The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #501
Motoxrrar

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post

Took right at 5hrs from when we opened up the garage to cleaning up and shutting the doors for the night..
Glad you got it back together!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #502
Mike_The_Grad

This experiment began as a thought about a week ago. My headers were so pitted and rusted from neglect, i was faced with a decision. Should I try my hand at restoration or submit to something I've been wanting for a while, a.k.a. buying new ceramic coated headers. So I decided to try cheapest first. Bought a can of plasti-kote hi-temp header paint. Directions on the can state: paint must be cured or finish could rub off. The can offers two ways of "curing": run the parts on the machinery for a number of minutes, for several cycles. Or cure in a non-household oven for a set time period at hi-temps. My local fast shop said they paint parts and then put them in the parking lot on a hot day for a few hours. My approach...how bout a homemade solar oven? I've seen on YouTube some ovens reaching +300°F . I figure if I can get somewhere around there I will just leave them in all day. Heck,better than not doing it at all right? This was as far as I got day one. Just using what was lying around the house,except Alum. Foil. Got that for $5 at the local discount store. Found out I needed to do more research...lol. oven has to be fully insulated. Today was far better faring.but lack the photos to back it. Tomorrow for sure. Got it all made for under $25. Picked up some naval jelly to remove rust.After going at them with wire wheels,#80 grit Emory, dremel, you name it, i was expecting better results. It probably would have been satisfactory, if the rust wasn't so set in. gonna take them to my bros workplace tomorrow and media blast them.

Will definatly post pics of my attempt at curing them in my homemade solar oven. Remember this is only an experiment... all with things that could easily be had from around my house, all for under $50. So if it works, awesome...if not, then I know where my next purchase lies.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #503
71Dually

Sliced open a corrugated carton the big brown truck left on my front porch yesterday.

Did a mock up test fit of her new hub covers.

Confirmed what I pretty much already knew, She needs longer wheel studs.

I do like the sparkle bling thing the Alcoa's bring to the big girl. Now to score some Hug-A-Lug nut covers.

Next Up???

Dump the motorhome subframe, ditch the temporary rear fenders, fab up a couple frame filler boards and drop that stake bed down 3-1/4". Then it's on to proper stake sides, scrounging up some new LT235/85/16 Transforce AT's, mirror polishing them wheels and mounting 'em all up more permanent like.

Then I'll have to find something heavy to haul so I can "shake down" the Alcoa's and keep on truckin'

As the journey continues...
1972 Ford Ranchero GT 351C-2V C6
1974 Honda XL-350
Member of the "6 C's and a D" 1-Ton Fun Club!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #504
ItsRandy

I really did this Saturday at the Goodguys event in Del Mar, backing into a parking place. I parked right in the side of a '67 Camero soft top. Funny, the scratches don't even look like a Camero. Didn't I feel stupid!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #505
VWNate1

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

That'll buff out ~
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #506
Haggis

Started the rattle-can paint job on it. Nothing special but it will be all one color, until I can start the real bodywork.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #507
Mike_The_Grad

The experiment I have recently been attempting could have been a success. But the weather took a turn. Just as everything came together...Murphy's law right? Well I did not give up. I merely converted my 'solar oven' into a homemade parts cooker! I found a dual propane burner at the discount store, that works so well I had to keep a really close eye on the temp. Yes, fire extinguisher is just off to the side outside the frame. In hindsight, solar oven would work if it were summer. But necessity is the mother of invention. And I'm proud to say I've turned an idea into an actual working utility.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #508
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Yesterday, it was the annual car/truck show in the Tower District of Fresno. I was late. Found some friends and Forum Members there.
But, by the time I got there at 8:30, there was, ".... no room at the Inn". We parked in a parking lot right next to the street where all
the activity was, and saved the forty bucks.

When The Boss and I walked around, I was once again mind-blown at all the $$$$$ in those cars. Where do you get $300,000 to put in a
55 Chevy? Or a 48 Buick? I'm glad they do. Beautiful stuff.

Also, I was mind-blown at my own stupidity for forgetting my camera. Sorry.

Yesterday a show...Today, RAT had to work for a living.

Garden supplies, some sand for the chicken coop, and a stop to get envelopes to mail the taxes tomorrow. Ugg!!!
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #509
Bob B.

Just drove mine. That's all.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #510
Lees68GMC

Finished rattle canning some more of the under-hood, not even close to done, but end of my ambition for today.

My Ranch truck sleeper
Attached Images

"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #511
amashal

Did power steering conversion on the '67. Used parts off and early '80 Silverado. Best $100 I ever spent!!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #512
amashal

Added pic. I think??
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #513
67Slider

I got to chase down a bad ground to the bed, tracked down a hacked up courtesy light issue and installed a glove box light. Not much but I am getting back up to working on the beast. My 9 year old boy helped with all of it. It was a nice afternoon working with him.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #514
vidman

A little bit of exhaust work. made some parts on the Bridgeport, just waiting till it warms up some..
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #515
Nhoechst

This week is spring break and am tackling a big project since I have off. I am re painting my bumpers, cab, engine compartment, entire undercarrige, and bed. These are the tear down pics and painting pics from yesterday and today. I will post more pics when I finish the cab, bed, and last quater of undercarrige tomorrow, and re assembly on tuesday. Its also nice having my buddy help me out with this project.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #516
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I looked at it in the driveway. Sad to say, I did not get to exercise it today, though I did take my '68 Buick GS for a run. I laid two courses of block along the east side of my back yard, 30 feet times two courses. Now that I have the Italian cypress trees cut down, I was able to put those blocks that shook off the top of that wall in the '94 Northridge quake back on. Pretty good day, overall.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #517
SLDPULR

I removed all of the side marker lights, tail lights, and gutted the interior with my 5 year old daughter. It was great to work on my truck with her for the first time.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #518
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

GOOD DADDY ! .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLDPULR View Post
It was great to work on my truck with her for the first time.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #519
texjake

My dash overhaul is finally complete. I went with a color change (black trim) on the dash pad, door panels, AC vents & sun visors. I installed a new dash speaker, a new rear view mirror, a new 200 watt AM/FM iPhone AUX stereo, a new dash pad, all new AC/defrost duct hoses, I refurbished the gauge cluster & replaced all the old bulbs with LED bulbs, I painted the steering column black, installed a new dome light, replaced the upper steering column bearing, installed a new Grant steering wheel (& yes the horn works perfect!), new AC heater controls, a new cigarette lighter, all new fuses were installed, and a new glove box liner & glove box light was installed. All that's left now is to install sound deadener with new black carpet, new black seat upholstery, 3 point retractable seat belts & kick panel speakers (no cutting the metal install) & install new cab to door weather stripping on both sides & new chrome door sill plates. I still need to address the 3 o'clock fuel gauge. I'm sure the sending unit & float is bad in the tank. That will be addressed when the seat comes out to get reupholstered.
Attached Images

Last edited by texjake; 04-14-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #520
In The Ten Ring

I got up into the garage attic to see if the birds had returned and was happy to learn they had not! BUT they left me quite a mess up there!

No worries....the entire ceiling (sheetrock) is coming down as soon as the truck is mobile.

I did seal that opening over the eves up, from the outside. Camera battery died just when I went for the "after shot."

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #521
jmorri34

Took the 69 to the local car show for the first time, was a bit nervous as there is no carpet in it no radio and still need to change the paint color. Turned out well though and spoke to a couple of guys and it seemed the 69er didn't do to bad!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #522
CUSTOM/10

Got my motor set in the chassis and got most of the serpentine set up on !
Lots more pictures on my build link below !

Gary
Attached Images

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #523
ekgguy

Installed my new-to-me swap meet hood. Got it installed and buttoned up just as it started to rain. Perfect timing.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #524
Nhoechst

New update from today. My friend and I finished the undercoating, put the first coat on the cab, and installed the bumpers and grill. Tomorrow we will hopefully finish the cab, the bed, then put the hood and cowl back on.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #525
myyamr7

I finally found a tach kit at a great price, and added the white gauge faces as well. Took about 2 hours between painting the tins, adding the white faces, and installing the tach.
Before and after..
Attached Images

Closed Thread