The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Edsabo

Cool Seeking Knowledge

Hello all,
Looking for thoughts, advice, cautions, etc ... on a project I am thinking of undertaking. Simply put, I want to take the cab off my dad's old work truck (47 GMC: straight 6, 6 volt electrical system, no bed... plus, it's been parked for a while collecting dust) and put it on my 2009 GMC Canyon Crew Cab ( V8, 4WD, 12 Volt electric, Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Anti lock brakes...)

I want the modern day power plant with the old school memories of riding with my Dad. Sappy? Maybe, but it is what it is.

I know I need to measure the wheel base and will need to redo the steering column and will be searching for old school looking gauges that are 12 volt because I want to keep the look of the interior.

Any advice or thoughts would be great.

Thanks, Ed
Edsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Seeking Knowledge

first,
start with a track width of the donor. the wheel base can be changed but the track width is what the front suspension is set up to run properly with. if you need to change out wheels for a different offset, to acomodate the wheels to fender relationship, then try to do this as minimally from stock as possible. the tire size is also a factor with this. google independent front suspension geometry for a bit more info.
do a measurement on the width of the cab from the donor as well. compare to your existing cab. it may be easier to swap the firewall and floor from the donor which will already have the cab mounts etc. you can use the existing donor seats, console and seat belts etc if it fits well enough

next,
check out the contours of the frame of the donor. how much bump up over the axle do you have because this will affect the floor height of the inside of the box.
next decide what you want to do for a gage and wiring package. you can use the existing dash cluster from the donor if you are handy with electrical.

next,
do a drawing of the old cab on the new frame and see what the height will look like and draw in some wheels etc. it will be easier for a swap if you don't want the truck sitting really low. the lower you go with the cab over the wheels the more chance of tire interference when going over bumps with the wheels turned, like out of a parking lot. we do that all the time so check it closely.

next,
if you like what you see and want to start, take lots of pics of the disassembly of both units. when you remove a bolt install it back in the hole it came from when the parts are off for storage. that way you will know how it went together. on the donor measure stuff like dash width, dash height from floor, width across doors, dimension from floor of truck to top of dash. when you have the donor in the shop and are ready to start taking it apart remove the rear shock bolts and fab up a steel bar that can go in place of the rear shocks. lock the suspension at the ride height of the stock truck before you take it apart. that is the height the truck suspension was made to run at. do this front and rear. the front can easily be locked using a link from the frame to the stabilizer bar mount on the lower control arm.
I am doing a 57 gmc onto an 04 awd gmc envoy. pm me with your email address if you want some more info on the troubles I ran into and how I overcame them. it is not a job for the faint of heart for sure.

an assembly manual for the old truck could help because it will likely have a blueprint style of diagram with frame dimensions etc. you may be able to contact a gm dealer for the same sort of diagram for the donor except the dimensions are a bit different because they are measured differently due to the method assembly at the plant. the gm heritage center may also be of help for both units as well as the old car manuals project online. you can also try the gm upfitter site and see if your donor truck is listed. they have frame diagrams.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...to/49index.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Edsabo

Thank You! That info sounds like what I was looking for. I'm not ready to start yet, but I will be doing the things you said to see if it's possible. I daw a lot of body swaps using S10 frames, but I own both trucks mentioned so it seems like a match made in heaven, given that heaven has a fab shop and welders lol. m
Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
joedoh

colorado wheelbases dont match up to 47-55 trucks but if you are taking on a project like this, that is the last thing to worry about. there is a project in the project section by aviator or something similar where he used a lincoln aviator as a donor, much like what you want to do. the things I told him to watch for apply here too:

you will want to see where the firewall lines up on the AD, where the motor lines up, to see what kind of work you have ahead. just parke them next to each other and draw imaginary lines in your head. my guess is the firewall will be further forward in the canyon, and the motor will be as well, because the seating position is lower and forward in the canyon and upright and rearward in the AD. you can move the firewall and drivetrain back, I am not saying you cant, but it can be a lot of work. next park the canyon in FRONT of the AD. draw an imaginary line through the center of the canyon steering column and look at where it falls on the AD. this is less critical because the canyon is a rack steering and it can be moved, but if you plan to use the firewall and pedals of the canyon (you should, it simplifies things, the pedal mounts are sheetmetal formings that cant be unbolted) keep in mind the outside of the canyon firewall will need to be inside the AD cowl.

I did this exact thing, I put a 1965 swb big window truck on top of a 1998 S10 and kept the firewall and all the systems, it worked great, aside from moving the steering column up and outboard, the pedal systems, etc, everything I just talked about.

IMG_9191 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

find that aviator build, he really did some neat stuff. there are also some trailblazer builds in the projects section, where they used the trailblazer systems and firewall. is it easier than an s10 swap? mmmmmm maybe not. I have only done one firewall swap, but a bunch of s10 swaps.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsabo View Post
Looking for thoughts, advice, cautions, etc ... on a project I am thinking of undertaking. ...snip...

Any advice or thoughts would be great.
don't do it

without any knowledge of your shop or skill set we have no idea if you should even attempt it
given the knowledge, shop space and skill set anyone can do anything
but given the right knowledge and skill set you wouldn't be asking advise here

most frankentruck projects end up dragging on, sucking money and relationships down the drain
they eventually end up on craigslist or ebay with the description of ''thousands spent all it needs is finishing''
i doubt half the builds on this forum ever get finished, strong start with big ideas soon fade away to page 50

if the truck has sentimental value do the minimal work to get it driving
then drive the wheels off it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
don't do it

without any knowledge of your shop or skill set we have no idea if you should even attempt it
given the knowledge, shop space and skill set anyone can do anything
but given the right knowledge and skill set you wouldn't be asking advise here

most frankentruck projects end up dragging on, sucking money and relationships down the drain
they eventually end up on craigslist or ebay with the description of ''thousands spent all it needs is finishing''
i doubt half the builds on this forum ever get finished, strong start with big ideas soon fade away to page 50

if the truck has sentimental value do the minimal work to get it driving
then drive the wheels off it
I have seen too many of them end up like that, when ever I hear the term "Frame swap" all I see it "Money swap" "Time swap" and "Work swap" you swap these things from one frame to the other, that's all there is to it.

But leaving it stock is my vote, I know he isn't asking for a vote or our opinion, but sometimes a few words can make a difference that is for the better.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have seen too many of them end up like that, when ever I hear the term "Frame swap" all I see it "Money swap" "Time swap" and "Work swap" you swap these things from one frame to the other, that's all there is to it.

But leaving it stock is my vote, I know he isn't asking for a vote or our opinion, but sometimes a few words can make a difference that is for the better.

Brian
MARTINSR all this is actually very well said. I sat down did a spreadsheet documenting everything I figured I needed including new everything. I look back at that spreadsheet and majorly wonder how I'm 40K over budget.... and I get to listen to my wife tell all our friends that she doesn't want company over because I still have a house full of truck parts and it embarrasses her! I have to agree as the C-channel frame kit, 4 link and Moser 9inch are in the den and the formal dining room until I get the it all put in the truck as the rest of the garage has everything stripped off the truck for the frame work!!! Okay back out to the garage to work on the frame some more!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
MARTINSR all this is actually very well said. I sat down did a spreadsheet documenting everything I figured I needed including new everything. I look back at that spreadsheet and majorly wonder how I'm 40K over budget.... and I get to listen to my wife tell all our friends that she doesn't want company over because I still have a house full of truck parts and it embarrasses her! I have to agree as the C-channel frame kit, 4 link and Moser 9inch are in the den and the formal dining room until I get the it all put in the truck as the rest of the garage has everything stripped off the truck for the frame work!!! Okay back out to the garage to work on the frame some more!

LOL I am more than 100% certain Martin was throwing shade on using late model frames as swaps, not buying a 15-20+k custom built frame from a custom frame builder.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
LOL I am more than 100% certain Martin was throwing shade on using late model frames as swaps, not buying a 15-20+k custom built frame from a custom frame builder.
I am not directing this at you or anyone in particular so please guys read my recommendations as recommendations and not attacks. I am giving advice that may be needed, if not by the OP but by others thinking about a "frame swap."

But I am referring to both custom built frames as well as using a frame from another truck, BOTH of them really depend on many things. I can't stress enough, my opinion is that there IS a place for this, there IS a place for swapping the frame where it is the best choice.

But buying a new custom built frame sure isn't needed, modify the stock one for goodness sakes. Unless you are truly building a "show car" kinda thing that will have mirrors under it (yes I have done this) then putting an IRS on your stock frame is all you need. You don't need to box it, not unless you plan on dragging it with slicks and an 800 hp motor.

