The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Greasey Harley

high volume oil pump vs stock

I am rebuilding an '87 5.7/350 for my 79 k10.
mild build:
flat top pistons 9.5:1, marine cam, TBI swirl port heads, HEI, Q-jet. This motor will probably never see 5K rpm's. It's a truck motor, built for low range torque.

I realize that a standard oil pump will deliver all the oil this motor ever needs.

Thing is though, ...the oil pressure drop that sbc's have at idle DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!
I know it shouldn't, but it does.

I like to look at the gauge and see good, steady oil pressure all the time, hot or cold, idle or WOT.

So, my question is:
(With the exception of the extra power it takes to turn a high volume pump), Is there REALLY any drawback to a using high volume pump on a stock build?
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: high volume oil pump vs stock

High volume pump won’t change your hot idle number. Higher pressure might.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
SunSoaked

Higher idle,thicker oil... accurate guage.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
kwmech

Just put a stock 396 pump on it, it'll bring up volume and pressure
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

IMO a HV oil pump should be accompanied by a larger capacity oil pan. Although if you are not turning much in the way of rpm's, engine oil capacity should not be an issue. While a HV oil pump may bump your psi a little, you can also achieve higher pressure with a standard oil pump by either changing the relief spring or adding a small washer or two between the pin and the spring. Also I believe you can purchase a standard volume pump with a high pressure spring already installed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
Greasey Harley

I have been doing some research. Forgive me if I am mistaken, the way I understand it is:

at lower RPM's pressure is a direct relationship between how much oil the pump is moving, and the resistance of the bearings, tolerances and oil passages. Basically, if you push more oil thru the same orifice, the pressure increases.

High volume pumps have bigger gears, and move more oil at all Rpm's

Once the pressure gets to a certain point, the bypass spring regulates the maximum pressure by opening the bypass, and keeping the pressure from going too high.

Standard pressure springs regulate Max pressure at 55-65psi, and high pressure springs regulate Max pressure around 75-80 psi.
Until the bypass opens, the oil pressure is decided by how much oil is being pushed through the motor.

----> High Volume pump = higher oil pressure lower Rpm's (until the bypass opens)

----> High Pressure pump = Higher Max oil pressure

----> HV-HP Pump makes pressure faster and has a higher Max pressure.

...at least that's the way I understand it after a whole bunch of reading, and talking to a couple of good engine builders.

Last edited by Greasey Harley; 08-26-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
sweetk30

10psi per 1k rpm i have always been told .

high volume can suck a pan dry .

guy i know who built motors for over 20 years said he hardly ever used a hv or hp pump on sbc or bbc builds .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
b454rat

I've used high volume pumps in every motor that ive changed the pump on. Both small block and big block, stock, mild or hot. Talked with many engine builders, some that built my motors. If there was something that they didn't agree with, they didn't do it. I've also used stock pans, and never ran out of oil. if you have a motor that has some miles, it will ensure your getting oil where it needs to be.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
homemade87

I also used high volume low pressure oil pumps in every first gen motor I had ever built . Any street engine is not a concern with sucking the pan dry . Only with high rpm long term runs like road racing .

Never a problem here . I drove mine stuff hard at times . Thats what I built it for .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

Melling has what they call "Shark Tooth Pumps” for the Chevy engines. These type of oil pumps feature helical cut gears instead of the usual straight cut spur gears. Big difference when you pre-oil your engine prior to break in, in the terms of what it takes to turn the oil pump once its primed vs the other type of oil pumps
Chevyrestorerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post

Thing is though, ...the oil pressure drop that sbc's have at idle DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!
I know it shouldn't, but it does.

I like to look at the gauge and see good, steady oil pressure all the time, hot or cold, idle or WOT.
What you want makes no sense. Lower rpm means less pump revs, less flow and so less pressure. Then theres the whole less stress on engine requiring less oil pressure. You can't have 60psi at all times, nor should you want it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

HV and high pressure pumps also wear uot your distributor gear faster...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
IMO a HV oil pump should be accompanied by a larger capacity oil pan. Although if you are not turning much in the way of rpm's, engine oil capacity should not be an issue. While a HV oil pump may bump your psi a little, you can also achieve higher pressure with a standard oil pump by either changing the relief spring or adding a small washer or two between the pin and the spring. Also I believe you can purchase a standard volume pump with a high pressure spring already installed.
I totally agree with Captainfab....to bring up another poster,,,(10 psi per 1000 rpms0 is right on! I have never run the pan dry, but I usually run a 6 or 7 Q pan....Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
cla511

Quote:
Newer vehicles have buffered gauges. They read in the middle for a normal operating range of pressures. Many temp gauges do the same thing. It keeps people from complaining. So basically they have turned the idiot light into an idiot gauge.

So what you are asking for in our stuff will not happen.
1986 K20 Sub 406/TH400

"Life's tough.....It's enough tougher if your stupid." John Wayne
cla511 is offline   Reply With Quote