The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
partzpal

Original 67 with docs restoring LS swap

I've started restoring my 67 and plan to sale once completed. I've had the truck well over 10 years and never considered selling but recently bought a business and need $ for upgrades and expansion. Factory options include the CST package, 283 with power-glide trans and dealer installed ac which was missing when I bought the truck. I've got the protecto plate, original sales invoice and other docs the dealer provided when it sold new in Boaz, AL. The guy I bought it from had started a frame off and started the body work(which I thought had been done correct but was badly mistaken}so I picked up where he stopped which I'd see later on was a huge mistake. I painted the truck, polished the trim, installed and covered the buddy seat, added a factory tach and tilt column. The truck has sat in my shop since finishing it and maybe driven a mile. When I decided to sale I notice filler on the bed had started cracking in a few places and rust bubbles on the rt fender beneath the battery and left rocker therefore I decided to disassemble and repair/repaint the truck the right way. When I say the right way I'm referring to replacing the LT rocker with an NOS rocker, welding a patch panel on RT fender, welding up holes on top of both bedsides and correcting the metal work which was half a----- and reason the filler had cracked. After cutting the rocker off and fender rust I noticed bondo had been packed in both which is proof that one should be careful when you choosing a shop. I own a shop and can't tell you how many "butchers" I've seen over the years doing sub standard work so be careful choosing a shop. That said, I'm hoping the truck will sell quicker and bring more $ with an LS son I bought a 5.3 and 4L60 out of an 04 Silverado. I'll have the truck painted next week so I'm trying to round up everything I need to do the swap and set the drive train before I spray it. The only other parts I'm needing are the 2 grill moldings. Mine were pitted and had a few dings so I'm looking for above average moldings but prefer NOS which I haven't been able to locate. I'll post more pics over the next few weeks and take any advice given on the engine tranny swap.
Attached Images

Last edited by partzpal; 03-25-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: need advice on LS swap and provide original docs
partzpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
flashed

Re: 67 to be sold after restroation completed

Someone is goin g to get a really nice truck , wish it could be me . I love Black with Red guts .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
cornerstone

What do you hope to get for it when completed?
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
partzpal

Unsure what the price will be until I decide which engine and tranny I’m going with. I bought a low mile 5.3 yesterday out of a wrecked 2004 Silverado and likely will go with it instead of the 327. The ideal situation would be to sell before we hang the sheet metal and let the new owner decide.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
partzpal

These pics show where I installed the patch panel on the rt fender, bed with epoxy after blasting, lt rocker installed and rust along the top of the rt bedside. I'm almost sure the rust on top of the rt bedside was a result of installing bedrails. I wasn't able to weld 100% of the holes up since the metal had thinned out but got approximately 95% and glassed the remaining holes.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
partzpal

67 dealer invoice & protecto plate

Thought I'd add pics of the original doc's I got with the truck.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
kingNothing

I will be following this build. I worked at the Kilpatrick Chevrolet dealership in Boaz. This was the Cox Motor Co before Gary Kilpatrick bought it. Our parts manager worked for Cox Motor Co. and later Kilpatrick for many years.

Lucas Jackson
kingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
partzpal

I've decided to go with an LS and sell the engine and tranny in the truck. I picked up a 5.3/4l60. I've read thru numerous threads and completely confused myself due to the number of options available therefore I need some direction. I know the answer to my questions is on the site but asking again.....

1.Is there a conversion kit that comes with everything(ecm, mounting, wire harness, headers or good manifolds, cam shaft, radiator, fans, etc) needed from install to turning the key?
2. Economical cam shaft, new or used?
3.Which a/c system is the best bang for the buck.
4. Cheapest route for rear disc and posi rearend.
5. Anyone near Pulaski TN who does the swaps?

I've got the truck ready to paint there than pulling the cab for clean up beneath and paint. The cab was removed some 15 years ago so I don't foresee any hidden issues. Thanks again in advance.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by partzpal View Post
I've decided to go with an LS and sell the engine and tranny in the truck. I picked up a 5.3/4l60. I've read thru numerous threads and completely confused myself due to the number of options available therefore I need some direction. I know the answer to my questions is on the site but asking again.....

1.Is there a conversion kit that comes with everything(ecm, mounting, wire harness, headers or good manifolds, cam shaft, radiator, fans, etc) needed from install to turning the key?
2. Economical cam shaft, new or used?
3.Which a/c system is the best bang for the buck.
4. Cheapest route for rear disc and posi rearend.
5. Anyone near Pulaski TN who does the swaps?

