The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
72Cheyenne454

Can anyone provide feedback on 350 Chevy retro style hydraulic roller lifters

Curious if anyone has any recent experience with aftermarket retro style (link bar) hydraulic roller lifters for 350 Chevy.

I'm doing a stock rebuild on a 1970 350 and I'm just not up to messing around with flat tappets anymore. The risk associated with possible cam/lifter failure and the hassle of break in is pushing me to bite the bullet and spend the money to upgrade to a retro roller set up.

I'm not interested in converting to a later model vortec roller style block, so I'm curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with retro hyd roller lifters.

I've researched several forums and have spent countless hours trying to determine which brand to use. My machinist says he has had the best luck lately with Gaterman lifters. Others swear by Morel, or Comp, or Crower, or? Like anything you research, I have found negative experiences on-line for each, but if you have any firsthand experience, I'd appreciate your feedback.

From what I've read, it seems as though there are only a few manufactures actually producing hyd retro roller lifters and various companies buy them and call them their own?

I'm currently considering a Howards roller set up. Again this is a stock rebuild, so I'm not looking to spin the little thing past 5k, if ever, so I don't need a high rpm lifter... just need lifters that are quite and dependable.

Thanks!
72Cheyenne454 is offline   Reply With Quote