The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

No longer a Blazer Chalet owner

I'm cautious, and hate going below a certain pure cash reserve amount to pay for emergencies like my crazy high insurance deductible, or an exploded engine in my daily driver car, etc. Since restricted weekend access to the ol' camper really was putting the skids on doing serious work to it, combined with skidding income in my mutual funds, an offer of $8500 for it was too good to pass up.

I haven't lost interest in these, I'll keep looking on a near-daily basis for Chalets & GMC Jimmy Casa Grandes on the internet, and still welcome all sightings of 'em from you guys. Mine is going to an especially appreciative home in Indiana, to be kept indoors out of the rain, and away from road salt. Most likely I'll be able to announce something on behalf of the new owner that could be a real surprise to you all, but he's not ready for that yet. Has to do with recycling perfectly good old trucks.....

Future plans call for a more practical 4door SUV like a Nissan Xterra maybe. Who knows, I could find a rarer Casa Grande much later on just to own for sheer collectibleness.

So if you see this one rolling to Lebanon Indiana in the next few days.... yep, that was mine.

Former owner of Chalet #1747. Current caretaker of the very old BlazerChalet.com website.
77blazerchalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: No longer a Blazer Chalet owner

It's a sad day indeed. You have been the bearer of the Chalet torch for so long now. Your going to miss it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Reality is what it is. I was so close to buying a home in Phoenix during the big housing boom on a couple of different occasions, but was outbid each time. Now the irony is that I could buy two homes for the price of one, but the decision to semi-retire two years ago reduced the cash reserves.

A big back yard would have made working on the thing so much easier, as opposed to only hours at a time on weekends at my parents' HOA-controlled neighborhood, with its fierce restrictions about working on vehicles in driveways.

Not to worry too much, I'll continue to be a Chalet nut, just without an actual Chalet for a while.....
Former owner of Chalet #1747. Current caretaker of the very old BlazerChalet.com website.

Last edited by 77blazerchalet; 09-03-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Goog luck with the new find and hope it all works out.
Posted via Mobile Device
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
79gmcclassic

big mistake!

Freshly lowered 5 inches

79gmcclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcclassic View Post
big mistake!
You may be right. Finding just about any variety of 33 year old vehicle in virtually rust free shape with shiny metalflake paint is like winning some small lottery. As dusty and full of pine needles at it was, I saw a jewel when I first looked at it 4 years ago. It sure shined up good. But I've also seen family members and former co-workers in a world of hurt simply because they couldn't raise $5 grand in cash for whatever emergency, so paranoia drove me toward the cash option. Hated to choose that...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
79gmcclassic

im sorry to not know this but whats paranoia?

Freshly lowered 5 inches

79gmcclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcclassic View Post
im sorry to not know this but whats paranoia?
Irrational fear, probably too strong of words there. I'm a pay-as-you-go guy, not one to put any huge amounts on credit cards that I can't pay off by the next month. For example, just today I bought over $300 worth of tires for my car, and tomorrow I'll have new fuel pumps put in it to replace the 10-year old units that are on their last legs. $492, parts & labor. I'll pay off the entire credit card bill next month.

I'm semi-retired, living off dwindling savings. I can fix my car with greater confidence, knowing that if I break a leg, or if the engine blows in the car next week, I can also pay off those bills, too.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77blazerchalet View Post
Irrational fear, probably too strong of words there. I'm a pay-as-you-go guy, not one to put any huge amounts on credit cards that I can't pay off by the next month. For example, just today I bought over $300 worth of tires for my car, and tomorrow I'll have new fuel pumps put in it to replace the 10-year old units that are on their last legs. $492, parts & labor. I'll pay off the entire credit card bill next month.

I'm semi-retired, living off dwindling savings. I can fix my car with greater confidence, knowing that if I break a leg, or if the engine blows in the car next week, I can also pay off those bills, too.
Thats smart, not many of us do that..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Hulk Will Smash

So that's what that is... There's a Chalet that lives about three quarters of a mile down the street from me. I'll try and grab a picture next time I think of it.

It's 11 PM, do you know where your IAC pintle is?
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Will Smash View Post
..There's a Chalet that lives about three quarters of a mile down the street from me. I'll try and grab a picture..
Always grateful for such sightings - somebody told me about one in Huntington Beach elsewhere, but I can't remember where, apart from it was gone later. One of our Yahoo forum members in Huntington Beach owns #0706 GMC Casa Grande in the photo below.

We designate these by the serial number plate on the back - photo link here

Name:  #0706 Casa Grande.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.7 KB
Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Hulk Will Smash

Right on. i don't think that's it. I think it was very similar paint to yours. It's down on like Orange right between Lake and Main (not that it means much, to you but maybe the other HB guy). It was there yesterday when I drove by. I'll cruise by this weekend.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
..down on like Orange right between Lake and Main..
I do love the internet, for providing me with eyes all around the world. The GoogleStreetViewMobile was of no help since it just showed the black SUV in the driveway, but when I borrowed Bill Gates' bing.com helicopter for just a few moments, there it is.

Such views can be as much as three years out of date, so it has been there for a while. Can't tell what the lower color combo is, it would be either chocolate metalic brown & tan or a more bronze & tan color.

In case the owner wonders what you are up to, you could print out this page from Hemmings Motor News (I think it will let you do that), which has a story of them and a photo of my former Chalet at the top of the page.
Name:  Oingemain.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  68.6 KB

Many thanks for your efforts!

Last edited by 77blazerchalet; 09-10-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
Hulk Will Smash

Hopefully not too much hassle from the guy when I pull up in my 87 dually. I should be properly identified as a square body freak! I'll try to run by there tomorrow or Sunday.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
Hulk Will Smash

Haven't had a chance to get the serial number... Too much time at work lately(better than not enough these days, I guess).

Anyhow, here's a crumby photo. As I'd mentioned. It's rough. It's solid red oxide primer on the other side. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #16
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to get the serial number...here's a crumby photo...
Many thanks! I'm fairly certain this is not one on my mega-list, but I'll have to check through the notes about stickers in the rear window. I try to put in tell-tale details when I find photos, so sometimes I can spot an altered one just from some small prior detail. No hurry, and I appreciate the efforts!