The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #1876
Michel

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
If you're like me, you'll find them immediately AFTER you go buy another set.
If you are like me, far far away from part sources, you will have put them in a small box with tape on it and part name written, all well stored in a place you could find them easily.
This is what I do for 'rare' parts, I am also loosing a lot of other ones, mainly because I store them in the bin! hahaha

@MiraclePieCo , congratulations for the engine, going much quicker than you had expected !
P.S : I sent you a PM
Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #1877
idbeast

Well I'm back, 5 days of not being able to use my right arm for anything was a little rough! But doing interior seams...
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #1878
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got out there and cut some stuff off the old rad support to use to patch the replacement one (you know it's right then. ) and I got that welded on to the replacement, it's got weld thru primer applied and ready to finish up tomorrow.
Brian
Your moving along, so much metal work and takling it head on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Well I'm back, 5 days of not being able to use my right arm for anything was a little rough! But doing interior seams...
That’s a lot of hard work, good job
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #1879
DransportGarage

Quote:
OK, idbeast, now you're making me work. As we get older, we forget stuff, and I couldn't remember what happened to your arm. So I had to search back all the way to AUGUST 30TH (!) to figure out you were going in for heart exploratory surgery through the arm. How'd it go? What did they do? I hope all is well...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #1880
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
OK, idbeast, now you're making me work. As we get older, we forget stuff, and I couldn't remember what happened to your arm. So I had to search back all the way to AUGUST 30TH (!) to figure out you were going in for heart exploratory surgery through the arm. How'd it go? What did they do? I hope all is well...
Sorry about that Bob, and everyone else, last Friday I had a clogged lower left artery, they removed the blockage and put in a stint. The 5 lb weight limit and not using the right arm was to make sure the artery in my wrist healed completely. I'm doing really good now, and don't get tired walking!
Jim
Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #1881
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
That's great, what a milestone!

If you're like me, you'll find them immediately AFTER you go buy another set.
Right, that’s how it always seems to work...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #1882
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Right, that’s how it always seems to work...
I bought a knob for my cowl vent handle. Was going through some boxes just a week or so later and found that I already had TWO brand new ones!

Anyone need a cowl vent knob? LOL

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #1883
MARTINSR

Quote:
Sorry about that Bob, and everyone else, last Friday I had a clogged lower left artery, they removed the blockage and put in a stint. The 5 lb weight limit and not using the right arm was to make sure the artery in my wrist healed completely. I'm doing really good now, and don't get tired walking!
Jim
Oh damn Jim, prayers going your way, hope you feel better.

Brian

Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #1884
DransportGarage

Quote:
Jim
From what I hear, when they do that kind of repair you really feel a lot better. I hope that's the case for you, long term. I've also heard that the entry wound is worse than the rest of the procedure. Overall, I hope you're already over the hump.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #1885
idbeast

Quote:
Oh damn Jim, prayers going your way, hope you feel better.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
From what I hear, when they do that kind of repair you really feel a lot better. I hope that's the case for you, long term. I've also heard that the entry wound is worse than the rest of the procedure. Overall, I hope you're already over the hump.
Thanks Brian and Bob! I'm doing much better now, there is not much to getting it done, I was awake and watching the whole thing on the monitors!!!
The entry wound is at the end of my finger on my wrist, only about 3/32" across. heck I'm already back at work full time 9 hrs a day 6 days a week!!! It's amazing how simple it is now days!!!! The hardest thing about it all was taking the picture with my smart phone!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #1886
DransportGarage

Quote:
Thanks Brian and Bob! I'm doing much better now, there is not much to getting it done, I was awake and watching the whole thing on the monitors!!!
The entry wound is at the end of my finger on my wrist, only about 3/32" across. heck I'm already back at work full time 9 hrs a day 6 days a week!!! It's amazing how simple it is now days!!!! The hardest thing about it all was taking the picture with my smart phone!
Super news! ...and I was wrong about the entry wound stuff. A buddy of mine had a piece of a vein taken out of his leg to bypass a blockage in his coronary artery. THAT vein surgery caused him much more grief than the chest pain.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #1887
MARTINSR

My God it's amazing, a co-worker's mom had both hips replaced a few weeks apart and came home after each one, walking out after the second one MUCH Better than she walked in!

Brian

Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #1888
MARTINSR

My goal tonight, and an easy one I thought was to finish the rad support making it ready to be powder coated. Things were going well until I opened my eyes to see what I didn't want to see, there is some serious rust on the bottom that needs to be repaired. The power of the mind (yes even mine) is amazing, I have worked and worked this and didn't see this, seeing damage is what I do for a living but at home, I missed it because I didn't want to see it.

It also floors me that I have a rad support that was on the truck that had no rust, but I cut it up 20 years ago to do a Camaro clip that I soon figured out was NOT the way to go. So there is this rad support with no rust cut up that I will be throwing away, geeez.

Anyway, I will probably spend the whole weekend at the very least making repairing this rust, will probably have to make the inner support from scratch, we will see, maybe I will get a piece of angle iron, but I will see tomorrow.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #1889
mikebte

Completed the install of the rear sway bar, removed remainder of old wiring and bracket's hanging off chassis, finished routing and securing the fuel lines, bolted the engine to the engine mounting using the correct bolts, ran engine up to temp and triple checked for leaks.
Messes around with the timing that I have had issues with since the get go and I have it figured out. When I aquired the 283 years ago it had an Erson Gear Drive, I removed all that and installed the 305 balancer and chain cover. As it turns out the later 305 timing marks are not the same as a 283. Ha, issue may be sorted. But not until tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #1890
Black_Sheep

Front bumper is on, the hood is in place but needs to be adjusted before it can be closed...
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #1891
DransportGarage

Shot some primer, then watched the rain start. All front end parts (except the ones I forgot) are now at least sealed, if not completely painted. I have 5 days to shoot basecoat before I would have to scuff the primer. I just looked at the weather forecast. Rain chances every day for the next 7 days, and humidity no lower than 71% through next Saturday. As Martin Senour says, CRAP!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #1892
MARTINSR

Yep, the weather changes things!

Brian

Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #1893
MARTINSR

I was going to make a whole new inner bracket that I removed yesterday. I took another look and decided to repair the one I had that had hole rusted in it. I sand blasted it and the rad support where it goes and applied a weld thru primer, I will weld it together tomorrow.

It's so funny being the year before the truck didn't even use this inner support, same rad support and it didn't even use this. I drove my truck for years with the rad support that didn't even have it so I thought about even leaving it out. But being I had cleaned it up a little anyway, I figured I might as well weld it back in.

And I didn't prime over rust (at least not as bad a rust as you are seeing on this thing) I sand blasted it all where it will be hidden. After this is welded on, the whole thing will be sand blasted, Zinc coated, and powder coated by the service who will be doing the same thing to the frame for the truck.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #1894
mikebte

Quote:
I was going to make a whole new inner bracket that I removed yesterday. I took another look and decided to repair the one I had that had hole rusted in it. I sand blasted it and the rad support where it goes and applied a weld thru primer, I will weld it together tomorrow.
Brian
That’s looking good Brian
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #1895
vintovka

Made it to first Parade. Culmination of 50 year plan. Very small town as you can see.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #1896
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Made it to first Parade. Culmination of 50 year plan. Very small town as you can see.
Awesome! I was just there on vacation last year, My ex-wife lives in Brookings.

I got the rad support completely finished WHOOO HOOOO! It's ready for powder coating.

It's not crap but darn it's nice when a "complete" project gets finished.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #1897
MiraclePieCo

Quote:

It's so funny being the year before the truck didn't even use this inner support, same rad support and it didn't even use this. I drove my truck for years with the rad support that didn't even have it so I thought about even leaving it out. But being I had cleaned it up a little anyway, I figured I might as well weld it back in.

And I didn't prime over rust (at least not as bad a rust as you are seeing on this thing) I sand blasted it all where it will be hidden. After this is welded on, the whole thing will be sand blasted, Zinc coated, and powder coated by the service who will be doing the same thing to the frame for the truck.

Brian
I don't understand where that additional piece goes - is it a doubler for the bottom of the core support? I never really examined my core support when I had it out.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #1898
Black_Sheep

I had a little time between taking customers to the Vikings game and the grandkids coming for dinner so I threw the headlight bezels on...
Attached Images

Last edited by Black_Sheep; 09-23-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #1899
DransportGarage

Quote:
I had a little time between taking customers to the Vikings game and the grandkids coming for dinner so I threw the headlight bezels on...
The weather headline today was "rainy afternoon". I read it as I was standing in the sunshine in the back yard. We have this "weather ditz" who is there for cosmetic effect, and she had the weekend duty. BUT, the 3-hour break in the clouds brought the humidity down, so I shot the rest of my front end parts in primer.

That said, you might notice the door on the floor in the picture. I was done. Paint was on. I needed to scoot the doors so I could get my finished chassis back into the garage. I must have missed a screw in the new horse when I built it. The corner of the door is crushed. I can't touch it right now because the paint is wet. I'm 3 beers into recovery. It seems like the older I get the more I do this stupid stuff. (I'll be 70 in 2 weeks.) I'll spend 3 hours tomorrow fixing it while it rains. Two steps forward, one step back...
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 09-23-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #1900
DransportGarage

Quote:
It looks like you've tucked that bumper in closer to the body than the factory did too. Overall, LOOKIN' GREAT !!!