The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
Missyblue

Rust/paint removal. What to do for my step into my cab

Curious if you would share photos or thoughts. The awesome people that painted the truck before I bought it made a mess. Rust is bubbling through my steps into the cab and they did no prep work so trying to decide what to do. I feel like I have seen some do the step area black? Or color match paint better? And opinions and photos would be helpful. I think I like matching color better but undecided.
Any advice on how to remove the paint and clean the steps? Not like I can sandblast it now. Been removing other rust with flapdisks, wirewheels and whatnot but havent had to go through this much paint and ridges from the texture of the stairs. Thanks
Attached Images

Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Rust/paint removal. What to do for my step into my cab

Really no choice but to take it to bare metal...3M roloc discs work great...but its gonna be tuff to get in the seam and not hit other painted panels...I would remove the steps and then work on em...take it to bare metal ,epoxy prime it...a constrating color would be ok...color match on a small scale can be done as well

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Really no choice but to take it to bare metal...3M roloc discs work great...but its gonna be tuff to get in the seam and not hit other painted panels...I would remove the steps and then work on em...take it to bare metal ,epoxy prime it...a constrating color would be ok...color match on a small scale can be done as well

Thank you I havent tried those yet. My flapdisks just gummed up so quickly with painted sections I did on the floorplan. So I'll have to try those
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
sack54

You could use a small hand held sand blaster with vacuum. Tape cab closed with plastic and tape .This is the only surefire way to remove all paint and rust.
Or you can use a pressure washer and a sand blaster attachment.
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
1project2many

Quote:
Thank you I havent tried those yet. My flapdisks just gummed up so quickly with painted sections I did on the floorplan. So I'll have to try those
When I stripped my truck, which had original paint plus an old repaint, I had to use bristlediscs. They lasted longer than any abrasive wheel I tried and they didn't leave any blasting media in the shop or in my lungs. A new 3" bristle disc would be able to get into the corners on that step.

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
mr48chev

Those bristlediscs work with a roloc setup and are available though Amazon. Most likely outside of the roloc mandril you wouldn't need anything except what you already have in the garage.

I have an Eastwood Contour setup that works great but for your purpose that would be a big investment for one project. I have enough projects to make it pay.

Still if you have a decent air compressor and have a place outside where you can sandblast without making a mess in the shop or on the driveway an inexpensive sandblast gun good goggles and a good respirator might be the order of the day.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
mick53

You might want to start with paint stripper for the heavy stuff.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
68blackbird

Any and all those ideas will get you there. I used these a bunch. From Amazon. They will take you to bare metal real quick. For those hard to reach areas, I used the cheapo HF gravity feed sand blaster & Home Depot play sand. I did blasting in driveway, would sweep sand in pile, used a window screen to filter and reuse sand 2/3 times. If you have a good air compressor, can't beat it for the $$$, Kel
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

I'm both old fashioned and cheap; I use wire wheels on a die grinder. But first I'd chisel that gunk out with a sharp object, such as putty knife or panel separator. Oops, looks like you already did that in a subsequent photo.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #10
my56chevytruck

there's someone on this forum that did paint his step using a heavy undercoating (black) on his as I'm going to do to mine. Some people have done the step in a color to match the body color, but if you intend for the painted area clean, you'll have to make sure to step over when getting into the cab. I'm going to use the undercoating material.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
sack54

I used Por followed by rhino: liner came out real good.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #12
mick53

Make sure you use a respirator what ever method you use. Could be lead paint or primer.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #13
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
Any and all those ideas will get you there. I used these a bunch. From Amazon. They will take you to bare metal real quick. For those hard to reach areas, I used the cheapo HF gravity feed sand blaster & Home Depot play sand. I did blasting in driveway, would sweep sand in pile, used a window screen to filter and reuse sand 2/3 times. If you have a good air compressor, can't beat it for the $$$, Kel
these work great. on flat (non ribbed" panels you have to be really carefull not to heat and warp panels. roloc disks are available with this same "stripper"
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Marty68

also I am NOT a fan of "undercoating" or bed liner however when epoxy primed duplicolor has a spray can of bedliner that leaves a bit of texture (hiding rust pits) it is paintable. I used it on the inside of my tailgate on my 90 gmc
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
sack54

Bed liner is also tint able I tinted mine, Dover gray.I adjusted the ****z gun for a nice medium texture,came out great. And will ware like iron .