The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
mygmctruck1

Ididit steering column

I am getting ready to install my new column in the 70 cab . Where the column hits the upper part of the under dash saddle , there is a small bull nose knob .
It appears it’s there to prevent the steering column from rotating after it’s clamped in ?
My ididit column does not have an indentation to accommodate that tit , knob , what ever you call it.
And I am sure I need some way to prevent rotation on a hard turn and I do have power steering .

Ideas ?
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
tdangle

Re: Ididit steering column

I think the bump may be more for installing the column straight than to keep it from turning. I have an aftermarket column in my truck and I don't remember having the bump either. Once everything is tight I don't think it will be an issue.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

I have an idiot column too, I thought about drilling a hole to locate it but didn’t and now it’s been fine for over a year.
BTW, they are pretty nice columns but suck compared to factory, I wish I would have just bought a gm floor shift tilt. My horn contact broke right away, I had to modify the center hole of a gm one to make it fit, it’s also retained by heavy spring pressure which experts on the plastic horn contact, poor design.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I have an idiot column too, I thought about drilling a hole to locate it but didn’t and now it’s been fine for over a year.
BTW, they are pretty nice columns but suck compared to factory, I wish I would have just bought a gm floor shift tilt. My horn contact broke right away, I had to modify the center hole of a gm one to make it fit, it’s also retained by heavy spring pressure which experts on the plastic horn contact, poor design.
I ended up calling ididit tect services , they suggested drilling a hole to. So I am most likely going to.
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Mbeef61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
I ended up calling ididit tect services , they suggested drilling a hole to. So I am most likely going to.
I would get it in writing and make sure it doesn’t void any warranty
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote