The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #251
FrankieD

Re: I suck at reading wiring diagrams..

You can take a look at this one too they should be about the same.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #252
Steve-W

thanks for the explenation guys, this is very helpful!
So helpful that I just had a "OMG" moment.

the reason why I couldn't follow the wires is because the connectors are mirrored towards each other... I never realised that so thats why the colors where never matching up
So one more question...what are the numbers in front of the colors? so 18 Br of 20 Br etc?
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #253
TchncnDen

Quote:
So one more question...what are the numbers in front of the colors? so 18 Br of 20 Br etc?
Wire gauge. That's the size of the wire.

Did you get the distributor figured out?
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #254
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
Wire gauge. That's the size of the wire.

Did you get the distributor figured out?
Ahhh thicker or thinner wires, right. it didn't mention that in my manual.

Yeah got the ditributor figured out, #1 is indeed the plug before the ignition pointer thingy. I still need to put in the rest of the wiring, so I haven't been able to start her up to test. but I hope I'll get that done soon. although I'll be in Poland for the next two weeks for X-Mas.
1950 GMC 100
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #255
dec010974

just confirm my thoughts, i gotta chime in on this one, where does the ground come from in the stock wirng harness? is all the wiring, grounded to the body, which is grounded to the chasis, which is grounded by the battery? thanks in advance, clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #256
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
just confirm my thoughts, i gotta chime in on this one, where does the ground come from in the stock wirng harness? is all the wiring, grounded to the body, which is grounded to the chasis, which is grounded by the battery? thanks in advance, clark.
the dreaded ground question....again...

yes frame, body, motor and all metal items must be grounded... i recommend a ground bus, factory grounds are not enough for me.

there are lots of posts that explain grounds.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #257
Steve-W

I was piggybacking on a other thread, but that became to confusing with the original question, So I have stolen a quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
your connector should look like this.

Ign Switch power - Red with black pigtail coming off the side Bat
Ign Switch start - purple =Sol
Ign Switch coil - pink =Ign
Ign Switch ACC - orange =Acc
Ign Switch IGN - brown =Ign[/

The brown and green wires on the right are the G1 and G2 terminals the brown ignition wire is one on the left.
3 questions, hopefully not to stupid..why is there nothing mentioned about a starter relais, or is that the "fusible link"? I know there is the solenoid, but isn't it safer to have a relais guide the feed there instead of thrue the ignition switch?
secondly (be gentle) ACC on my ignition switch stands for? Accesories? I see in the diagram it goes to a whole lot of things after the fuse panel, so that only has power with the ignition turned on right?
then it would make sence why there are so many wires coming from the egnition switch as shown on the picture (not the diagram)

last one for now: do I still need the voltage regulator that was mounted left fron next to the headlight?
1950 GMC 100

Last edited by Steve-W; 12-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #258
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I was piggybacking on a other thread, but that became to confusing with the original question, So I have stolen a quote:

3 questions, hopefully not to stupid..why is there nothing mentioned about a starter relais, or is that the "fusible link"? I know there is the solenoid, but isn't it safer to have a relais guide the feed there instead of thrue the ignition switch?
secondly (be gentle) ACC on my ignition switch stands for? Accesories? I see in the diagram it goes to a whole lot of things after the fuse panel, so that only has power with the ignition turned on right?
then it would make sence why there are so many wires coming from the egnition switch as shown on the picture (not the diagram)

last one for now: do I still need the voltage regulator that was mounted left fron next to the headlight?
Ok I'll tell you what the wires are for on the ignition switch you quoted.,and answer your questions .

The large red wire on the top is the battery power wire from the engine compartment. The smaller red wire is for hot power to the horn relay the headlight switch or the fuse panel. They all need key off, hot power for the horn the lights or the brake lights without the key on. The wiring diagram shows them joined in the harness with the large battery wire and only one red wire going to the key switch.

The double brown wire clockwise is for the brake warning light in the cluster and this wire goes from the brake distribution block to the key switch and then to the brake warning light in the dash cluster. It is just a ground connection when the brake block is out of sync between the front and rear brakes. The key switch grounds this wire to the switch body during starting just to test the warning light. It is the ground side of the warning light circuit.

The double green wire next to it is for the temperature hot light in the idiot light cluster and it runs from the idiot light temperature sender in the engine head to the key switch and on to the cluster to the ground side of the temperature light. The same thing happens when the key is turned to start, the key switch grounds this wire to the switch body and completes the ground circuit for the temperature light, just to test the bulb. You may not have this wire if your truck has the gauge cluster and not the idiot light cluster.

The pink wire is for the ignition and goes to the firewall plug where it connects to a resistor wire for the coil and another wire that goes to the starter R terminal ( usually yellow ) that bypasses the resistor wire during starting, to send a full 12 volts to the coil for hotter spark during start. If you convert to an HEI distributor, which requires a full 12 volts all the time, you will not need this resistor wire, or the yellow wire.

The large purple wire is of course the starter solenoid wire. It runs from the key switch to the neutral start switch if you have an automatic and then to the firewall block where it continues on to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid IS the relay to answer your first question. All the purple wire does is engage the solenoid, and the solenoid contacts energize the starter
windings.

The large double brown wire should be the accessory wire terminal. The larger brown wire goes to the fuse panel and feeds the turn signal and hazard light flashers and the power wires for those circuits which I pointed out in my post above about the half moon connector. The other brown wire should be a 10 ohm resistor wire which goes to the firewall block and then to the external voltage regulator.

The ACC terminal has power when the key is in the ignition position and also when it is turned to the ACC position. There the ignition circuit is cut out of the power loop to prevent the coil from burning up.

