The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
rod1701

69-72 side mouldings. Material? Restoration?

I am working on my 1970 Suburban. This is going to be a "weathered shop truck" sort of thing. I have wet sanded and cleaned up the copper color pain as best I can.

I am at the point where I want to polish up the mouldings. It is faded with a few dings but its all there. It is faded and cloudy/hazy. What material is it made from? Seems like aluminum?

What do I use to clean and polish this up? Father in law recommended Mother's chrome polish. I found another product online that was an aluminum oxidization remover. Their instructions were to remove oxidation then use a quality polish (like Mother's).

I am not planning to remove it from the truck but instead tape around and clean it up. So what do I use? Cleaner then polish? Soft towel? Buffing pad attachment to cordless drill? Any input/direction would be awesome.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 69-72 side mouldings. Material? Restoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod1701 View Post
I am working on my 1970 Suburban. This is going to be a "weathered shop truck" sort of thing. I have wet sanded and cleaned up the copper color pain as best I can.

I am at the point where I want to polish up the mouldings. It is faded with a few dings but its all there. It is faded and cloudy/hazy. What material is it made from? Seems like aluminum?

What do I use to clean and polish this up? Father in law recommended Mother's chrome polish. I found another product online that was an aluminum oxidization remover. Their instructions were to remove oxidation then use a quality polish (like Mother's).

I am not planning to remove it from the truck but instead tape around and clean it up. So what do I use? Cleaner then polish? Soft towel? Buffing pad attachment to cordless drill? Any input/direction would be awesome.
The truck looks good. The trim is anodized aluminum. Polishing aluminum trim is a lot of work. You really cant "polish" it unless you remove the anodizing. I would just clean it up the best I could with Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound ( or any good cleaner/polish) and put a coat of wax on it. Do it by hand, not with a polisher.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote