents you need.

Third, this option may not even be possible for vehicles whose VIN's do not match and in states where they actually check these things.

I know these things because I have provided this service to several board members in the past as I live in NH which exempts vehicles over 15 years old. Basically I've bought their vehicle and sold it back to them providing a bill-of-sale and a copy of NH's exempt vehicle law. I have required that they go to their state's law enforcement agencies and run the vin first to make sure the vehicle is not stolen, etc as I won't do this if there is any questionable vehicle history.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #16
Bernie

I think that in Illinois you just have present a bill of sale at the Secretary of State's office and explain the situation to them. A friend of mine did this and they were pretty helpful. Just don't make jokes about bribes an former Secs of State.