The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
skyphix

Re: Round-Eye Lighting Upgrade

My Hella H4 conversion made a massive difference.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Yeah, I had some aiming issues before (my adjuster screw wont stay put in the bucket so the light falls to the ground) but those issues persisted with the H4's and the difference is still remarkable. Quite a bit brighter and with better cut off than my 2009 Honda... and thats without the relay kit and with the bulbs the H4 kit comes with.

I'll probably still do some aux lighting down the road - most likely two driving, two floods... because Maine has a ton of large deer, including the moose kind. That said, I am super happy with the H4 upgrade - probably the biggest bang for the buck improvement that I've done so far... that wasn't my LS swap.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #27
RyanAK

Lights look great. Are they the DOT or E-code Hellas? I have everything organized and hope to put mine in this afternoon if the freezing rain stops!

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #28
Green Monster

You will not be disappointed with the Hella H4 Conversion headlights. From an outward daytime appearance perspective, the Hella H4 conversion looks almost stock during the day but the surface of the glass lens is less convex- almost flat when compared to the sealed beam headlight. You can see the silver reflector inside the lens- if you're really looking for those details.

Silverstar Sealed beam headlights had a short lifespan for me before converting to Hell H4. I went through four Silverstar headlights in a vehicle I only drive occasionally before finally calling it quits on them. Silverstars did not improve lighting output or beam pattern but only changed the color hue.

Hella H4 Conversion
($77.87)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headlight H4 Headlamp Light Bulb Ceramic Socket Plugs Relay Wiring Harness Kit
($18.95)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XH...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two years of using the H4 Halogens, eventually I swapped them out for LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They come with blue and yellow tint with so you can adjust with the color temperature if you prefer a blue-white, white or more of a traditional halogen color but with LED light output.
($79.95)
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 12-18-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #29
RyanAK

Fantastic write up. Thanks for the input. The LEDs are a direct replacement for the H4 halogen bulbs in the Hella housing? Light quality/pattern just as good?

I have relays installed and have about all the parts and pieces to upgrade a few spots, but I do wish I would have went with something like the harness you posted to avoid the two cuts I had to make to the stock harness...

Weather not improving... might could get these in this afternoon if the freezing rain stops...

Old 12-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #30
Green Monster

The H4 Conversions are E4, so they are European style. The most notable difference in the E4 is a sharp cutoff line when the low beam is on.

Below is a photo that I took after install and initial aiming. I've since aimed the headlights slightly lower to account for the 4" lift on my K5.

I was skeptical of putting LEDs in H4 housings for concern of blinding oncoming drivers. However, the Hella H4 - E4 reflector housing, with a sharp low beam cutoff, works properly with a quality correctly designed LED bulb with diodes located in the same location as tungsten filaments.

Hella H4 E4 Low Beam Fitted with LEDs - no color filter installed - prior adjusting lower

Hella H4 E4 High Beam Fitted with LEDs - no filter installed

Last edited by Green Monster; 12-17-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #31
RyanAK

That's a fantastic improvement. Hella good. (see what I did there?) Halogens or LEDs in those last photos?

BTW, your K5 is one of my favorites. Really, very well done.

R

Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #32
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
Fantastic write up. Thanks for the input. The LEDs are a direct replacement for the H4 halogen bulbs in the Hella housing? Light quality/pattern just as good?

I have relays installed and have about all the parts and pieces to upgrade a few spots, but I do wish I would have went with something like the harness you posted to avoid the two cuts I had to make to the stock harness...

Weather not improving... might could get these in this afternoon if the freezing rain stops...
Glad this information is helpful.

The only minor complaint on the light pattern is on high beam. I notice faint crisscross Xs on trees located above the roadway. So faint that it won't show on photos. The light output on high and clarity is still better than anything I've tried. The low beam is flawless though.

The H4 LEDs I posted are a direct replacement for the H4 Halogens in the Hella housing. The only modification required is to remove the rubber seal on the back of the Hella H4 housing where the three prongs from the H4 halogen protrude through the seal. Simply remove the center portion of the seal by cutting the rubber between the prong holes. A sharp utility knife is all you'll need. You'll be left with a hole in the center of the seal about the size of a dime to install between the heatsink and bulb. The H4 LED mentioned in my previous post is designed to rotate for proper beam pattern but this won't be necessary. Conveniently, this design also allows the heatsink to be removed without tools. Then the seal can be installed between the bulb and heatsink. LED bulb and seal can be reassembled and inserted into the Hella H4 housing. The seal works to keep moisture out, as it was originally designed to do. It's almost too simple.

The relay harness from Amazon was a direct fit. Plug and play, no doubt an improvement not matter what your headlight setup is- and best of all, it's cheap at less than $20.

Below is another photo of the Hella H4 Conversion housing. The silver bulb reflector/sheild is more noticeable in this photo. I'm getting used to it and it's a small cosmetic trade off for so much improvement in lighting for not much money when compared to other options.
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 12-17-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #33
Green Monster

Quote:
That's a fantastic improvement. Hella good. (see what I did there?) Halogens or LEDs in those last photos?

BTW, your K5 is one of my favorites. Really, very well done.

R
The photos posted above are with LEDs. You will probably like the halogens that come with the Hella H4 Conversions- I was happy with them. They are a dramatic improvement over the sealed beam headlights.

I was impressed with the Hella H4 halogens in my K5... until purchased a newer F150 that had factory optioned LED headlights. When switching back and forth between vehicles, I realized there was more potential with the lighting on the K5 and decided to do some research and find the correct LEDs.

