The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
AZ Chev

Expert Opinion, Original LWB vs Cut Down SWB?

I recently purchased a 69 LWB CST10 with the following factory options installed and listed on SPID: 396, turbo 400, AC, PS, PB, CST, Bucket Seats, Cruise Control. Truck is complete, all options in tact and present, and is the original 396. I am going to do a complete frame-off restoration, and had originally planned to build this truck 100% original, but after much research, and reading many threads on this forum, am now considering converting to a SWB. The truck has a clean LWB box on it, and i have a clean original SWB box I could put on it, so would only be modifying the frame.

Putting personal preference of SWB vs LWB aside, (I think I prefer a SWB, have 2 other LWB) and considering post restoration value only, should I keep this highly optioned truck original with a LWB, or would it be worth more when finished to do a total original build with the exception cutting down the frame, and go ahead and make it a SWB?

I look forward to the comments.
AZ Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
nds1968

Re: Expert Opinion, Original LWB vs Cut Down SWB?

Find a SWB frame for a couple hundred bucks....

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Chev View Post
I recently purchased a 69 LWB CST10 with the following factory options installed and listed on SPID: 396, turbo 400, AC, PS, PB, CST, Bucket Seats, Cruise Control. Truck is complete, all options in tact and present, and is the original 396. I am going to do a complete frame-off restoration, and had originally planned to build this truck 100% original, but after much research, and reading many threads on this forum, am now considering converting to a SWB. The truck has a clean LWB box on it, and i have a clean original SWB box I could put on it, so would only be modifying the frame.

Putting personal preference of SWB vs LWB aside, (I think I prefer a SWB, have 2 other LWB) and considering post restoration value only, should I keep this highly optioned truck original with a LWB, or would it be worth more when finished to do a total original build with the exception cutting down the frame, and go ahead and make it a SWB?

I look forward to the comments.
It sounds like you are planning on keeping this truck for yourself, if this is the case I guess I wouldn't have a problem either cutting it down or as long as your doing a restoration finding an original SB frame especially if you have a SB for it. If done right I don't think you would have a problem selling it either way later.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

A cut down long box done perfect and right will still have the stigma of being cut down. I dont think you will get original short box money for it. But you see all sorts of crazy money being tossed out at our trucks today .. so who really knows?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Find a SWB frame for a couple hundred bucks....
SWB frames here are now priced at $1500+...

Not sure if they are selling for that yet, but must be close because the ads don’t last long.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 10-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
davepl

Get out the torch, but it'll no longer be an original 396 AC truck, all of that. I mean it will be, and you'll know it, but once the truck is cut any semblance of originality is lost.

That might be worth it to pick up the shorter wheelbase, which is a nice look. But I'd be happier with a stock restoration. So only you can know for sure what you want!

Either way, do what YOU want without worrying about it!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
57larry

if you can do the work yourself, cut it, if not, buy a frame
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

They are original only once. With a truck with the number of options it has, I'd stay long bed. If you absolutely have to have SWB, find a short 71-72 frame so you already have front disc brakes and swap the body. Save the LWB frame for later down the road.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
indymachinist

I guess the question is which is worse? A long bed, or an original restoration that isn't really "original" anymore because you cut it down to a short bed.

People around here seem pretty quick to slam any cut down frame right off the bat before they even know if it was done right or not.

Does it cancel out? It seems short bed trucks are worth more to the average person than comparable long beds, and cut down beds are worth less than original short beds.

You probably really need to decide if this is for you or if you are going to sell it when you are done first.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Chev View Post
I wish I had your problem! Personally, I would not cut a truck that has that SPID and still has all the things listed present.

You asked specifically about post-resto value only, so, from that perspective, I'd say it will be worth more uncut also, again, considering the options.

Two ways to look at it:
It's just a truck, change it however you like.
or
These trucks are becoming more and more collector's items - and if you're asking about post-resto value comparisons, then it must be of concern to you. That reason alone leads me to recommend leaving it a longbed.

If you hadn't mentioned post-resto value, I'd say cut it or get a swb frame and build what you want. But since you did say it, well, there you go. There is becoming more and more truth to the comment above - they are only original once. Sounds like you have several trucks and the means to work em, I'd get a different swb truck (or cut a different lwb) and preserve this one or restore it as original lwb.

Or, better yet, sell em all and join the 3/4 ton side of the house, we're all happy over here, no swb's to choose from anyway
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
tutone

You said preference aside and post restoration value only. Then I will swim against the tide on this one. I would either keep it unrestored and drive it or sell it and find a factory swb to spend the money on. BB highly optioned trucks are in demand in short or long fashion. This coming from a short wide bed fan, and I dont mind cutting up a truck. Just hesitant about hacking up a truck like yours.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
72 tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
You said preference aside and post restoration value only. Then I will swim against the tide on this one. I would either keep it unrestored and drive it or sell it and find a factory swb to spend the money on. BB highly optioned trucks are in demand in short or long fashion. This coming from a short wide bed fan, and I dont mind cutting up a truck. Just hesitant about hacking up a truck like yours.
Well said
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

If it's not a 71 or 72 it's just a parts truck anyway....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
harpo231

People should keep in mind that these trucks are not super valuable no matter what. We need to work together to ensure NOS parts don't get more ridiculous . My suggestion would be to advertise here to TRADE this nicely optioned truck for exactly what you want .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
MARKDTN

Quote:
X2. With those options I'd leave it alone.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
BossHogg69
motor exploder

In my mind, the resale value of a highly optioned, original BB truck goes out the window once you cut the frame and put another bed on it. From a resale value only perspective, I say leave it lwb and restore it.

Where are the pics of said truck anyway????!!!!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Overdriven

Quote:
X3. Too many options to cut up.

You'll garner more attention as a SWB but lose that attention when people realize it's not a true SWB. You cut on something like the frame and major doubts and questions appear in people's minds, unless you're from a hot rod shop with a tv show. Plus it's still got a LWB VIN and SPID, so it gets put into the same category as trucks that have had a bunch of options slapped on that weren't original to that truck.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
X3. Too many options to cut up.

You'll garner more attention as a SWB but lose that attention when people realize it's not a true SWB. You cut on something like the frame and major doubts and questions appear in people's minds, unless you're from a hot rod shop with a tv show. Plus it's still got a LWB VIN and SPID, so it gets put into the same category as trucks that have had a bunch of options slapped on that weren't original to that truck.
Well put, especially the part about the 'Hot Rod Shop' and TV Show. That's all people care about now.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
AZ Chev

I greatly appreciate all of the response, pro and con the short bed. This is exactly what I needed to make a decision. This truck will remain original, with as many NOS parts as I can afford. My daily driver is the white and aqua GMC in my profile. It is a long bed with a 350, and I absolutely love the way it drives, handles, and like to be able to haul a full sheet of plywood. I plan to keep this truck, and personally I feel keeping it totally original trumps making it a short bed. I was looking to build my confidence in my direction from folks who have been doing this longer than I. I'v been told by a few folks I was crazy for dropping a bunch of money into a long bed, thus the reason for the question.

So here is the only picture I have right now. It is the one on the back trailer. It is packed tight in a barn now with several other old vehicles, and hard to get picture of. Will try to get more. It isn't much to see on the outside or inside, it all needs re-done. It is however straight with absolutely no rust. All the side moldings and badging are missing, and it is painted with house paint, but still has the original motor bone stock, original AC, original bucket seats and console, and original cruise. The uglyness may be why I got the chance to buy it LOL. It's been sitting for 15-20 years, and isn't in driving condition, but did start and sound good when we started it, and drove on the trailer. Interesting enough, In spite of the CST package, this truck didn't have an upper molding or a cargo light. Will be going back with original colors, maroon with a white top, saddle interior.

So, for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say:
To jocko and those of you on the 3/4 Ton side, I bought this truck in a package deal I stumbled onto in Tombstone AZ., and yes, the 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC came with the deal. It is a camper special with original paint (what is left of it), AC cab, PS, PB, Tow hooks, factory tach, (supposed to have a 350), 4spd, Rockford transfer case, Dana axles with factory posy, and blue interior with houds-tooth upholstery. It has a brand new 327 that also hasn't been run for 15 years if ever (wish it had original motor).

And for the one I will now be doing a resto-mod on and converting to a SWB instead of the 69, the last truck that came with the deal is a white and baby blue 67 C10 Custom Small window LWB with rear coils, a factory 12 bolt 4-10 posy, turbo 400 trans, wood bed, AC truck. This one also doesn't have the original motor, so probably a better candidate for converting to SWB and resto-mod. I also have a 67SB frame for this one, so no cut and splice.

Thanks for all the input fellas, and please keep it coming. Love hearing the feedback. Also keep and eye for my WTB NOS stuff ads on the parts side in hopefully the not so distant future.

Great weekend to all.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
AZ Chev

Still learning how to attach pictures here. If you don't see it this time, it is in my albums under 69 CST. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #21
Bigdav160

I drove these trucks when they were not cool. I owned short wheel base and long wheel base.

If you plan on driving it, keep it LWB. If you want to just look at it or go to the weekend show, shorten it.

I wish I would have kept all my SWB trucks, not because they drove better than the LWB, but because they would be worth $$$$ today.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
72 tigger

Your plan sounds great! Looks like you prefer GM trucks for your "older" rides & mopar for your "modern" ride
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #23
clay68c10

I like the plan, may as well modify the one that isn't original.
Any pics of the 67?

Nice tow rigs, do they have Cummins engines?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #24
In The Ten Ring

This whole fad of cutting down frames is to me, quite silly. There are plenty of SWB trucks out there already. Further, how can cutting something down possibly increase its value? Cutting down a good shape G98 rifle might seem logical but you just threw away a $1000.00 to $2000.00 dollar rifle to have a $200.00 rifle you'll never be able to sell for even that.

Eventually, when all the LWB's are cut down and chopped up, the market will change and people will be welding steel onto the hacked up fake SWB frames to restore them to their former glory.

Besides, a LWB frame has an 8 foot bed. That's 2 more feet than a SWB bed. You can carry more load! Frankly, I wish my original SWB was a LWB (but only an original one).

My two cents, don't flame me for daring to disagree! This isn't FB after all.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #25
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I drove these trucks when they were not cool. ....
When was that???
These trucks have been cool since late 1966.
I've been into them since the early 90's (I was in high school)
Some of the best looking trucks ever made. At least I have always thought so.

As for the LWB vs Cut Down SWB question:
That's easy.
Leave this one a long box, and go buy a short bed too.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote