The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
j.rigby15r

Driveshaft u joint question

Im swapping out the driveshaft in my 64 as part of my lwb to swb swap. It has a th350. The new driveshaft has the plastic injected joints at one end and inner clips on the diff end. The output shaft yoke that goes with my transmission uses the ones with the clips on the outside. From what I understand the injected ones are replaced with the inside clip style. Can I swap caps to make the output shaft end work. That way I can use the yoke with outside clip with a driveshaft requiring an inside clip? Or do I need to take it to a driveshaft shop? Ideas?
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Driveshaft u joint question

I know replacement u joints have the inside clips...so as long as the cup size and cross is correct it should work

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
gap1362

Re: Driveshaft u joint question

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.rigby15r View Post
Im swapping out the driveshaft in my 64 as part of my lwb to swb swap. It has a th350. The new driveshaft has the plastic injected joints at one end and inner clips on the diff end. The output shaft yoke that goes with my transmission uses the ones with the clips on the outside. From what I understand the injected ones are replaced with the inside clip style. Can I swap caps to make the output shaft end work. That way I can use the yoke with outside clip with a driveshaft requiring an inside clip? Or do I need to take it to a driveshaft shop? Ideas?
I use to drive line work in a machine shop. the best way to do this is yes the internal clip joint can be used , i would recommend bringing your transmission yolk and the shaft to a good parts store they do make u -joint that were designed to couple the two units together . Some were used to couple the internal saginaw joint to a spicer made rear or a turbo auto or even a muncie 4 speed it is very do -able good luck i wish I had curent resources for you .
gap1362 is offline   Reply With Quote