The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
RAB38

04 tahoe speedo problem

My wife's 04 tahoe has come up with a speedometer problem. when the vehicle is stopped it registers 70 when moving it will peg the speedo. Has any one had this problem, what fixed it? is there a recall on the gauge cluster that any one knows of? Thanks in advance for any help, we are out of our warranty so any fix is on me.
72 Blazer CST 383 stroker roller, fuel inj, t350,NP205, D60 front, 14b rear, detroit locker, 38 x15.50 mtz's, welds, cross over steering, custom cage,Line X Spray in liner, House of Colors Tangelo Pearl Orange
RAB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
bcj67chevy
402 BIG BLOCK

Re: 04 tahoe speedo problem

Its most chances not your gauge, its probably the speed sensor on the tranny.
2001 Chevy impala
bcj67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

that has been a common problem on the pickups. The motor that operates teh speedo is going bad. The cure is a rebuilt cluster. There is not a recall that I know of (yet). To get to go down, turn the key to on, then off. repeat until the speedo needle comes back to "0". it will move about 5 mph or so back down at a time.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
RAB38

ok, I'll try that
Thanks
72 Blazer CST 383 stroker roller, fuel inj, t350,NP205, D60 front, 14b rear, detroit locker, 38 x15.50 mtz's, welds, cross over steering, custom cage,Line X Spray in liner, House of Colors Tangelo Pearl Orange
RAB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
PHAT 53

Yes there is a problem with the gauge clusters on GM cars and trucks from about 1995 and up. As far as I could tell there is no recall. I would add that the problem is not only with GM but most other cars that have electronic dashes. The fix is to have your gauge cluster rebuilt. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado. My gas gauge just went out. Every time I turned on the key the gauge would go about a ¼ of an inch farther clockwise. My shop checked it out with their plug in computer to check codes and do diagnostic check on the truck. During the check the plug in computer cycles the gauges, my gas gauge would not cycle. But the computer said that my gas tank was 45% full of fuel. That told us that the gas gauge was bad. According to the blogs on the Internet the two most common gauges to fail are the speedometer and the gas gauge.

Now we come to the bad news. Through the Chevy dealer here in Tucson it’s about $550.00 to send the gauge cluster off a get it rebuilt. Plus about $100.00 to pull it out and reinstall it. The price was the same at the repair shop that I use. Again according to the blogs on the Internet that’s the common price everywhere.

Now for the not great news, but almost good news. As I searched the Internet for information after about 8 hours I found Tom Jeroski at Mr. Whizard Technical Services (yes I know he has an h in wizard it must be the way they spell it in Canada) www.mrwhizard.com/ Toll Free 1 888 803 8523. Tom does flat rate repairs for most electronic gauge clusters. I sent my gauge cluster Mr. Whizard with his supplied prepaid UPS label, which is covered in this flat rate price. Yes that’s right shipping is covered both ways for UPS ground. The only small problem is that it takes two weeks for the round trip. But again the good news is that the truck will run and drive with out the gauge cluster.

On the Mr. Whizard website you will find instructions on how to remove your gauge cluster. I was able to unsnap the dash trim (one piece) and pull my gauge cluster out (the cluster is held in with four 7 mm screws) and put back the dash part in under15 minutes. It was a snap to say the least. lol

The flat rate for my 2003 Chevy Silverado truck was $169.00 US. Tom lives in Canada so you will see an exchange rate thing on your credit card but it still comes down to $169.00 US. By the way Tom did both my gas gauge motor and my speedometer motor for the one flat rate charge. Tom said he likes to replaces the GM speedometer motor because they fail so often.

I put the gauge cluster in today and it works great. Saved $381.00 to 481.00 depending on whether you do the work yourself or not. Now I can go get that GPS unit I wanted.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Modo Innovations

My wife's 2004 Tahoe had the exact same issues. I talked to the dealer and they said no recall. I found a guy on eBay that does speedo repair. With shipping it was about $140.00 and I took it out on a Sunday and had it back the next Saturday. The vehicle will still run without it, you just ahave a big hole in the dash though.lol
Modo Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote