The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
daveboy

Need help replacing wheel bearings

I broke down today and decided to replace the old ball-bearings on my '52 half-ton with the roller-bearing conversions. I ran into a problem immediately and need your help. The inner race will not come off the spindle. I guess that is what it is called. It is the race that fits over the spindle and rests against the brake backplate. Should it just slide off? I have tried tapping a chisel between it and the backplate...nothing. I have tried grabbing it with pliers and twisting...nothing.

I have it sitting right now with penetrating oil soaking into it. I supposed I could apply heat, but with that brake cylinder sitting right above it I'm not sure I want to do that unless it is a last resort.

Please help.

daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need help replacing wheel bearings

I've fought that fight a time or two. You are doing exactly what I would do but you may have to heat the race to get it off. I don't think there is much worry about the wheel cylinder as you can get the race hot enough to expand it a bit pretty quick. just concentrate the heat from the torch on the race.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
nvrdone

If you have a Dremmel tool, you might try cutting the race with a small cut off wheel. I had to do that once only because I didn't have a torch.
Posted via Mobile Device
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
_Ogre

i'd try heat first, even a propane torch might do it, a little heat does amazing things to tight races
if that fails use a grinder with a cut off wheel, cut diagonally across the race and split the race with a chisel
you might damage the spindle a little, no worries, polish the surface with some emery cloth and slide the new race on

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
daveboy

Well, I tried the heat from a propane torch and that did the trick...but just barely! I got it wedged out just enough so I could get the claw of a 4' crowbar in behind it. I kept prying on that while my son kept the torch on the race. I didn't think that sucker would ever come off, but I finally got it. I got the one hub all done today. Will start the other one in the morning and I hope it is a little easier.

Thanks for the help.

daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote