The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
snipescastle2

Serious Black

Hello all! I figured I had to start my build thread sooner or later, so this is a "Works in progress" build thread.....I bought my project back in July of 2013, and have been steadily making progress, been focusing my attention to the Chassis mostly, but also working on the rust repair when I found the time.
When I bought the truck, it was completely disassembled. the term- "Basket Case" comes to mind, I rented a 17' U haul truck thinking that would be enough, wrong...I had to rent a car hauler as well because of the additional chassis and cab I got in the deal. I wish I had pictures of that, but I don't.

Once I got everything unloaded and put away, I blasted the chassis and other parts with crushed,recycled glass, then I powdercoated the chassis at my Uncle's place (he built a Powder Coating Oven for his "B Mod" stock car building/race team) came in real handy

I have since coated all the suspension pieces,rear axle housing and several other pieces for the interior,etc.... I scored a 12 bolt Posi rear axle assembly from one of the bosses at work, 3.73, just what I wanted. rebuilt the carrier(new bearings anyways) and I replaced all the suspension bushings with Poly versions, all new front suspension pieces, ball joints/tie rods,etc.... and I also converted the rear end to rear disc brakes as well.....using Captain Fabs kit- very nicely done Captain Fab! I also welded in some steel tube sections in the rear cross member to pass my exhaust through, so I can tuck everything up out of the way.....

More to come.....enjoy!

made my own track bar, using some of my uncle's race car parts, Heim joints and chromemolly tube. basically, I have to run the brake lines/fuel lines and transmission lines, mount my engine/transmission and determine if I have to cut my drive shaft....most likely will. I got my Brother-in-law to build me a 700R4 overdrive transmission with all the heavy duty internals, 2500 stall convertor to match the 383 small block I'm currently building-still waiting on my heads to be finished, then I can finish the longblock.

I'm going with a 2 1/2" and 4" drop on this one, then I'll see where it sits, maybe then put some drop spindles if I'm not happy with the stance....

I'm currently finishing the rust repair and Hopefully, February it goes in for paint!
My Plans are to run the Rally wheels for now, then get a set of the Ridler 645's 20's but I'm on the fence as to wether I want the fully polished rims, or bet the Black ones with the polished Lips and spokes.............

I'm gonna call my project "Serious Black" or maybe the "MISTRESS" for the other Woman.......
Attached Images

Last edited by snipescastle2; 12-23-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: adding
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
dmack91

Re: Serious Black

Looks like you are making good progress. Keep us posted.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Serious Black

I'm gonna paint my truck Jet Black, base clear, hence the name "Serious Black" since i only get 6 digits on my plates, probably "Sirius" or ill do the "Mystrs" (mistress)
Any way's, got my 383 short block done. My heads should be done this week. Then I can wrap that portion of the build. Here's a few pictures.....
Ben
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
snipescastle2

I just modified my chassis for the exhaust pipes, to keep it all tucked up out of the way.
Heres a few pictures:
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
gdavis

looking good keep the pic coming a picture is worth a 1000 words, George

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
snipescastle2

well, slowly but surely, I'm creeping along....I got the engine almost done, still have to replace the rocker arm's I had purchased, thinking they would work, NOT! (they were self aligning comp cams roller tip rockers) the guides on the outboard of the roller tips, were contacting the valve locks, instead of the stems...... any way's my Uncle had a set of the Stainless Comp Cams full roller rockers sitting on his shelf, and is selling them to me, so crisis averted.......Got my 700R4 bolted up to the engine and is bolted down in the chassis, have to buy a trans mount still, and then see if cutting my driveshaft is going to be necessary. I finally got a good set of Headers (That Fit) Thanks Mike! "Cash3481" for bailing me out of a sticky situation!!! I still have lots to do, just finding time to get it done, that's the hard part.... Once the Cab and body parts go to paint Next month, I'm bringing the chassis home to run the brake/fuel lines,etc....progressing when I can. here's a few pictures:

Ben Smith
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Vic1947

Looking good...
Looking good...
Looking good...
AVAST MATEY!! SHE'S LISTING TO PORT!
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
snipescastle2

Vic,
Thanks! I'll look into "Ballasting her to Starboard!" I'm gonna try and get the last few remaining welding jobs I need to get done to the cab tonight/tomorrow so I can take advantage of the warm weather and shoot some primer on the bare metal while I can, since I'm supposed to drop it off at the painter's place in February......gotta bust a move...... sorry your chassis is being such a pain on CRLS......
Have a good Day!
Ben
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Low Elco

Hey, Ben's on! Looks nice!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
snipescastle2

yeah, just trying to keep up with the Masses!!! I need a set of poly locks for my rocker arms, as the ones my Uncle have are for stud girdles (Too Long) and trying to finish my cab corners with a "Fever Pitch" So I can get this out for Paint on time.....the sooner the cab and body panels go out for paint, I can start jammin' on the brake lines/fuel lines,etc...... Have a good one!
Ben
Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
snipescastle2

well, thought I'd do an update on "Serious Black" I dropped off my Cab and body parts at the painter's shop yesterday, looking to get her "Back-N-Black" in a couple of months. Now to clean the garage, sort the small things out, move stuff out of the way that I won't be using right away and bring home the chassis to run the fuel lines,Brake lines,etc..... while the body man does his magic...... my garage is an absolute mess, gotta get that done before the wife goes Psycho and starts "Round Filing" important stuff....... Pictures to come, once I get them that is.... Have a good one!
Ben
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
snipescastle2

got my poly locks installed and set the valve lash on my engine Sunday, still plugging away on small details, finishing up the rust repair on my tailgate. looks like I am going to need a new forward bed panel, mine has way too many rust pin holes to try and patch, better off with a new one I guess. I also mounted my shift linkage frame pivot bracket, had to drill two new holes, as the two parts of the linkage weren't even close to being aligned.
I started fabbing up some temporary exhaust to get it to the exhaust shop when that time arrives, so that's a little more progress. pictures to follow when I get some taken, next step, work on my bed floor and install the flush mounted gas filler for my under the bed tank, and then to spray the bedliner on both sides......
Have a great day!
Ben
Old 02-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
68Gold/white

Cool, can't wait to see further installments on the "The Old Lady", LOL...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
Low Elco

Who's doing your paint, Ben?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
snipescastle2

Thanks Fella's! I'm having Steve Janes out of Odessa do the paint and body work, he has a facebook page "Showtime auto works" some of his work is on his page. should be sweet!
Ben
Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
snipescastle2

dropped off the driveshaft today, should pick that up at 4:30, make a little progress any ways. I have to drop off the glove box door and the ash tray,check up on the progress that's being done. I was going to try and save my forward bed panel, but it's got way too many pin holes to try and save, so, I'm looking for a better one now. Almost have the tail gate done. Inching closer and closer....
Ben
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
snipescastle2

okay, been a while since I posted any pictures, thought I'd post a couple today. The painter has been busy bustin' a move to "Git R Done" had a small set back, but that's been fixed (my tailgate was beyond fixing, too much rust inside, everytime he tried to weld up a pin hole, he burned a bigger hole) got a much better tailgate and back to work. here are a few shots of the little bit of plastic work he had to do..... now if
Mother Nature will just give us a break from this "Ludicrus" weather we have been getting........ Have a good one!
Ben
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
Low Elco

Skimmin' looks good!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
snipescastle2

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd post a couple of new pictures showing my progress. The painter is getting closer to color, now for the fun part.....Block sanding........can't wait to see it in color! Enjoy!
Ben
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
snipescastle2

more....
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #21
Rod Run

Here is an old video of my friend's father's "Mistress".

It was an ISCA winner and a Ridler contender in the early 90's. They brought it back out about 5 years ago and did a few more shows and it still looks incredible with all the silver and gold plating everywhere.

So when anyone now calls their vehicle "Mistress", this car is all I can think about.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
snipescastle2

Dude, that's wild! even more, it's still a contender!!!
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #23
snipescastle2

well, no pictures for an update, but I will describe my evening two days ago, when I trailered my chassis home from my Uncle's shop.....to make a long story short, it kind of sounds like those jokes... " Hold my Beer, Watch this Sh!T" (Keep in mind I don't drink) any way's, I used my Uncle's Tow dolly to bring home my Chassis. I got within 9 miles or so of my home and things went bad.....(I wish I took pictures, but didn't) I had loaded my chassis on the dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly, and the fronts were trailing,first mistake, I didn't lock the front wheels....I made it 30+ miles with no issues, went around a bend on the hwy and the front wheels tried to pass me....(exaggerrating) but you get the idea.......any ways, the blazer I was pulling it with started fish tailing violently, and the next thing I knew, I was headed straight down an embankment! (insert expletive here)sort of felt like Bo and Luke Duke for a few milliseconds......some how, I managed to keep from rolling the whole package, kept her straight, hell, I even managed to keep the chassis on the dolly, and didn't hurt a damn thing! (Even my pants were still dry) anyway's, I feel much better now, and even after having to pay $100 to winch me out of the ditch. well, I have to get back to work, more later!!!
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 04-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
sduckworth13

What a ride! Glad your ok Ben. Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #25
snipescastle2

Scott,
Yeah, it was a wild ride! I'm really surprised nothing broke/bent.....I did find some grass/mud on the intake though I had several people stop that were behind me a ways, they seen it happen. I told them I was okay, but they called 911 any way's. I think I had the entire Johnson County (Mo.) fire dept/ambulance district show up, including the volunteer fire dept. people, that was more embarassing than anything.....I personally knew the Johnson county Sheriff (now retired) he was there, working with the volunteer fire dept crew, we had a good laugh, and even the state patrol officer's were pretty cool about it all.....I sure thought I was gonna roll the whole Guacamole, thought I was gonna crap my pants for sure, but I pulled off a hat trick....... My wife was not very pleased to hear I spent another $100 on the truck, especially that way (tow bill) that really enfuriated me that it was all about the money, and not about my being okay....Oh well.
Guess I should write a "Memoir" about my "rites of passage" with this truck..... On a better note, the painter should be getting closer to shooting the color anytime now.can't wait!
Have a good one!
Ben