I've got the truck ready to paint there than pulling the cab for clean up beneath and paint. The cab was removed some 15 years ago so I don't foresee any hidden issues. Thanks again in advance.
Great truck! Love it and will be tagging along. My thoughts for what they are worth.

1. Not that I’ve seen. There are probably those that have done enough swaps they could put together their own conversion kit. It seems each builder has their favored vendors,
2. If there is nothing wrong with the 5.3, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock cam. The engines run strong in the trucks they came in. Love the stock 5.3 in my 56.
3. I like Vintage Air.
4. I will defer to someone with more knowledge.
5. Friend of mine here has completed many, though it looks to be 6 hours or so from you. Sending PM with another idea.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
partzpal

I finally got back on my truck last week and finished what repairs were needed to the floor, rear fenders and inner bedsides. Luckily the truck had never been abused or hauled anything heavy so the floor wasn't to hard to straighten but I still spent approximately 50 hrs inside the bed getting it where I was satisfied. If all goes well I plan to paint everything over the next 2 weeks.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
partzpal

Thought I'd post a few pics of my recent progress and parts I've decided to use. I bought most everything needed to get the 5.3 running which I hope to hear within the next 2 weeks. After much research I decided to go with the FITech set up which I bought as a kit. Someone in the past had added a receiver hitch and cut thru the rear support which I've got to relocate to gain enough room(1/2" approximately) so I plan to patch with a plate.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
partzpal

Need advice on throttle cable and cluster.... I bought accessories, computer and dbw pedal with the motor but was told I'd need to use the cable set up with the FITech intake. Is there a aftermarket cable pedal set up sold and if so which brand? I'm sure certain years 1500, Tahoe. Yukon, etc will work and if so which years will? Are there any particular parts I need other than the cable and pedal? Haven't bought the dash cluster yet was waiting to see if I needed a certain cluster to work with the FITech set up and dread shelling out another $$$ but I've came to far to stop now. Is there a cheaper option than the Dakota Digital? Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
Orange71shorty

I like the shot with the 69 camaro peering from behind the wheelwell opening!
Orange71shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #14
partzpal

It's next in line with 6 others behind if I behave, per my wife's standards, and don't go broke which both are possible.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
partzpal

It's next in line with 6 others behind if I behave, per my wife's standards, and don't go broke which both are possible.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
jsmith4115

when do you expect to have this truck finished.
jsmith4115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #17
partzpal

I wish I could give a solid date but anyone, or at least it's been my experience, who's done a frame off restoration knows the possibilities of things that can go wrong are endless but 4 - 6 weeks is my goal. I painted the frame this past week and plan to have the fuel tank and engine/tranny combo installed this week and hopefully running the following week. I ordered a new posi unit which I'll get Wednesday then I can finish up the rear disc conversion this week too. I'll continue to post pics as I move forward.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #18
partzpal

In process of installing the engine and tranny when I noticed the engine appeared to be sitting 2-3 inches to high and likely to hit the trans tunnel. I was test fitting/checking alignment with the engine only as you’ll see no tranny behind the engine. My cab is sitting in 4x4 and once I remove these blocks height will definitely change. The mount kit I bought was a headman 4204. If anyone has ran into this issue please let me know what your fix was. Thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
partzpal

engine mounting pics
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #20
partzpal

I finally found time to put the bed back together and paint the inside. My plan is to use polished stainless hardware so I put just enough fastners in to hold the panels tight enough to align the panels and run seam sealer along the joints.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #21
franken

The front fender cup repair seems pretty sketchy. Looks good otherwise.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #22
partzpal

Thanks for the compliment but I failed to take enough pics of the front panel during the replacement process. As far as the rest of the work looking “pretty good” I can assure you the floor looks as good as the exterior will look. I actually block sanded between each floor rib then went back with a drill bit to clean each spot weld to make sure they weren’t filled with primer. The front panel was spot welded, glued with panel bond and finished with glass. That said, I’m not one to “toot my horn” but I’ve been business for 31 years and done a few restorations along the way. I don’t know what your qualifications are as far as determining quality body work therefore I won’t pass judgment but again appreciate the “pretty good” comment.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #23
jsmith4115

where are the updated pictures ?
jsmith4115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #24
partzpal

Over the past 2 weeks I've installed a new Yukon posi unit and rebuilt the rearend, added rear disc brakes and rear stabilizer bar. Next in line is to weld a patch onto the rear support then I'll be able to mount the tank and fuel system which I hope to finish up in the next 2 weeks or sooner.
Attached Images