You still need the external voltage regulator unless the harness converts your alternator to an internal regulated style, or you do it yourself.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #259
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Ok I'll tell you what the wires are for on the ignition switch you quoted.,and answer your questions .(long story cut short).
Wow, that's very extensive, thank you so much!!. If this doesn't help I guess I have no business in rebuilding my truck

I won't be able to try this for the coming two weeks, because I'll be on holiday, but as soon as I'm back in January, I'll get cracking and give feedback.

I'm signing off, Happy holidays and don't drink and drive. see y'all in January!
1950 GMC 100
Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #260
Steve-W

Yes! got the wiring figured out!
you helped a lot Vettevet, but I still had trouble crossing the T's and dotting the I's, so last night I got help from a friend and together we went over the EZ wiring diagram, the colored stock diagram, your comments and had basicly what one could only refer to as a brainstorming session. 2am in the morning we had it covered.

so now I'm connecting al the wires as they are, not cutting them to the correct length or putting a harnass around them, because I first want to be 100% it works and then I'll get to tidying them up.
1950 GMC 100
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #261
Steve-W

Last night I was hooking up the wiring for the gauge cluster and I have a few questions.

in the EZ wiring manual it says there is a white wire called "brake switch" that connects to the steering column wires. first question is why? and secondly where does it end up? because it is among my cab wiring, but isn't mentioned anywhere else in the manual.
thirdly I'm confused because of the name: I have ofcourse the brake switch near the pedal who engaged the break lights when braking. but I also have the switch in my brake power distributor which turns on the warning light in the dash in case of a brake failure..(atleast I guess thats what it's for)

any help would be highly appreciated!
1950 GMC 100
Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #262
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Last night I was hooking up the wiring for the gauge cluster and I have a few questions.

in the EZ wiring manual it says there is a white wire called "brake switch" that connects to the steering column wires. first question is why?

The brake switch and the brake lights are powered by the always hot, orange wire, from the fuse panel, so the brakes will work when the engine is not running or the key is off.
The brake lights share the same wires with the turn signals lights, so the brake wires have to come through the turn signal switch. In order to do this, the brake lights need a source of power from the brake switch, and this is where the white wire comes in. It runs from the brake switch to the column connector and up to the turn signal switch.
If you look at the red square in your first post you can see the white wire running from the brake switch up to the column connector.

Also the brake light is designed to cut out when the turn signal is selected for the left or right side. Otherwise the brake lights would be on all the time while stopped and turning at a red light. In order to do this the brake lights have to go through the turn signal switch.

and secondly where does it end up? because it is among my cab wiring, but isn't mentioned anywhere else in the manual. SEE ABOVE

thirdly I'm confused because of the name: I have ofcourse the brake switch near the pedal who engaged the break lights when braking. but I also have the switch in my brake power distributor which turns on the warning light in the dash in case of a brake failure..(atleast I guess thats what it's for)

any help would be highly appreciated!

The brake warning light wire is a tan wire that runs from the brake proportioning valve to the gauge cluster plug and it is the ground side of the warning light. When the brake fluid gets low or a pressure variance occurs between the front and rear brakes the switch inside the BPV will ground and turn on the light in the cluster. You can check this by grounding the wire with the key on and watching the light . It should come on when you turn the ignition switch to start also. The factory wired it this way in order to test the light.
What else you got..........

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #263
Rocmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
What else you got..........
I have read a bunch of your posts/replies and DANG! you are one smart feller! I wish I knew 1/10 of what you know just about wiring. Thanks for the advice- I've been using it secretly (or, trying to).
Rocmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #264
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocmonkey View Post
I have read a bunch of your posts/replies and DANG! you are one smart feller! I wish I knew 1/10 of what you know just about wiring. Thanks for the advice- I've been using it secretly (or, trying to).
You're welcome but don't ask me about computers or I-pods or cell phones or you'd wouldn't be saying that. LOL

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #265
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocmonkey View Post
I agree with Rocmonkey you being a smart feller
thanks again for helping out and I'll be sure to post the next time I have a question.
I'm now of to Limerick, Ireland for 4 days..damn business trips.
So it'll be next weekend before I can get myself into wiring trouble.
1950 GMC 100
Old 01-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #266
dibbleg

Re: Color Wiring Diagram FINISHED

Just so everyone has it, I hosted these images permanently on my website. I'll add other images as I get them. Please feel free to PM me links to other images and I'll put them up.

http://www.chrismeadtattoos.com/wiring/
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #267
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbleg View Post
Just so everyone has it, I hosted these images permanently on my website. I'll add other images as I get them. Please feel free to PM me links to other images and I'll put them up.

http://www.chrismeadtattoos.com/wiring/
Can you tattoo these diagrams on my back?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #268
dibbleg

haha! for sure.. although you might have a hard time reading them
Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #269
suxtobu65

Last edited by suxtobu65; 10-10-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: edited.
suxtobu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #270
sharkskinman

sharkskinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:49 AM   #271
sharkskinman

also i put them together
here you go.. the other links ive tried just dont work

sharkskinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #272
danny69

Does anyone know where you can get a large color printed wire diagram everytime and way I've tried to print it off the computer I can't read it it comes out too small. Thanks Danny
danny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #273
67Step

Print it and then take to a print shop and have them blow it up and print it on bigger paper.
1957 Chevy 3100 Stepside Truck. All original for now.
67Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #274
danny69

67Step.
Thanks never thought of that. Danny
danny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #275
67Step

And then laminate it so you dont mess it up. Have 2 of them done and send me one. LOL!!!
1957 Chevy 3100 Stepside Truck. All original for now.
67Step is offline   Reply With Quote