The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
BoostedinNM

Will these wheels fit a 1979 GMC 1/2 ton?

Hey guys,

I have searched the forums here and have not got a definitive answer, so here I am. I am wanting to know if these wheels will fit my 1979 GMC 1/2 shortbed. Discs up front and drums in the rear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302912802394?ul_noapp=true

I asked the seller on flea bay and he said they would fit fine, but when I looked at all of the compatible vehicles on their list, they were all 2009 and newer Dodge, Jeep, Volkswagens with 5x5 bolt patterns. The center bore size seems to be plenty big enough at 83.1mm, but I don't know. The holes for the studs may be off in size, but again I am not certain.

All the research I have been able to find says that 5x5 wheels for GM / Chevy trucks are interchangeable from 1971 to 1998, that's it. So the fact that all of the vehicles are on their interchange list are 2000 and newer, it has me concerned. Guess I may just call American Racing in the morning and find out directly from them.

Thanks to any of you that can shed some light on this.

Brent
BoostedinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Will these wheels fit a 1979 GMC 1/2 ton?

Welcome.
The bolt pattern should be fine. not sure of the center bore. the m manufacturer would be a bettter source on that info. I would give them a call.

However, the width size may look a little small for the truck. 8 inch might look better depending on the look you're going for.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
cadillac_al

I'm sure they will fit but I don't know the look you're going for either. What size tires are you planning to run?
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
tviolette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedinNM View Post
Hey guys,

I have searched the forums here and have not got a definitive answer, so here I am. I am wanting to know if these wheels will fit my 1979 GMC 1/2 shortbed. Discs up front and drums in the rear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302912802394?ul_noapp=true

I asked the seller on flea bay and he said they would fit fine, but when I looked at all of the compatible vehicles on their list, they were all 2009 and newer Dodge, Jeep, Volkswagens with 5x5 bolt patterns. The center bore size seems to be plenty big enough at 83.1mm, but I don't know. The holes for the studs may be off in size, but again I am not certain.

All the research I have been able to find says that 5x5 wheels for GM / Chevy trucks are interchangeable from 1971 to 1998, that's it. So the fact that all of the vehicles are on their interchange list are 2000 and newer, it has me concerned. Guess I may just call American Racing in the morning and find out directly from them.

Thanks to any of you that can shed some light on this.

Brent
Be careful with what you buy. I thought I did my due diligence and trusted a local franchise shop for mine. I was looking for an "old school" look for my 77 c10 lwb camper special. I was told the Cragar s/s would fit no problem. The problem I had was I paid cash up front, in full as required for a special order. When they went to install them the backset was not even close. They told me they'd require me to cough up extra for 1" spacers. I knew They were full of crap by verifying with Jegs and Summit. Because of a special order, they didn't want to give me my money back and refused to order the "right" size. Had to use my special brand of crazy in the middle of a store full of customers to get my cash back ($2200+). Ultimately bought the the equivalent wheels and tires from a different large competitor. Oh, no spacers!

Learning to laugh at yourself makes it "open season" on everyone else!
tviolette is offline   Reply With Quote