Let's be honest, these old truck don't stop like new ones. I want as much warning of animals and objects on the road as I can get. The LEDs have help with easily spotting deer now. The reflected light from the eyes of night time creatures is much more intense.

And thank you, I appreciate your compliment on the K5.

Last edited by Green Monster; 12-17-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #34
RyanAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
Let's be honest, these old truck don't stop like new ones. I want as much warning of animals and objects on the road as I can get. The LEDs have help with easily spotting deer now. The reflected light from the eyes of night time creatures is much more intense.

And thank you, I appreciate your compliment on the K5.
^^This. It's a safety thing. The blue/white intense light is an issue for me, but those amber gels might be just the ticket if I go to LEDs. Nifty!

And you're welcome. Easy to compliment a nice rig!

Old 12-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #35
RyanAK

Installed in the freezing rain tonight in the hotel parking lot. Much improved over the sealed beams! Gotta fine-tune the aim a bit... low beams have a definite euro-style cutoff and ‘eyebrow’ up and to the right. High beams are a bright, sort of ‘muddled’ pattern that seems to point back to the left. Curious.... this was while aimed at the wall of the hotel. Highs definitely aim left compared to where the lows point.

On the road the improvement was very noticeable. Gotta perfect the aim, but Hella easily makes good on their claim of 50% brighter lows and 25% on high beam. Pattern and clarity is much better too. Higher output halogen bulbs or LEDs would bring even better improvements.

And other than being quite a bit flatter than sealed beams, they look darn stock.

Hope for some photos tomorrow. I’m pretty happy. Thanks for all the advice.

R

Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #36
Green Monster

Installing headlights in freezing rain and at a hotel- that's dedication.

Thanks for following up. Glad you're happy with the Hellas. It does take a few attempts to get them dialed in and aimed just right but will be a dramatic improvement.

Agreed, the euro style cut on low beam off does take a little getting used to but diligent use of high beams makes the low beam cut off a non-issue.

I look forward to seeing your photos.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #37
RyanAK

Daytime photos. First with sealed beams. Then with the Hella H4 conversion lenses. Nighttime photos later. You know. When it’s dark.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #38
RyanAK

Here’s a neat one from last night in the freezing rain. Hella on passenger side. ‘Power Beam’ sealed beam on driver’s side. Neat!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #39
Green Monster

Looks great! Your headlights have DOT on them whereas mine are E-code. Nice find!

Where did you purchase them from? I'm having a hard time finding those Hella H4 Conversion DOT.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #40
RyanAK

Hella part number 002395301 at Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395301

I also bought ceramic high-temp connectors in the event I'd try +watt H4 halogen bulbs. Something like Philips 55/100 or Osram 80/85s. Good thing. The stock 'tulip'-shaped connector on the harness wouldn't connect to the Hella bulb with the rubber dust boot.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...-994/overview/

Now to finish upgrading the harness and to get the KC Daylighters wired up... Then maybe aux driving lights and/or fogs. Any suggestions on vintage-style driving or fog lights?

Old 12-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #41
RyanAK

Yeah. Pretty good. Still need to fine-tune the aim. Lows then highs.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #42
Green Monster

The light is evenly distributed from left to right across the road, like a flood light. Sealed beams have a tendancy to have hot spot in the center of where they are aimed, similar to a spot light.

Looks stock, yet is a definite improvement.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #43
RyanAK

Wall test. Notice how the highs move up and LEFT from the low beam aim point...
What’s the correct ‘legal and polite’ to aim in this situation? Never noticed a shift in aim point with other headlights...

I like ‘em. And if I ever want to fool around with +wattage or LED bulbs... easy.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #44
Green Monster

Quote:
Wall test. Notice how the highs move up and LEFT from the low beam aim point...
Interesting... I'll check my E-Codes tommorow night. High beams shifting to the left may make sense if you consider where a typical vehicle is located on the US in relation to the road- the right hand side. When located on the right hand side of the road, the high beams are aimed slightly left, which would be the center of a two lane road, to illuminate the entire road therefore both the left and right sides are equally visible.

Your findings do seem odd though. This is just one hypothesis on why the beam pattern would shft on a horizontal plane.

Another consideration...the photo you provided clearly shows the headlight lens is vertical and not tilted and you low beam pattern is parallel with the ground ruling out a misaligned or tilted reflector housing.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong and were intentionally desined to do this. Hella customer support may have an answer.

Last edited by Green Monster; 12-19-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #45
RyanAK

I’m sure I’ll get it figured out. I’d be curious what your E-codes do as far as high/low aim point. The boxes for my DOT lenses say something like “based on European design...”.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #46
Green Monster

The beam pattern on your DOT appear to be similar if not the same as the E Code. The most notable characteristic on both the DOT and E Code is the low beam sharp cut off- a European design. The only notable difference I can see on the DOT is three nipples on the surface of the lense.

I will not be able to test mine for comparison tonight. I anticipate being able to check tomorrow and will provide an update tomorrow eveming.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #47
Green Monster

Here is a photo of low beam projected on a garage door from driver perspective shortly after installation of LEDs in July. Note the same beam pattern with sharp cutoff at the top.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #48
Green Monster

I snapped a few photos this morning. First photo is the low beam, second phot is the high beam and third photo is of low beam. These are Hella H4 conversions E-code with the aformentioned LEDs installed.

I don't notice much, if any, horizontal shift in the beam pattern between low and high beam.
Attached Images