Upgrade the stock frame as far as you need, there are steps, stop where you need to. Brakes, ok, if that's all you need, stop, power steering, if that's all you need, stop, lower it, put a dropped axle, then stop, "need" IRS, put in an aftermarket hotrod IRS and stop, done deal, a little trimming on the inner fenders and you are done.

The whole swapping the frame out for one that doesn't fit, then modifying every single damn thing to MAKE it fit where it doesn't belong doesn't make sense to me unless you REALLY need it. You want the baddest ass work truck for your contracting job, you will be towing trailers with equipment on it, hell yeah, a bad ass late AD with a 1990 1500 Silverado chassis under it, hell yeah, right on! NEVER have I said that there is no need for it.

You have some rusty AD floor all gone, frame pitted with rust to crap, hell yeah, put a modern frame under it with it dropped on the ground with an air suspension, cool, you got it.

But the crazy level it's gone where EVERYONE thinks they MUST have a "modern frame" to drive on "Modern highways" (I want to puke when I hear that term) is wrong and it hurts people. It hurts them, people without an understanding the big picture I have laid out are HURT because they cut up their truck and don't get it done, or don't do a good job, or are sick to their stomach after they move into the community and see what the did before they learned what they REALLY need.

This is all I am saying, and with the OP in this thread having a truck his dad drove as a work truck that the OP rode in looking over at his dad shifting when he was a little boy, I am sorry, I really think that is how it should stay.

I can't make it clear enough, this is my OPINION, we all have one, and I am thankful we do or a car show would be damn boring full of the same car.

I just toss out more info so that those thinking about it make the right decision for them and their OPINION of what they really need.

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
ROFLMAO I would have been closer to have went that route!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by idbeast; 01-12-2018 at 10:16 PM.
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #11
mr48chev

I'm thinking the Canyon is a pretty good candidate for that swap but unless the body is shot I'd wonder about the wisdom of cutting up a nice and at least around here rather valuable truck to do the swap. If it's a bit on the rough side, head on.

I just spotted these gauges the other day and they are not inexpensive running around or above 1100.00 but they are trick. https://con2r.com/1947-chevy-gauges The outfit makes just about everything to the sell one at a time to order. they make some great looking steering wheels that are not cheap either.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm thinking the Canyon is a pretty good candidate for that swap but unless the body is shot I'd wonder about the wisdom of cutting up a nice and at least around here rather valuable truck to do the swap. If it's a bit on the rough side, head on.

I just spotted these gauges the other day and they are not inexpensive running around or above 1100.00 but they are trick. https://con2r.com/1947-chevy-gauges The outfit makes just about everything to the sell one at a time to order. they make some great looking steering wheels that are not cheap either.
I used a set of their gauges on a '51 GMC we're building at work. They're really nice, but they take a bit of work to make them fit. Not sure if GMC gauges mount differently than Chevy gauges, but I had to do some trimming on their mounting ears to make them drop in the holes. Also had to trim the firewall brace under the gauges since the gauge buckets are pretty deep. They look great in the truck and are worth the bit of work it takes to make them fit.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
dsraven

Ed,
sorry, I must apologize for my rant on frame swaps being pretty in depth. I guess I forgot the part about you doing a few S10's before. I did read that part too, my mistake. I got wrapped up in my frame swap experience and was thinking this could put a less patient guy under the bus.
how about a few pics of the 2 trucks? is the old one pretty solid? I guess with your S10 experience you already know the bad that can be lurking behind a bubble in the paint. will you be doing an electronic fuel injection engine/trans combo from the donor or possibly using a carbed engine and non electronic trans? will you use a smaller tire to fit the look of the old trucks better or will the stock diameter tire from the donor work? if smaller diameter have you done the math for rpm at highway speeds? are you dropping the suspension so it is in the weeds or more of a stock height? use the floor and firewall from the donor or the original cab with the appropriate spacer blocks to level things out?
I know, lots of questions. inquiring minds wanna know.

anyway, please accept my apologies for the previous, possibly negative, post on your frame swap. maybe the rant will be read by someone else who it may possibly help.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #14
Bruces

I was going to use a ext cab 2007 Colorado under my 1949 Ford f1 .The Colorado is a relatively flat frame and was within an inch of my fords track width if I remember correctly .Mine was a z71 4x4 ,but they made z71 2wd trucks as well with the torsion bar suspension , so my plan was to try a set of z71 2wd bearings and drop the 4 x 4 stuff off of it .I needed to cut a foot out of the frame to work with my wheelbase ,the frame was not c channel like an s10 ,but there was a nice straight easy area to deal with near the back of the cab .I bought my Colorado with a blown engine for $300.00 ,and sold off most of the body parts and scrapped the rest and had $30.00 into it when I had it stripped to the frame .I never did anything with the frame other than stripping it down before my neighbours complained to the city ,so I ended up scrapping the frame before I got going with it .I was not looking at building a ground scraping truck ,so it's ride height would of been fine for my use ,and you can definitely play with the torsion bars for some adjustment .When I have room in my garage ,I will find another and carry on with what I started .
Bruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
b-mac

A-hole neighbors...everybody's got one.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Bruces

It's ok ,he is currently hooked up to an oxygen bottle ,so I am going to instal a pellet stove and smoke him out .Then I will purchase his home and choose my own neighbour .
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #17
MARTINSR

Ok, here comes the old dude, leave the truck as it is. Unless you are going to drive this truck every day on winding mountain roads towing a boat, leave the truck the way it is.

Restore it stock, all the bed and all is available new and they are the ONE reproduction sheet metal parts that are worth buying for sure.

But honestly, think about it, think about it hard. You are going to be doing some serious cutting up of your dad's old truck to get it on that frame.

Just setting the cab there, not a big deal, but the front sheetmetal has to be serious modified to fit. I am a hot rodder, I get it, mods to make it more drivable, I get it, mods to make it faster, I get it. I have a sixties Muscle car modified for the drags and hanging corners, I get it. My truck, I had a mid engine Buick in it 40 years ago, carburator between the seats mid engine, I get it.

But I also drive a stone stock 1959 Rambler everyday with drum brakes, three on the tree and a flat head motor, basically the same motor, drive train and braking as you would find on a 1935 car, and I drive it every single day, EVERY,SINGLE, DAY in the SF bay area. I am an old dude, the memories in THAT truck just as it is that is how you want to keep it. I enjoy driving that stone stock Rambler, her name is Marge. I pat Marge's dash board almost every day thanking for for giving me such joy. I love showing it to people, opening the hood showing them the simplicity of an old car. Ringing the "bermuta bell" that I have at kids when they show interest, driving that old truck just as your father drove it, damn that's cool!

If you do modernize it, leave that stock frame, put an aftermarket IRS in it, slip in a small block, it's easy peasy! There are so many different options it's crazy!

Nothing evil here, no knocking everyones ideas, I am just throwing out there another idea.

Think about it, "Move into the community" of this truck on forums and give it some thought before you jump into the frame swap idea full bore.

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
MARTINSR

Wow, double disagree here.

On the neighbor, first let me make it clear, I have a couple of SERIOUSLY screwed up neighbors. I am looking out my living room window this very second at an "alternate lifestyle" NUT JOB woman who's Suburban is parked across her weed lawn in front of her bright purple house who has hand made no trespassing signs nailed to the front of her house. This is in an $800K house neighborhood in the bay area! The guy next to her, I got to see a "COPS" episode in the middle of the night once when a cop grabbed an ax off the fire truck and went over and busted the front door in, I know what a jerk neighbor is like.

But I also know that my neighbors didn't buy their houses to be next to a body shop or wrecking yard. I respect them, and they respect me. If I am walking out to the garage (detached in the back yard) to do some grinding or noisy stuff and they are in their back yard enjoying the day I stop and go back in the house, or do something that isn't going to make noise or smoke or smell. My back yard is full of crap and it's all out of view of all my neighbors so they don't have to look at it.

Before you attack me, I understand that they can be out of line, I get that. But also look at their point of view. Can you imagine if your neighbor did something like fished bringing home crazy amounts of fish and cut the meat off and then threw the rest in the yard that is 30 feet from your door letting it rot and stink where you couldn't have a window open, can you imagine that? Or played rap music full of F bombs loud enough for your children or grandchildren to hear, that wouldn't be acceptable, but they love it, and it's their property, you know what I mean?

By the way, I get along with the nuts across the street, I help them with their cars, I loan them tools, etc. If crap starts flying, all it does is bring more crap.

Whew, this ought to go over good. LOL

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
MARTINSR

I do have to say that once at a swap meet there was a Ford 1948 F1 with a Toyota Tacoma frame under it, I couldn't believe how nice it fit. Probably had a lot to do with how well the guy did it, like I always said, "If the engine swap looks really hard, it's because the guy didn't do a good job!" So maybe that guy did such a nice job it looked easy, but damn that Toyota frame under that F1 damn near looked like Ford had put it there!

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
Edsabo

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I truly have a lot to think about. The main thing is I appreciate all of your responses.
A few details. I am getting ready to retire in 4 years, the 47 has been in my garage and is currently being used as a drying rack for rough cut lumber. That goes with my next "career" as I will be building custom furniture and stuff. I want to use dad's old work truck as my new work truck... old guy, old truck, selling rustic furniture... so I don't need to swap anything, but my desire was to save a bit of money as I already own both vehicles and only need 1 of them. In my mind that was the best option giving me the desired outcome and only taking up one parking spot as I will be downsizing soon.

I have a lot more to think about now thanks to all of you, this forum does not disappoint as I was "Seeking knowledge" and you all delivered .
Thank you again, Ed
Old 01-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
MARTINSR

Sounds like a way too cool project for words. My brother my has our dad's 55 F-100 that both of us drove to school, took camping, raced (it had a 364 Buick Nailhead in it that he installed in 1966). He drives it regularly and he says the biggest mistake he made was putting what was popular at the time with F-100s a Plymouth Valare front end. He wishes he had done a nice dropped axle instead, especially with the power steering box, he has had nothing but trouble with that.

That truck was featured in Rodders Digest issue #32. Our dad would have been proud. He missed seeing it done by only a few months.

Funny, another project he has is his 1939 Ford Coupe that be built in the seventies. He sold it about 25 years ago and just bought it back, found it on ebay in Georgia and had it shipped to California. One of the changes he is making is removing the crap aftermarket disc brakes they put on and putting the 40 Lincoln drum brakes with Buick finned aluminum drums that he had put on it 25 years ago that worked awesome!

Honestly, it sounds like some basic changes are all you would need. But think about it, and remember about the "saving money" thing, you know you WILL rebuild that whole 2009 GMC, you KNOW you would pull it apart and paint it and replace the ball joints, shocks and bushings and all that, you know you will, you know you will want it a little lowered and get dropped spindles, and dearched rear springs, you know you will, it won't save you a dime over modifying the stock frame if you want to go that far.

I have to tell you, I had a Camaro frame clip under my truck, one day a guy at work bought a nice old AD with a dropped axle, the stock motor with a three speed. It was painted nice, just a super nice truck. One day I drove it thinking I would confirm that I HAD to have that Camaro clip. I was sickened, blown away at how NICE that sucker drove! OMG I remember thinking how it felt like an old S-10 (this was before the S-10 swap became the norm.) I went home bought a stock frame and sold the one I had put the clip on. I wanted old school, and I had already ruined my rad support and inner fenders (one of the only parts I still had from the $200 truck I bought in 1974 at 15 years old with paper route money.) I will have to patch those inner fenders up before I use them damn it. I do now have the plans of running a 49-52 Passenger car front suspension (already bought one) as the theme of the truck is a 1952 Motorama "Cameo" with a Corvette 235 Six motor in it. And that is the only reason I am running the independent but at least it will bolt in on the stock frame.

Anyway, keep thinking and make the best decision for YOU on that very cool piece of your history.

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
dsraven

if you want to be building furniture in the same shop as the truck project, in the anytime soon near future, but don't have the cash to spend for other labour to help get the swap done, then I would suggest to pick one or the other retirement jobs. like said, these projects have a habit of becoming "for sale" ads several years down the road. I suggest this
start with the old truck.
start with a pad of paper and write down everything that will be replaced, everything that will need work and to what extent and everything that will just need a clean up and re-install. be honest because you will only cheat yourself in the end. have a plan in mind that includes what the final product is supposed to look like. freshly painted, straight paneled truck with door and window seals that seal, windows that work, nice interior with carpet floor and comfy seats, and is sitting at stock height or a patina'd hotrod that sits on the rocker panels, has dents that date back to the 60"s, has a floor shifter that rubs the roof and leaks at every rubber seal. sorry if that sounds a bit rough on the hotrodding patina guys but I figure it is your/their truck and you/they should build it the way you/they want, as long as it is safe to drive on the roads with OUR families. just get a plan together so you can do a proper assessment of costs before you start.
start at the front bumper and work back. account for every seam and panel along the way. look on the back panels where possible to see if the fasteners will likely come apart without distorting the panel or causing damage in some way. include looking at headlight buckets, all light fixtures, rolling down windows to check regulators for wear, operation and track seals. open doors and check hinges and latches, levers regulators, handles, common rust traps and condition of seals. check seat springs, track mechanisms, cushions and covering and the frame(s) structures. check all glass and rubbers. check shifters and linkages (if repurposing them). pull back floor coverings and look for rusty spots or holes. check the roof around the drip rail for soft spots. the vent in front of the window (if equipped) also the area where the fenders bolt to the cab. check the heater assembly, core and fan motor. all the electrical inside the cab-gage cluster and switches even the interior light and fuel tank with sending unit. check the bed for rusty areas, rotted cross sills, tailgate operation and rotted areas, bedwood rails etc. the rear fenders for integrity and damage. the rear bumper and attachments. finally, check the frame for straight, square and sag. are there any previous damages to anything on the truck. if done by a home repairman some of these areas can be trouble spelled "spend time and money here". do you have tools to dissassemble both trucks? do you have space to do the same? storage for all the parts? will you wife and neighbors be ok with a mess that seems to go on forever?

now go to the donor truck and do the same. what parts will you be using? do you have space to save the complete donor unit until the project is complete? it sucks to get rid of the wreck and find out you needed a part.

add in a whack of time to spend on repairing broken off bolts, bent panels or parts that looked good until they were removed. time/money for sand blasting (another spot in the build where problem areas show up as holes or very thin metal. usually in a spot that will include dollars to be spent on replacement parts), paint and body supplies, steel and hardware for fabbing a body swap kit. understand that the old truck was likely 6 volt and the new one will be 12 volt so that will mess with the gage cluster at least. what will you do for a speedo because the new truck is probably not a cable driven speedo. you may need a swap sized rad because the old one may not be big enough for the v8 or may be too far gone and the donor rad won't fit the rad support on the old truck. you will need to fab up a front bumper mount. there will be steering linkage problems, pedal problems, the box of the truck may end up being very shallow due to the kick up over the rear wheels on the newer frame. the driveline may need to be shortened so that will entail a new driveshaft (or work on the old one), shorter park brake cables and some sort of linkage to connect the old to the new, shorter brake lines to the rear (the newer truck likely has ABS brakes so may require a scanner to open the ABS valves in order to bleed the air out), you may want to incorporate some newer style seat belts with shoulder straps, you will likely need to disable a fe things in the ECM or other module from the donor. air bags, or other body control module item like the disable or security function, etc etc etc.

please don't take this as a negative for doing a frame swap. all I am saying is that there will be lots of stuff you never thought of until you get to that point. as a mechanic doing a frame swap I had some insight going into the project and there are still times when I have said "well, I didn't think of that one". if you go ahead stay patient and try to get something done every day. if you get in over your head ask for help before the project leaves on a trailer pilotted by the new owner.

below is a pic of my 57 gmc ext cab on an 04 envoy awd frame. maaaaany years in the making because life happens and minds/outcome plans change as time goes on. this is a pic from this week. the project started 10 yrs ago at least. work, second job, grand kids and life all play a role.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
MARTINSR

Great realistic overview!

I did my Rambler stock, rebuilt the engine and did all the brakes with new lines, painted a few things like the engine compartment and under the hood. Put seat belts in it, swapped a few lights and such from the parts car, that took a few years spare time. Damn glad I didn't go further so I can spend time on my hobby while I am driving it every day.

This was 20 years ago when I was "almost done" with my truck...

This is today.

It's still "almost done."

Hopefully Ed will do better than us!

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #24
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsabo View Post
Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I truly have a lot to think about. The main thing is I appreciate all of your responses.
A few details. I am getting ready to retire in 4 years, the 47 has been in my garage and is currently being used as a drying rack for rough cut lumber. That goes with my next "career" as I will be building custom furniture and stuff. I want to use dad's old work truck as my new work truck... old guy, old truck, selling rustic furniture... so I don't need to swap anything, but my desire was to save a bit of money as I already own both vehicles and only need 1 of them. In my mind that was the best option giving me the desired outcome and only taking up one parking spot as I will be downsizing soon.

I have a lot more to think about now thanks to all of you, this forum does not disappoint as I was "Seeking knowledge" and you all delivered .
Thank you again, Ed
Thanks Ed for putting up with us.

What ever you choose there will be good info here for you.

Brian

Old 01-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #25
Bruces

I think if you re read post #3 above ,you guys might see that he has already done some s10 swaps .Why the discouragement for someone who has already been there done that and as far as I know finished a few ? Looks like he is an experienced frame swapper who now just wants to swap to a different frame and is asking for info on that swap ,not sure the point of the endless don't do it and just use the original frame posts .