The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
72tutone

Cargo/Dome issue

So I just had my truck interior painted and I rerouted my wires back up to the dome/cargo position.

Connected orange/white to dome lamp.

Connected other end of white orange to cargo. With end of the connector going to the other side of the switch.

So two orange to cargo lamp switch.

I have no doors on the cab. 20A fuse is not blown. Light in the cargo housing is not blown. I have 12v on orange wire. White wire showing nothing. Flip the switch for the dome, same result. 12v on, white off. No light on the dome and no light on the cargo.
I would think the dome light would be on full since I dont have any doors hitting the switches.

I checked the light switch and made sure there was a star washer for a good ground. I have full lights on dash panel, from that switch, so ground should be good.
I have traced the wires up through the cab and inspected them. There are no cuts, knicks anything.

Any ideas? Am I missing a ground? I hate wiring
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
Daze57

Re: Cargo/Dome issue

i hate to ask this ...but is the lamp good?
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Check your door switches for ground after painting. The white wire is the ground side of the circuit. Check the continuity from it to ground and check the headlight switch to turn on the dome when rotated.
If you have power on the orange wire and nothing on the white wire, then you must not have a ground on the white wire when it is switched by the door switches or the headlight switch.

The cargo light is just switched off the dome ground but I think it's white wire is grounded separately from the dome light so you can turn it on without opening the doors.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
72tutone

Unhappy Re: Cargo/Dome issue

The doors are off the truck. The dome light should be on regardless. I will double check the door switches to make sure they are grounding. For the light switch I have just the star washer. Should I take the paint off for good contact?
Old 07-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
72tutone

*** Update**** I was able to get the dome light to work. I found a cut on one of the door switches.
I ran a continuity test and all is good there.
However, I had a previous slice from the cargo lamp up to the top along the sill panel. Performed a continuity test between the two and it was there. I then performed the same test at the end of the wires, and nothing.
Does old wiring go bad? I checked every inch and no open cracks or anything.